• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

To Tip or Not to Tip?

At the ACL beer tent: "Here's your beer, and I always appreciate tips."

Well, I appreciate blowjobs, but I don't think either of us are going to get what we want right now.

I really don't appreciate being asked if I want to give a dollar or two when I'm buying groceries.

yeah, me either.
"want to round up for cancer?"

i came to buy chicken, not go on a guilt trip. yes, i realize i'm just being stingy and cheap. stop judging me.

yeah, me either.
"want to round up for cancer?"

i came to buy chicken, not go on a guilt trip. yes, i realize i'm just being stingy and cheap. stop judging me.

I read somewhere (and am on my phone now so don't want to look it up) that something about the way they aggregate the donations collected this way at stores has some drawback (like not as much as you think actually goes to the charity or something). Basically said if you want to donate then do it directly to the charity. I usually said no before, but that made me feel less guilty about it.

I read somewhere (and am on my phone now so don't want to look it up) that something about the way they aggregate the donations collected this way at stores has some drawback (like not as much as you think actually goes to the charity or something). Basically said if you want to donate then do it directly to the charity. I usually said no before, but that made me feel less guilty about it.

I figured this was the case. What kills me is when they say really fast, "wanttoroundupforcharity?" ...can you tell me about this charity? what am i donating to? where does my money go? i just don't like giving like that, where it's just tacked onto my grocery bill. OTOH, i'll more than happily buy a brown bag of canned goods to put in the back of the food pantry truck on my way out the door.

I've simplified it by making a personal policy. 20% is easy to figure out in my head and then I either round up or down to the dollar. This comes out a little less or a little more than 20%.

My barber charges $13 and I pay him $15. During the holidays I give him $20 or $25.

Last edited:
I too think its a great idea, but I'm anxious to see if the wait staff is as diligent with refilling drinks using this system, since I presume there are no charges for refills.

eta, it may be one of those places where they've got a fountain drink machine and you get your own refills. The website doesn't specify.

Last edited:
I'm with TSY. How's the service?

I'm going to assume that a place like this can be extra selective with their hiring and bring in quality staff, therefore the service will be good/great.

Prices will go up at least 20% and the staff will be incentivized to rush you through your meal. Why would customers support this?

Because otherwise the customer is paying the labor costs for the restaurant.

Prices will go up at least 20% and the staff will be incentivized to rush you through your meal. Why would customers support this?

Why would they rush you to eat? They are getting paid regardless how long it takes you. With the tipping method, quick table turnovers benefit the server more. The people being impacted the most are the ones waiting for a table.

We had a tipping thread awhile back with some really good discussion.

Back