• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2015/16 Premier League Thread (NWT)

So this is a video of a guy getting knocked out by a goalkeeper in Ukraine. He swallowed his tongue in the process and only survived because his opponent reached into his mouth and pulled his tongue out of the way.

Holy shit.

So this is a video of a guy getting knocked out by a goalkeeper in Ukraine. He swallowed his tongue in the process and only survived because his opponent reached into his mouth and pulled his tongue out of the way.

Holy shit.

holy shit how scary

about 6 months ago, I thought Sterling was really overrated and that we should loan him out to a lower level Prem or Championship team
:couch:

rumored/leaked Tottenham away
js0utv.jpg

about 6 months ago, I thought Sterling was really overrated and that we should loan him out to a lower level Prem or Championship team
:couch:

You were clearly very, very wrong.

I was driving during this game. How did Jordan Henderson miss that sitter at 2:10?

What's the latest on Sherwood, BTW? Something obviously happened.

I thought Sterling should have gone for goal himself. Henderson isn't the best finisher...

this is needed:

Oliver Kay
‏@OliverKayTimes Much talk of how LFC "only" need to win next 6. That would be 14 straight wins, a feat managed only once in top flight EVER. Unlikely surely

I was driving during this game. How did Jordan Henderson miss that sitter at 2:10?

The entire pub lost their shit when Henderson missed that sitter.

It was amazing to me to see the difference between Liverpool and Spurs yesterday. Liverpool played with so much more energy and constantly attacked with numbers. On the other side, there was one breakaway that Spurs had where their player was all by himself in our penalty area, his other teammates were just not interested in helping out.

Keep in mind this was against Spurs. Easiest way to look like a football deity.

Sherwood is in way over his head. The announcers yesterday were just saying what the blog community has been complaining about for months. If you're going to play a high line, you must pressure the ball in midfield. Pool - and don't get me wrong, they're a great attacking side - were free to attempt through ball after through ball and just shredded our CBs. Add in that Naughton on the right is meh and Rose looked perhaps the most disinterested I've ever seen a player look (he only attempted ONE TACKLE)...

eta: The first third of the season (the decent part under AVB), he was combining the high line and midfield pressure to great effect. His problem was that congesting the field, while it quite effectively prevented the opposition from scoring, also usually prevented us from scoring. He couldn't figure that out. We went downhill when he gave up on the pressing midfield to attempt to score more because it left the high line out. Sherwood began by lowering the block and playing silly attacking formations but is now running that same high line with a midfield unsuited to protecting it and we're getting shelled. Hope my history is accurate.

Consider the preferred starting midfield three under AVB and Sherwood: Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho (good pressing, no incisiveness) vs. Bentaleb, Sigurdsson, Eriksen (no pressing, more attacking in theory but in reality the ball spends more time in our net than in our possession).

Last edited:
Van Gaal will save us! Hopefully they can hire someone who can at least get success out of Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho, etc. It would be a shame if those guys were considered a failed experiment and allowed to leave. A team like:

--Townsend------Soldado-------Lamela------

-------------------Eriksen-------------------

------Paulinho------------Sandro------------

--Decent LB---Verts--Chiriches---Walker-----

-----------------Lloris-----------------------

Has a hell of a chance of being successful. Just need to get a manager to get them playing the right way and giving a shit. Once AVB left, Timmy came in, had a mini-resurgence because Adebayor decided to play hard for a few weeks, but now it's back to the same old shit. At least batterings like yesterday ensure that Tactical Timmy ain't comin back.

Yo Brasky ya boy Naismith looked really good as a sub today.

Also how about that McGeady pass from midfield?

Fulham played about 60 minutes of really good footy today, their pressing really made us stumble out of the gate but ultimately tactics and skill won the day.

Martinez's tie situation tho...

I still think Naismith is a DONK but he was impressive Sunday. He still does the annoying thing of playing a first touch side or back pass anytime a ball comes to him in the midfield. I wonder if RM is so terrified of him dribbling in traffic, that he has forced Naismith to do that. If so good job by ROBERTO.

Your assessment of him is laughable haha.

He is not world class or anything, but he's such a nice lift off the bench.

He's only terrible when he has to be the focal point of the attack.

I think we need to be worried about Mirallas's development. Gerry is quickly becoming the favored option, and we only have him through season's end. Mirallas needs to look up and spot the open men, and not run into traffic so often. Ever since his wonder FK goal, he has been largely absent from our attack.

Stones was pretty MONTE this weekend though. Dude just cut through the middle of the park. He also played better defending space than previous weeks. Not worried about him in the air or winning tackles, but he still needs to pick up some positioning. He has learned a TON from Jags, you can tell.

My coaching search #scoop will be, and hopefully remain, a Premier League Thread exclusive. These tidbits of information must remain here for us soccer fans to ponder and debate. No names are attached to this report.

• You have heard that money is no object. This is correct.
  • We are targeting an elite level of coach. We have offered one such coach and been rejected outright. This has made folks a bit nervy, but there is still plenty of confidence that we will hire at that elite level.
  • Wellman is under considerable pressure to leak legitimate information because of the duration of the search and the complete silence from the AD. Look for these leaks in the near future.
  • Still no timetable on the hire.

My coaching search #scoop will be, and hopefully remain, a Premier League Thread exclusive. These tidbits of information must remain here for us soccer fans to ponder and debate. No names are attached to this report.

• You have heard that money is no object. This is correct.
  • We are targeting an elite level of coach. We have offered one such coach and been rejected outright. This has made folks a bit nervy, but there is still plenty of confidence that we will hire at that elite level.
  • Wellman is under considerable pressure to leak legitimate information because of the duration of the search and the complete silence from the AD. Look for these leaks in the near future.
  • Still no timetable on the hire.

And everyone should pay attention to:

Wow. Kind of glad I missed this shitshow this weekend. But just to recap:

Shaka: Not happening. Moving on.

Amaker: Staying at BC.

Howland: Not hearing much, should take the Cal job if Montgomery retires today, correct?

Archie: Our main focus? NC ties, Elite 8 on his resume, young and energetic. Extension signed in the winter, so not concerned about the buyout or salary.

Marshall: I've contended all along that Gregg was out. Would RW change his mind if he knew he was desperate? Still don't see it happening.

Mack: Smokescreen? RW is good at leaks that don't mean anything.

Wild cards: Manning, White, et al. Sounds like there has been some connections made regarding Mike White. Hopefully he is our floor.

ETA: Amaker and Mack

Also, Wojo's name is annoyingly not going away.

Back