• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tipping Movers - how much?

deac29

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
I'm moving tomorrow and have movers loading everything for me. How much do you tip movers these days? We did all the packing and it's a cross-town move of a 3 bedroom house. It will probably be a full day job.

I moved in July from Alexandria to Roanoke (240 miles, I packed everything). I didn't tip them (bill was almost $1,700). Should I have? I didn't even think about it until now.

Wife and I made a similar move two years ago in the middle of the summer in Texas. The two dudes looked like they were going to collapse at the end so I gave them two gatorades and $50 each. They earned it.

$20 and water/gatorade is the way to go. Last time I had a REALLY big move, I also bought them lunch. They work hard.

"here's a tip: get a better job"

I worked as a mover for 6 months. This was after I had a law degree from a Top 10 school.

I moved in July from Alexandria to Roanoke (240 miles, I packed everything). I didn't tip them (bill was almost $1,700). Should I have? I didn't even think about it until now.

Most people don't know to do it. It's a nice surprise when it happens.

The moving company was actually the best job I've had to date. It pays well when you're busy. You get in great shape, and when you finish your work, you're done for the day.

$20 each, give them all the water/gatorade they want during the day (offer) and I typically throw in a case of beer.

In the moves I've done they wouldn't move it unless they packed it themselves, for liability reasons. If you ever go that route, make sure you have them unpack too, otherwise your house will be full of boxes and moving paper with nowhere to put your shit. If they unpack, which they usually try to avoid, they take all that packing material away and you just put your stuff away.

Think I tipped about $40 each.

I usually buy movers either a new pair of slacks or a nice wintercoat (depends on the season), but on my most recent move, I bought each guy on the crew a goldfish (with tank and a week's worth of food of course). To each his own, but I'd say creativity is best and always remember what comes around goes around.

i used friends from work...fed them well, watered them and had plenty of big cans of beer for them to drink.

Whatever you're thinking of tipping them, double it if they do a good job. It would be rare to regret being generous. Especially to any who've given you good service.

Whatever you're thinking of tipping them, double it if they do a good job. It would be rare to regret being generous. Especially to any who've given you good service.

Well if you double the number of goldfish, just make sure you buy a bigger bowl.

All of my moves (and there's been a lot of them) have been on the government's dime. They almost always do a shitty job. Every now and then they do okay, but I've never been impressed. I've never thought to tip, since I'm not the one paying the bill, but I don't think I would anyway because my shit's always broken and busted. However, we have always bought lunch and had plenty of drinks on hand.

My company used movers for three hours the other day loading and unloading a storage unit filled with not heavy things. I gave the driver/head guy $20 and the two other guys $15 and they seemed very appreciative.

In the early 90's when I was a mover for a summer job $20 was good not great, but sure better than nothing. $40 for the labor and $60 for the driver (who is responsible for packing the van) should be the norm nowadays. Back then I would get the occasional $50 which was kick ass.

I worked as a mover for about 6 months as well after school. It's tough work, if you think moving your own shit sucks...it's worse when you move someone else's shit. $20 is a pretty good baseline. If you live in a 3rd story apt with no elevator or it's a multi day job then you should think about giving more. It really varies, I moved a 6000 square foot house with 1 other person (because the old woman said it would probably only take 4 hours tops, but the house was full), we started at 8am and worked until 2-3am, with at most 30 minutes for lunch and dinner combined. it was the most tired I'd ever been I think and we got a $5 tip, I could've ripped that bitch's throat out. I also worked a 6 hour job with very few boxes and mostly driving and got tipped $100. But $20 for a days work ($12/hr wage), assuming nothing too unusual is satisfactory

Last edited:
Back