• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Torture Report Released

Doesn't it speak to poor government oversight if any credible intelligence is not documented?

I'll just quote Mr. Kerrey on this since he says it clearer than I would.

Pretty interesting to read some of the conclusions in the report (no credible intelligence, etc) and then read that they didn't interview a single person.

$40M report that didn't have any interviews? Or recommendations?

Nice work, guys. Take tomorrow off.

The "they didn't interview anyone" talking point is one of the most ridiculous I've ever heard. The investigators went through 6 million cables. The CIA has lied about everything and destroyed evidence on the program. Hayden lied under oath. Thinking they deserve some hearing beyond their own written words is stupid. Have you heard Rizzo and Yoo on radio or TV yesterday or today?

We're talking about war crimes. We ratified the convention against torture in 1994. Bush, Cheney, Yoo, Rizzo, Hayden, and the interrogators need to be tried. There's no excuse.

We anally raped people with feeding and rehydration tubes when there was absolutely no medical need. But LK and JHMD think the problem is we relied on the rapists's written word and didn't go back for interviews? That's special.

We anally raped people with feeding and rehydration tubes when there was absolutely no medical need. But LK and JHMD think the problem is we relied on the rapists's written word and didn't go back for interviews? That's special.

straw-man.jpg

Six million cables. But we needed to interview people who we know are perjurers and who destroyed tapes and tried to hack the committee's computers. Seems legit.

Six million cables. But we needed to interview people who we know are perjurers and who destroyed tapes and tried to hack the committee's computers. Seems legit.

were trying to with the IRS

There's absolutely no justification for not putting Cheney and CIA people in jail. Or maybe we should turn them over to a war crimes tribunal. They knowingly broke international law. They knowing and wantonly committed war crimes.

A couple of groups of people who be immediately indicted are the ones who hung the guy who bombed the USS Cole from the ceiling by his arms, blindfolded him, held a gun to his head and had a power drill which they turned on and off.

There was a man who put in a room in Afghanistan i t-shirt and underwear in sub-freezing weather until he died.

The people who tortured Abu Zebaydah for two years after none of his current intel was proven useful.

Whether you like it or not, every one of the people who participated, created, approved and ordered of any of these events should be in jail. Each of them and all the way up to Cheney are actually worse than ISIS as our people are not supposed to be barbaric terrorists and are supposed to know better.

There is no justification or defense for these and other actions.

Don't wonder why people attack us. These barbaric, illegal and immoral actions cause the attacks.

The CIA doesn't dispute the actions. They just think it matters that the waterboarding, sleep deprivation, anal rapes, and murders by hypothermia were authorized by the White House and that there was maybe some small amount of useful intelligence gathered. But the Convention Against Torture specifically says "no exceptional circumstances whatsoever" can justify torture and orders from superiors can't justify torture. We ratified it in 1994. What useful information could an interview possibly provide?

A couple of groups of people who be immediately indicted are the ones who hung the guy who bombed the USS Cole from the ceiling by his arms, blindfolded him, held a gun to his head and had a power drill which they turned on and off.

There was a man who put in a room in Afghanistan i t-shirt and underwear in sub-freezing weather until he died.

The people who tortured Abu Zebaydah for two years after none of his current intel was proven useful.

Whether you like it or not, every one of the people who participated, created, approved and ordered of any of these events should be in jail. Each of them and all the way up to Cheney are actually worse than ISIS as our people are not supposed to be barbaric terrorists and are supposed to know better.

Don't wonder why people attack us. These barbaric, illegal and immoral actions cause the attacks.

I would take issue with the "worse than ISIS" comment and the idea that these actions cause the attacks. There are a long list of reasons why terrorists do what they do, and torture is not near the top.

"I do not need to read the report to know that the Democratic staff alone wrote it. The Republicans checked out early when they determined that their counterparts started out with the premise that the CIA was guilty and then worked to prove it."

That's such a fucking lame excuse. The CIA isn't Republican. You refused to participate in the process, then bitched that you didn't get to participate after you quit, and then blamed the people who did participate for writing it?

Here is one of the many articles that says our use of torture help recruiting for terrorist groups:

http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...elps-al-qaeda-recruit-more-terrorists/274956/

There are hundreds more.

Why are those people worse than ISIS? We are supposed to be better than barbarians. We signed the Geneva Convention. Our people are supposed to follow the rule of law.

But if we act like the barbarians, we are worse than them. Beheading someone is horrible, but it is a more humane execution method than stripping someone and freezing them to death.

"I do not need to read the report to know that the Democratic staff alone wrote it. The Republicans checked out early when they determined that their counterparts started out with the premise that the CIA was guilty and then worked to prove it."

That's such a fucking lame excuse. The CIA isn't Republican. You refused to participate in the process, then bitched that you didn't get to participate after you quit, and then blamed the people who did participate for writing it?

Well you know, lobbyists gotta suck up to the incoming majority somehow

I would take issue with the "worse than ISIS" comment and the idea that these actions cause the attacks. There are a long list of reasons why terrorists do what they do, and torture is not near the top.

Hopefully being not "worse than ISIS" isn't the baseline for acceptable behavior.

Geezus - that is unreal. Actually makes me sick that you would think that.

"I will wait until I have fully read and considered Tuesday's report to enter the debate over whether the CIA handled interrogation of detainees in an appropriate manner."

"I do not need to read the report to know that the Democratic staff alone wrote it."

Those statements are two paragraphs apart...

Cheney had no problem lying to the American public to send millions of GIs into an immoral war. He has a major responsibility in the deaths of over 4000 American heroes, the maiming of tens of thousands more, the deaths of over 100,000 Iraqis (who were never a threat to America) and who knows many more were terribly injured or their homes destroyed.

He know what torture is but has no problem using it. He was the power behind the torture.

If it's possible, what makes him an even worse human being is all the BS deferments he took to avoid being drafted. He is the ultimate chickenhawk. He has no problem sending your son or daughter or other family member to war to die. But when it was his time to serve, he went to the ends of the law to avoid it.

Spilling your family's blood for his immoral wars is fine, but never ask him to put himself on the line.

He is one of the worst human beings American politics has ever produced.

Back