• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

To Tip or Not to Tip?

a 50 dollar haircut? ugh

$50 is a little low. I have longish hair (3 inches or so below the shoulder) and get mine colored. Mine is $60 before tip. If you have gray hair it goes up because they have to change the process and have to use dye designed for gray hair.

The place I used to go charged $85 for a cut/color. I went one place in Winston (a LOT of girls from Wake went there and highly recommended them) that charged me $135 for my hair. I never went back. Now they have gone out of business.

a 50 dollar haircut? ugh

That's how much I pay to get my hair cut at the new place I'm going to up here. It's not pleasant but not any worse than paying $335 a month for a garage parking spot or $5/day in tolls to go to and from work :sick:

yep, $50 is totally normal if you're just getting a cut.
like RTQ, though, I get mine cut maybe once a year, so it's not too bad. I can't imagine spending $50 every six weeks or whatever.

Biggest problem with tipping folks is that I never have any cash. I am also not going to tip for things I don't want / don't care about. For example, when a shuttle driver practically sprints to get to my bag before me. Not going to tip you for that because I am perfectly willing and able to get it myself.

Obviously always tip waiters. Usually tip my barber. Valets I should tip more often than I do (the cash issue comes into play). Never tip housekeeping mainly because I always opt out of it (yay Green Choice).

yep, $50 is totally normal if you're just getting a cut.
like RTQ, though, I get mine cut maybe once a year, so it's not too bad. I can't imagine spending $50 every six weeks or whatever.

I know chick haircuts are expensive but it still infuriates me whenever I hear it.

I know chick haircuts are expensive but it still infuriates me whenever I hear it.

I would like a haircut soon but spending that much money on luxury/pampering when I can get it done for $7-10 elsewhere just seems like throwing money away.

I always tip housekeepers at hotels on the last day, usually about a dollar or two per day stayed. Tip on haircuts, waiters/bar obvi, dont use valet that much but would def tip.

The only thing I have trouble with is picking up food, dont do it that often, but we do pick up pizza some nights. They have a whole section of the restaurant dedicated to pick up, not like they're going out of their way to box a pizza for you. That being said, I guess it wouldn't hurt to leave a dollar.

I would like a haircut soon but spending that much money on luxury/pampering when I can get it done for $7-10 elsewhere just seems like throwing money away.

I understand this mentality, but at least as far as a haircut is concerned... I know that a $7-10 is not going to be as good. If you start looking at it like that, might as well realize you have scissors and *could* do it yourself fo' free. I figure if I'm getting a cut that's going to frame my money maker (lol) and I'm probably not going to change it for another year, I want to invest in someone who's going to take the time to do it well and understands how to work with thick waves/curls.

Obviously you spend your money how you want, but I don't think something as visible as a haircut that you have to work with/live with/deal with/see every single day is a waste of $40-50 bucks.

I understand this mentality, but at least as far as a haircut is concerned... I know that a $7-10 is not going to be as good. If you start looking at it like that, might as well realize you have scissors and *could* do it yourself fo' free. I figure if I'm getting a cut that's going to frame my money maker (lol) and I'm probably not going to change it for another year, I want to invest in someone who's going to take the time to do it well and understands how to work with thick waves/curls.

Obviously you spend your money how you want, but I don't think something as visible as a haircut that you have to work with/live with/deal with/see every single day is a waste of $40-50 bucks.

This is basically my view. And yes, $50 every 4-6 weeks is a significant annual expense. But I attend industry events or meetings with investors and company executives regularly enough that it matters to look well-groomed.

I mean come on, half the OGBroads wouldn't have played with WRS's junk if he had a fucking Great Clips little boy special.

WRS's secret is those chompers. They are bleached to perfection.

I am guilty of only coming around on the housekeeping tipping at hotels recently, but even if you put up a do not disturb and choose a green option during your stay, you still had someone clean and make up your room before you arrived and someone will have to clean after you leave as well. So it's not as if you're not using housekeeping at all.

I know, I know, it just seems so vain to justify that kind of cost. (TO ME. not judging you or other people.) I just don't really notice that much of a difference. And I'd be willing to let someone who had an idea of what they were doing cut my hair at home for free, but I wouldn't try myself because I am sure I couldn't cut in a straight line at the back of my head.

But the big plus of getting an expensive haircut is they blowdry and flat iron my hair so it is actually pretty for 24 hours.

Lol at $7 haircut. No wonder you're single. Have some pride in yourself.

:umkc:

$7? Is that even possible?

Checking online, Supercuts is twice that much.

I haven't gotten a cut there/for that cheap in 5-6 years, but I do think I still see the signs outside the store when they have $7 sales. I just googled $7 haircut sale and it looks like it is actually $7.99 at Great Clips.

I'm really picky about my hair so I pay more to have it cut properly.

Back