• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tipping Movers - how much?

I've given $20-25. I'd probably have given more if I wasn't charged by the hour and they weren't lazy mofos.

Whatever you're thinking of tipping them, double it if they do a good job. It would be rare to regret being generous. Especially to any who've given you good service.

Totally agree. I had two awesome guys do my last move in NYC. I kept adding to the tip mentally for how accommodating they were (the first apartment double booked the freight elevator so we had to switch the move to the afternoon) and after I realized how difficult the back end of the move was (fifth floor walkup, narrow stairway, started to rain at the end.)

I've only used pros once. It was Two Men and a Truck x2, so four men and two trucks and they worked all day. 3 out of the 4 of them busted ass, one was a slacker. I kept them supplied with gatorade, and at the end of the day I gave the head guy $100 and told him to split it up among them as he saw fit. They seemed happy.

The last time I moved anything of significance was an entire house of furniture, including a piano, from Tenn to the Big Ville. Two guys worked their ass off for 12 or 13 hours, including carrying big furniture up to second story and setting it up. I tipped them $100 each.

Tell them there is a nice tip in it if they take care of yo shit. Nothing worse than broken or scratched furniture. If they know they are gettin taken care of, they should take care of you. And be up front about water/gatorade fro the start as well.

what's up with all the water/gatorade? don't these guys plan to hydrate during their job?

The last time I moved anything of significance was an entire house of furniture, including a piano, from Tenn to the Big Ville. Two guys worked their ass off for 12 or 13 hours, including carrying big furniture up to second story and setting it up. I tipped them $100 each.

That seems low to me.

I don't know that I disagree, although they seemed pleased with it. I didn't have the slightest idea what was right and just guessed.

Back