• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tommy Amaker

Again, not sure why the hyperbole is necessary when you can make your point without it. A Ferrari? Are you kidding? Seton Hall hadn't been to the NCAAT in 4 years when he got the job and it had been 10 since it made the Final 4. They were coming off 12-16 and 10-18 years when Amaker got that job. And if "totalling the Ferrari" is 4 postseason appearances in 4 years, including a Sweet 16 and a top 2 recruiting class, okay. Likewise, Michigan was on probation, hadn't made the NCAAT in 4 years, and was coming off a 10-18 season.

He had what should have been a multiple Final Four team (by their repeated own admission and proclamation), and turned it into probably the most dysfunctional team of the last 30 years. He had all the juice in the world when he took that job and drastically underperformed. Honestly, the momentum he had when he got to Seton Hall at the time was on par with what Shaka would have at Wake now. And he not only lost, but left the program in complete Bzz-esque disarray.

I'm not really concerned about Amaker's coaching or recruiting ability. I also weigh his recent unprecedented success at Harvard more significantly than his experiences at Seton Hall and Michigan, when he was much more green. I know I'm better at my job now than I was 10 years ago, and the available evidence seems to show Amaker is as well.

My main concern with Amaker is that he is a nice, measured guy and not an effervescent personality. He's not a weirdo like [Redacted], but not a jokester like Skip or a fiery bastard like K. In other circumstances, I would say he's a great fit for us, but given where we are coming off [Redacted], we may need someone willing to really reach out to the fanbase and make that extra effort to rally the troops. Not sure that's Amaker's personality. On the other hand, if he comes in, says nice things in the press conference (as I think he would), lands some good recruits (as his track record indicates he would), and wins basketball games, I think folks would be fine with him.

How did Amaker get the Michigan job if he was such a shit show at SH?

I answered this on another thread but a huge push from the Duke-centric media. I'll add that the value of a Coach K protege was very high in 2001.

DO NOT WANT

In the summer of 2010, the NCAA informed Harvard that Amaker’s behavior constituted impermissible recruiting behavior.[136] Harvard and the NCAA negotiated a settlement in which the university would "declare" what the NCAA consented to classify as secondary violations.[144] Under the terms of the agreement, Harvard accepted punitive recruiting restrictions for the 2010–11 season.[145] These were the first NCAA penalties ever assessed against the Harvard men’s basketball program and the first instance of the Ivy League being overruled on a formal rules interpretation.[146]

In the summer of 2010, the NCAA informed Harvard that Amaker’s behavior constituted impermissible recruiting behavior.[136] Harvard and the NCAA negotiated a settlement in which the university would "declare" what the NCAA consented to classify as secondary violations.[144] Under the terms of the agreement, Harvard accepted punitive recruiting restrictions for the 2010–11 season.[145] These were the first NCAA penalties ever assessed against the Harvard men’s basketball program and the first instance of the Ivy League being overruled on a formal rules interpretation.[146]

Everyone send this to Hatch. Amaker doesn't fit Wake's "culture" and recruits players who jerk off in their car.

I think he would be a good choice and likely better than we will ultimately land with, BUT like it or not dookies will not be welcome. AND I understand he is a bleeding heart liberal. Like it or not we are a Baptist/conservative School. And I know many of you will want to argue that point with me, but it does factor into these decisions.

Lol

My guess is Amaker would be an above-average recruiter at Wake. Something on a level near or above Coach Prosser. I'm not super impressed by his offensive sets and execution, however.

I'd take Miller over him, and probably White. Given my relatively well-known thoughts about Howland, I'd take Amaker over him.

Smart
Jay wright pipe dream
Marshall
Miller
White
Amaker
Oh shit, we have to take Howland.

Well, this post didn't particularly age well.

Back