• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tommy Amaker

Can we refrain from comparing coaches that have been to the Sweet 16, landed top 5 recruiting classes, and won the NIT to Bzzz? Amaker would be a very good hire. I know everyone wants Shaka and I believe Wake will attempt to make such a hire...but the interest has to be mutual. So if we end up 2-3 down the list, who do you expect to hire? Hiring some guy from Manhattan is a huge risk compared to hiring a guy who coached and recruited in high major conferences. For a school like Wake, an Amaker is going to be high on the list no matter how much you try to irrationally paint his career to be Bzzz-esque.

Last edited:
And as I have said before, it would be a shock of shock if Marshall ends up at Wake. It would mean he came begging to us and we know that isn't going to happen.

Can we refrain from comparing coaches that have been to the Sweet 16, landed top 5 recruiting classes, and won the NIT to Bzzz? Amaker would be a very good hire. I know everyone wants Shaka and I believe Wake will attempt to make such a hire...but the interest has to be mutual. So if we end up 2-3 down the list, who do you expect to hire? Hiring some guy from Manhattan is a huge risk compared to hiring a guy who coached and recruited in high major conferences. For a school like Wake, an Amaker is going to be high on the list no matter how much you try to irrationally paint his career to be Bzzz-esque.

If you're talking about my post, it was serious.

Here's the tweet to Jeff Goodman.

Tom Abatemarco
@abatemarco_tom

@GoodmanESPN Jeff he will take it perfect match

WakeForestRanger--

I am not referring to your post. I was referring to the people that said hiring Amaker would be like hiring Bzzz. That makes our fanbase look like lunatics.

Last edited:
We could do a lot worse than Amaker. I'd also like to think we could do a lot better (including guys like Archie).

Seth Davis is doing the studio show for the tournament tonight so I do not believe this tweet:

Seth Davis @SethDavisHoops · 6h ago
Wake Forest AD Ron Wellman is in the building. Said it may be a while before he hires a coach bc many candidates are still coaching.

meant that Ron was in Spokane watching Amaker like many had guessed. I don't think Seth was ever in Spokane.

Yes, but Amaker was not particularly successful at either Seton Hall or Michigan, and Michigan is pretty easy to recruit to. K's coaching tree is not particularly impressive. Pitino's is much, much better. Having said that, I'm sure Wellman will prefer Amaker.

Yes, but Amaker was not particularly successful at either Seton Hall or Michigan, and Michigan is pretty easy to recruit to.

I agree with the argument that he doesn't do as well in major conference play and ACC will be a completely different beast. To say Michigan was easy to recruit to at that time is a little far off, they recently made the basketball renovations needed and have seen a tremendous amount of recruiting from Bacari Alexander. I don't think michigan was as hard a sell when Amaker was there though.

Compared to other Ivy League programs, Harvard isn't a tough sell either. Which Ivy would you expect would be the top program based on rep, location, and resources? Harvard. Easy.

I'm not impressed that Amaker can win the Ivy after stumbling through the Big East and Big Ten.

Uh sure, except for the winning record at each stop. Let's not be overly dramatic.

As Lee Corso would say, "not so fast!" He didn't have winning overall numbers at either Seton Hall or Michigan. Also very limited post season success, apart from NIT. Very admirable what he's managed to do at Harvard. This is a difference beast. It's not the Ivy League. Out of all the potential hires out there, he's the blandest of the group. X's and O's are important but to me he just screams, well, such a safe and by the book dude. Doesn't this sound familiar? If this is going to be your thing, then have the resume to back it up a la Howland.

Last edited:
Let us not forget Buzz was successful at a mid major but had already flopped at at high major program. This reminds me too much of that.

I really, really want a coach I can feel excited about. Amaker is NOT it. Please, no!

Compared to other Ivy League programs, Harvard isn't a tough sell either. Which Ivy would you expect would be the top program based on rep, location, and resources? Harvard. Easy.

I'm not impressed that Amaker can win the Ivy after stumbling through the Big East and Big Ten.

Ph, in Amamker's favor on the other hand, the top Ivy League hoops programs have traditionally - going back to the early 1960s - been Penn and Princeton. Harvard has only recently become a significant player in Ivy League basketball. Having said that, I agree with the criticisms. Of our current choices - especially in light of our huge advantages of the moment (plenty of money, new arena, ACC, pending retirements at Duke and UNC, best job available this year) - Amaker is one of the least palatable solutions.

Yeah. I think Harvard had severely underachieved pre-Amaker.

I think he would be a good choice and likely better than we will ultimately land with, BUT like it or not dookies will not be welcome. AND I understand he is a bleeding heart liberal. Like it or not we are a Baptist/conservative School. And I know many of you will want to argue that point with me, but it does factor into these decisions.

We quit being a Baptist school years ago.

Back