• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Today's Edition of "I Feel Old"

I still watch a lot of Seinfeld re-runs (sorry Milhouse), and it's amazing how the plot of just about every episode falls apart if cellphones were widespread. I guess that's true of lots of shows, but the ridiculous coincidences from that show really makes it stand out.

One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes is the one where they keep missing each other at the theater and they all end up seeing Rochelle Rochelle. Doesn't happen if there are cell phones... or even beepers.

Trying to coordinate meeting up with friends in HS, college and law school was always interesting without cell phones. But in a way I kind of miss it. I feel imcomplete without my cell phone now and couldn't give it up, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

i dropped dhtoy off at the airport sunday night for a week of work travel. as i was pulling out of the airport, i realized that he had left his cell phone in my car. after doing a u-turn and going back to the airport, running through the airport like a madwoman, and then having him paged to come meet me at security to get it (which he didn't hear), i finally realized that he was just going to have to live without it for a week. it's amazing the kind of panic i felt for a solid 24 hours after that. i completely freaked out that there was no way i was going to get to talk to him except through emails. i kept thinking "how the eff did my mom deal with my dad's travel before cell phones existed?"

then we realized that i could just call his hotel land line. i kind of forgot completely about land lines. haven't used one (except maybe to order room service or get a wake-up call) since probably high school.

i dropped dhtoy off at the airport sunday night for a week of work travel. as i was pulling out of the airport, i realized that he had left his cell phone in my car. after doing a u-turn and going back to the airport, running through the airport like a madwoman, and then having him paged to come meet me at security to get it (which he didn't hear), i finally realized that he was just going to have to live without it for a week. it's amazing the kind of panic i felt for a solid 24 hours after that. i completely freaked out that there was no way i was going to get to talk to him except through emails. i kept thinking "how the eff did my mom deal with my dad's travel before cell phones existed?"

then we realized that i could just call his hotel land line. i kind of forgot completely about land lines. haven't used one (except maybe to order room service or get a wake-up call) since probably high school.

This happened to me once and I had my wife overnight the phone to my hotel. My phone died 2 months ago and I was told it would take 5-7 days to fix. So I said no thanks and simply bought a new phone. I could not possibly go 5-7 days without my phone. And that is sad.

My son is about to turn 3. Realizing that the events of Sept, 11, 2001 will be as foreign to him as, say, the Kennedy assasination is to me makes me feel pretty old.

This happened to me once and I had my wife overnight the phone to my hotel. My phone died 2 months ago and I was told it would take 5-7 days to fix. So I said no thanks and simply bought a new phone. I could not possibly go 5-7 days without my phone. And that is sad.

yeah, i thought about overnighting it. but the trip is only a 3 day trip, so he told me not to worry about it. i still cried for a solid 12 hours about it though before i calmed down. it's ridiculous how we used to live without these things all the time, but now the thought of going 3 days without it caused me to break down like that.

My son is about to turn 3. Realizing that the events of Sept, 11, 2001 will be as foreign to him as, say, the Kennedy assasination is to me makes me feel pretty old.

Whoa.
The idea of a section in a history book trying to explain that day seems insufficient.

yeah, i thought about overnighting it. but the trip is only a 3 day trip, so he told me not to worry about it. i still cried for a solid 12 hours about it though before i calmed down. it's ridiculous how we used to live without these things all the time, but now the thought of going 3 days without it caused me to break down like that.
It is ridiculous. I hated having a cell phone on trips with my family in high school and college with nagging girlfriends calling all the time.

Shut up. I'm trying to relax on the beach. I don't care about the salad you had with your stupid friends.

I also hate how dependent I've become on it- a trip to the grocery store (.3 mi away) makes me antsy if I don't have it. That said, if I go somewhere (Appalachia, for example) and don't have great service, it doesn't phase me at all to be more or less without it.

yeah, this is what gets me.

i will say, too, though- a lot has changed since we were in high school; if nothing else, just the prevalence of the internet/cell phones. not everyone had a cell phone even when we got to college; now people practically come out of the womb with them. The world pre-smartphone was a a different beast.
Yes it has. I remember playing games on graphing calculators in class in high school. That was what we had to pass the time in a boring class. Or sleep.

I remember how excited I was when cable was available at our house.

Meeting up with your friends at Dead shows was always an adventure pre cell phone.

I will be at Will Call every hour on the hour.

I remember one time we were at RFK and me and my buddy wanted to leave early the next morning and drive to Pittsburgh and catch the Pirates game. When we found a hotel after the game, we had to call our friend's mom and leave the location which was relayed to the rest of our group when they called her.

Last edited:
Yes it has. I remember playing games on graphing calculators in class in high school. That was what we had to pass the time in a boring class. Or sleep.

how often are you having to ask kids to put their phones away these days? are cell phone rules at school pretty strict?

I remember how excited I was when cable was available at our house.

This made me think of how excited my family was when we got our first VCR with a remote... it wasn't wireless, but instead had a cord that stretched out 10 or so feet. We thought it was the most amazing thing ever.

Every time I've traveled to Europe (or anywhere outside the US), I've been too cheap to shell out $$ to make my phone internationally accessible. So meeting up with people or coordinating schedules requires... wait for it... brain power and reliability. You have to pick a place to meet, show up on time, and stay there until everyone has arrived. Good times.

It's a nice change of pace from the "leaving the house", "on the metro", "walking to the restaurant now" texts that I get from friends when meeting for dinner, etc.

Wait, not to sound insensitive, but you literally cried for 12 straight hours?

Wait, not to sound insensitive, but you literally cried for 12 straight hours?

not straight, but yeah, pretty much. even i admitted it was ridiculous. i have no idea why it upset me as much as it did.

Dang. Tho I get the impression my gf would be similarly upset in the same situation. As a dude, I can't imagine crying for 12 hours unless either The Pianist was on loop or Curtis Granderson died or something.

i imagine it was more of a weepy existence, with more tears coming if she thought about it again. i can see myself getting to a similar spot in a similar situation.
-judgement-free zone-

You are old when you are at an age and remember your Dad (or Mom) at that very age.

Back