• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tony Woods to Texas

Disagree somewhat that he wasn't coached. Dino recognized RJ's point re shitty hands and told him to just run to the rim when a shot went up. It worked well.

There were only 90 guys in the country who averaged 8 rebounds a game last year....that's a decent bet for Phan and Doofus imo

There were only 90 guys in the country who averaged 8 rebounds a game last year....that's a decent bet for Phan and Doofus imo

Seriously? That surprises me. You'd think some bigs could get 9 boards a game just by accident.

Well you've got to remember that for every potential rebound there are 9 other guys trying to get it too.

I did a little math to show how tough it is. In ACC games last season there were 10,889 FGA and 4,669 FGA, meaning there were 6,220 missed shots or potential rebounds. Across 96 league games, that's an average of 64.8 potential rebounds per game. A player playing 30 minutes a game, had an average of 48.6 potential rebounds he could get. To average 8 boards a game, that player would have to rebound about 1 of every 6 misses, offensive and defensive.

That puts great rebounding into context.

Barnes thinks he can do it.

"I don’t think Tony would mind me saying what I’m going to say publicly,’’ Barnes said. “My goal with Tony is to have him play as hard as he possibly can and to always keep his head up and keep his chin up and believe in himself and know that I believe in him. And if he would do that, by accident, without even improving his skills, by accident he could get himself 10 points, 10 rebounds and a half-dozen blocked shots just by accident – if he would just play hard all the time and believe in himself and never worry about what just happened but be focused always on the next thing. And if he does that because of his great length and athleticism and God-given ability by accident he can be a productive player on the court."

Barnes thinks he can do it.

"I don’t think Tony would mind me saying what I’m going to say publicly,’’ Barnes said. “My goal with Tony is to have him play as hard as he possibly can and to always keep his head up and keep his chin up and believe in himself and know that I believe in him. And if he would do that, by accident, without even improving his skills, by accident he could get himself 10 points, 10 rebounds and a half-dozen blocked shots just by accident – if he would just play hard all the time and believe in himself and never worry about what just happened but be focused always on the next thing. And if he does that because of his great length and athleticism and God-given ability by accident he can be a productive player on the court."

Barnes likes the word accident.

Isn't that almost exactly what Bz said about Ty?

ETA - Oh wait, that IS exactly what Bz said about Ty. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Wow Louisville looks pretty dumb right now. They WOULD have taken Woods even after his incident but he threw it back in their faces. I'm sure a lot of schools would have "taken a chance" on Woods.... he should have done his homework before committing so soon.

Wow Louisville looks pretty dumb right now. They WOULD have taken Woods even after his incident but he threw it back in their faces. I'm sure a lot of schools would have "taken a chance" on Woods.... he should have done his homework before committing so soon.

Summer Session II starts in about a month.

I'm going down to Austin for the 4th. I'll make sure to alert the local females to watch out for Tony and his temper.

Tony may be their default starting center. they really don't have anyone else.

You can improve marginal hands to being mediocre. He's got hands of stone.

It was obvious from his first games and never improved.

If your hands are that bad, your upside is severely limited.

Can you link the set-in-stone chart for maximum potential based on arbitrary opinions on abilities?

Never seen anything that said you can't improve your hands/touch...or that there is a set limit.

and 724, I'll take the bet as well!...

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
You can improve marginal hands to mediocre. I've never seen Dick Stuart/roberto Duran hands improved dramatically.

It's possible that it could hpapen like it's possible that Scarlett Johannson will be my birthday present.

Agreed, RJ. That's my favorite part about some of our recent big men like Carson and, reportedly, Daniel Green. Good hands.

Andre is supposed to have good hands and good feet.

Well you've got to remember that for every potential rebound there are 9 other guys trying to get it too.

I did a little math to show how tough it is. In ACC games last season there were 10,889 FGA and 4,669 FGA, meaning there were 6,220 missed shots or potential rebounds. Across 96 league games, that's an average of 64.8 potential rebounds per game. A player playing 30 minutes a game, had an average of 48.6 potential rebounds he could get. To average 8 boards a game, that player would have to rebound about 1 of every 6 misses, offensive and defensive.

That puts great rebounding into context.

I agree with your point that rebounding is tough to do consistently. And to average eight, you need twelve a game for every game you pull four. It is all about hustle, effort, and studying tendencies (size and strength help too).

However, I must point out that there are a few more rebounds available in a game from live ball misses from the line. I do not think it changes your conclusion, just the numbers.

Of course. Good call. Definitely changes the numbers. Makes it closer to 57 potential rebounds a game on average.

As for Woods, this is just getting more and more sad.

Back