• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

To Tip or Not to Tip?

Why would they rush you to eat? They are getting paid regardless how long it takes you. With the tipping method, quick table turnovers benefit the server more. The people being impacted the most are the ones waiting for a table.

Because they are being paid based on the amount of food ordered. More tables turned = more money. And without tipping, there is no negative outcome for the server when the customers feel rushed.

I would check my bill for an extra entree or round of drinks.

Less risk in getting caught now. If you get caught under the current system the tip drops precipitously. If you get caught under the automatic system, the extra food comes off and the server still gets 20%.

Less risk in getting caught now. If you get caught under the current system the tip drops precipitously. If you get caught under the automatic system, the extra food comes off and the server still gets 20%.

Seems like a talk with the manager would take care of that.

i honestly don't think tips impact a waiter's behavior at all. they don't know who's going to be a good or bad tipper until the end and a nice/privately owned restaurant, the staff is usually good to great. i only run into serving problems at chains and those people are going to be idiots at 1% or 25%

Tips are stupid. Gratuities are fine. If you think someone does a great job and deserves something extra, give them a gratuity. But people should be paid for doing a job- it shouldn't be dependent on the customers' opinions of their work and/or their ability to tip well. When I worked as a waiter, it was great to have those large tippers come in (worked 3rd shift at a Steak 'n Shake, strippers/bouncers were good tippers, but always in $1 bills), but you can still make good money by efficiently managing tables. This system gives you $10/hour or 20% of sales, so essentially just do the job the same way you used to and you won't get fired and you're guaranteed 20% tips for your shift. Not a bad deal.

i honestly don't think tips impact a waiter's behavior at all. they don't know who's going to be a good or bad tipper until the end and a nice/privately owned restaurant, the staff is usually good to great. i only run into serving problems at chains and those people are going to be idiots at 1% or 25%

I think there was an article posted in this thread or I saw somewhere else that said waiters give better service to people they think will be better tippers, which results in discrimination against customers who aren't white and don't look like they have money.

yeah, makes sense.

i'm just going to stick by my assertion that the service usually correlates with the type/quality of the restaurant and is divorced from tipping (you know, coming from a white male)

I know in England you aren't supposed to tip but I always did at the Pubs and when I did I told the bartender that I was American and just showing my appreciation. They always took it w/ a smile, I just felt bad not giving them something.

Back