• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2011/12 Premier League Thread (NWT)

someone explain what they mean by high line?

Putting your defenders on a high line means playing them further up field. Gives the attacking team less space for passes to feet. They have to play balls into the space behind the defenders and run onto it. This can work against slower attacks or for teams with quick defenders or a goalie who can cut off through balls. Not a great idea against a team with Rooney/Chicharito/Welbeck/Young.

Is anyone here a GK that can explain what is going on with De Gea? Seems like he's very good with reactions and reflexes and athletic plays, but just has some really shaky moments with chances that aren't that tough.

He's 20. That's like starting a 15/16 yo at any other position. He's gonna be inconsistent and make poor choices. I hope it doesn't kill his confidence.

I think Wenger may be thinking that he has no chance of stopping them from possessing if he plays deeper with this bunch. They'd just be absorbing pressure the whole time. At least they've managed something in attack this way, though obviously it hasn't worked in defense.

He's 20. That's like starting a 15/16 yo at any other position. He's gonna be inconsistent and make poor choices. I hope it doesn't kill his confidence.

True, but he's had a couple of mistakes that no keeper of any age (well, maybe grade school) would be excused from.

I, for one, hope it DOES kill his confidence and then Man U sells him to us whenever Timmy puts his gloves away.

someone explain what they mean by high line?

High line refers to the style of defense the back line is playing. It basically means that the defenders are pushed farther up the field or closer to the action to cut down on space for attacking runs while forcing the other team to stay onside.

Looked like de Gea over thought the Walcott goal thinking it was going to be a cross and his feet got stuck under him. He will learn from that.

Looked like de Gea over thought the Walcott goal thinking it was going to be a cross and his feet got stuck under him. He will learn from that.

Sweet Jesus Jenkinson is slow.

Lol it's gonna take like 5 quality signings to fix this mess at Arsenal....at least Arsene loves to spend!

If RvP and Arshavin weren't useless today, this could be tied. Arsenal look fine in the 2nd half.

Are those Arsenal fans yelling that loudly in the background?

Nani surely has money on this game. Easily the worst game I've seen from him.

If RvP and Arshavin weren't useless today, this could be tied. Arsenal look fine in the 2nd half.

I guess we disagree on the definition of "look fine"

and Arshavin being useless doesn't appear like it's going to change...

I guess we disagree on the definition of "look fine"

and Arshavin being useless doesn't appear like it's going to change...

They certainly don't look good, but they were attacking pretty well and should have scored 2. Not terrible considering the players they have out there.

Dangit surely Rooney has to not score in a game eventually...

Oh well, long season. Nani's getting the cut from me though. He's being left out of the moves all too often. Dunno who I'll pick up though.

And of course he scores now that they're trying to get everyone involved lol. I'll take it, still don't feel like he's at the tip of the spear in their attack the way things look now though.

Back