• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Just need a salah dive and penalty here to cap things off.

Where's Brasky to help me out with a Sky Six rant

Liverpool haven't played well since the City match.

I agree. Anything in particular standing out to you? I’m not totally sure I can place it — it’s kind of the attack, kind of the midfield, kind of the defense.

Trent A-A and Gomez are missed a lot. There are a few things going on right now, but I think the leap they have both made was a big reason for the success early even though things weren’t clicking all the time.

They’ve also hit four solid teams with managers who know how to be solid but still dangerous. That’s why I’m still a little hopeful it’s just a blip.

I’ll feel a lot better if they put a few past Bournemouth.

Holy shit. Can't link the video but saw it in Twitter. Mings should be in jail for this.
bccba73cb08d1f1003d94aaa159ebabd.jpg

And apparently Origi was given an offsides opportunity to score at the end that he blew? The Shite have to approaching 10 points earned through diving and blown calls this season.

Yep, if Liverpool don't win the League this year they've got no chance in the future when VAR takes 15% of their points away.

I agree. Anything in particular standing out to you? I’m not totally sure I can place it — it’s kind of the attack, kind of the midfield, kind of the defense.

Mebbe if the manager ran onto the pitch and acted like a buffoon more on the sideline? Would that help?

Trent A-A and Gomez are missed a lot. There are a few things going on right now, but I think the leap they have both made was a big reason for the success early even though things weren’t clicking all the time.

They’ve also hit four solid teams with managers who know how to be solid but still dangerous. That’s why I’m still a little hopeful it’s just a blip.

I’ll feel a lot better if they put a few past Bournemouth.

Without bringing stats to the table and just watching and digesting, here are some things I've noticed.

1. Burnley showed a good blue print of how mid and lower clubs can nick points from us. Many teams are doing the same. Pack it in for the first 15-20 minutes and really crowd the area and keep the score line 0-0. After that, start pressing for a counter as we get more and more frustrated. If you can nick one goal, then back to the parking. Now, Burnley couldn't get us out of the net after that, but even when we get one like we did yesterday, we're still vulnerable.

2. With teams packing it in, we are seeing Bobby higher up the field. That's just natural as your striker is going to instinctively move to the defensive line. When we were at our best, Bobby was getting the ball with time to look at the back line and attack it with his eyes straight up the field. With that, Mane and Mo were getting in being the flanks or cutting across the field to find space. Now, we're rarely seeing Bobby get the ball unless it's a long ball, and even then he's got two defenders at him every time. With our midfield ever changing due to injuries, we're lacking one of them stepping up to find that space as well.

3. When we the last time we scored a screamer? I'm not saying we should ever rely on that, but we are rarely taking shots even when the space presents itself around the 18. We continue to try to triangle our way to goal even when we are at the edge of the box. The last long goal I can remember is Studge against Chelsea to save the point. Missing TAA hurts because I feel like he's known to unleash one here and there. Shaq needs to let one or two fly. You might get a deflection, ball might drop to Bobby or Mo. And with Robbo and Millie, the back line knows they are unlikely to cut the ball back and unleash one, so they're playing the cross every time.

4. Keita needs to come on and come on soon. There was a brief window after his stepover yesterday at about the 85' minute where I thought, "This is it. This is what I was expecting." He broke through, got into the 18, and almost created some magic. And not 3 minutes later, he gave the ball away on an awfully lazy 8 yard ball. I was hoping the magic was starting to come through, which is what we need in the mid. Someone dynamic to attack the line if Bobby is going to continue to play high.

5. We need a little magic in general to go our way.

That all sounds about right to me -- especially the screamer part -- and why missing Coutinho, or a replacement close to his level (Fekir), was bound to show up at some point. Shaqiri was providing it a little early in the year, but mainly as an impact off the bench and is in a bad patch right now. It helps just to have that threat.

Keita is thinking/hesitating too much at times, I think, but he is the one player there outside of AOC and Mane, when he drops deeper, who can take out players through the middle of the park and kind of create their own mini-transition/breaks. I expected more from Keita after having watched a lot of him the past two years, but people adapt at different rates, so I'm still trying to be patient, though I agree with you on him, too. Kind of disappointed that he looks a little less athletic than he did in Germany.

This is really making me miss AOC, Trent A-A, and Gomez, not just because of their obvious power/pace/energy, but they're all really good passers, which, especially with AOC and Gomez, doesn't seem to get mentioned much. They're not hitting faded out long balls to the wings or anything, but Gomez is great at playing quick risky passes from either center or right back that cut out a lot of guys, and AOC has a great ability to play a decent pass when he's at full speed in transition. Both are great against any type of pressure, and turning that into an advantage, rather than playing it safe and just recycling possession.

random thoughts:

- Keita reminds me of the guy that dominated his tiny private school basketball league then gets to college and plays pickup and realizes that his crossover doesn't actually put everyone on their ass and they turn the ball over ten times in 15 minutes. I watched all the videos of Keita dribbling past people in Germany and the levels are similar enough to where I know he can do it in the PL but it is crazy how many times he runs into someone and they take off with the ball.

- the ball is entering the box in one of two ways 1. waist high cross from an outside back and 2. a flick/one time pass from someone right dead center. we need a little more creativity in attack right now.

- we aren't getting any counter attacks because teams are sitting so deep but also because the defense is shakier with Matip/Lovren in and therefore the midfielders are drawn deeper to help tackle/retrieve the ball. i'm hoping when ox returns he'll be able to quickly bridge the defense and forwards a little better.

- similar to the no screamers, alisson hasn't made a ridiculous save in some time. he let in one soft one against palace but otherwise he has saved just about everything he could and let in everything that would be expected to go in. i'm not blaming him (far from it, he is awesome) but the leicester and west ham goals maaaaaaybe could have been kept out with something incredible and it didn't happen either time.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wasn't feeling all that hot with Alisson firmly planted watching Antonio's shot roll past him yesterday. I think Antonio mis-hits it a little and Alisson is prepping for something hit harder, but it looked soft.

just saw on twitter that alisson has let in 7 of the 11 shots he has faced in 2019. that doesn't tell the whole story but yeah.

Yeah, I wasn't feeling all that hot with Alisson firmly planted watching Antonio's shot roll past him yesterday. I think Antonio mis-hits it a little and Alisson is prepping for something hit harder, but it looked soft.
I think that's just how Antonio shoots. He mishits every shot he takes.

See if you can track down the first goal he scored for west ham. One of the most hilarious goals I've ever seen.

you Liverpool supporters are already MELTING DOWN

These are just FACHTS.

article-2319384-0304B43F000005DC-787_634x396.jpg

I think that's just how Antonio shoots. He mishits every shot he takes.

See if you can track down the first goal he scored for west ham. One of the most hilarious goals I've ever seen.

Lolz. This is pretty great. Against Clyne and Van Dijk, too. At 55 seconds if it doesn't start there.

Of course that happens to a major Reading acquisition days after we get him. So it goes!

Instead of little kids, Sao Paulo had dog mascots a few years ago.

Back