• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Too Many Bowl slots; Not enough ACC teams

deacsrus

Reaction score
With four weeks remaining, only Clemson, Wake, UVA and Pittsburg have cliched a berth. The league gets 11 berths and a possible 12th berth with the Citrus Bowl. If Clemson wins out, another team is eliminated. Right now, that would mean there are seven ACC teams for twelve possible spots. However, Notre Dame will drop into the ACC bowl lineup if it does not go to the CFP bowl games. Time to expand the ACC.

For this year, I don't care about Bowl slots 4 thru 12.

Wrong conclusion. Time to contract those meaningless bowls. When will the fans wake up to the fact that these are essentially exhibition games? I think pro prospects sitting out their bowl games will help people understand this.

You get like 20 extra practices if you make a bowl and now with the four game freshman rule before you exhaust a redshirt season it makes even more sense to have bowls. They’ve always been exhibition games and with the tv money they aren’t going anywhere.

I’ve never understood football fans complaining about bowl games. They’re just additional football games to watch and enjoy. Relax.

I’d much rather watch a meaningless bowl game on TV than a meaningless basketball or hockey game, which are the only other sports options in late December. Keep all the bowls.

Time to expand the ACC.[/QUOTE]

Time to play better football. I will go with reorganize the ACC divisions. :cool:

I’d much rather watch a meaningless bowl game on TV than a meaningless basketball or hockey game, which are the only other sports options in late December. Keep all the bowls.

Absolutely. I believe the tv ratings show that the most meaningless bowl games draw more viewers than most basketball games.

The Chico's Bail Bonds Bowl played in Duluth would still be more interesting than the NCAAT play-in games.

Wrong conclusion. Time to contract those meaningless bowls. When will the fans wake up to the fact that these are essentially exhibition games? I think pro prospects sitting out their bowl games will help people understand this.

Bowl games are fun for the players and for the fans. They are great TV during the holiday season.

seems to be a real stick in the mud position to want to reduce the number of bowls.

I am curious about the economics of so many bowls

hard to believe some of them make any money, but they must given their continued existence

Espn owns like 70 percent of them so they all make money off of the ads ESPN sells. Don’t know how many make money off ticket sales or anything

I am curious about the economics of so many bowls

hard to believe some of them make any money, but they must given their continued existence

Espn owns like 70 percent of them so they all make money off of the ads ESPN sells. Don’t know how many make money off ticket sales or anything

Pretty sure this is correct. I don't know anything about ad sales on this scale, but I imagine they're buying ad space in bulk, so they're not just buying for the Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl. They're buying for all or most of the ESPN bowls.

Keep in mind several bowls take place at times where the sports world wouldn't really be watching anything else. The Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl is on Friday, December 20 at 2:00 pm. That's either the last day of work or first day off for many people. But enough people will watch to make it profitable.

A large part of the nation just sits on their arse looking for something to do over the last two weeks of December. Bowl games help fill a sports viewer-ship and gambling craving during this time. ESPN doesn't care if Ford Field is vacant for the Quick Lane Bowl. It's live programming which enough people will at least check out for long enough for ESPN to sell ads to Progressive and Roman.

Back