• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Gary Neville says they're gonna give Ole the permanent position on the international break.

Y'all should really hire this guy. This level of performance is entirely sustainable and not bound to regress to the mean or anything of the sort. Perish the thought.

Ole's been better but reminds me a bit of Dalglish with Liverpool in '10-11.

A full season under him weren't so pleasant

xG remains a stupid stat

Ole has the players believing in themselves and that is immeasurable. Sorry, stat nerds.

I don't see how you don't give him the job permanently at this point. But I'd let the season play out before giving him a contract. A 3 year contract at max.

no more of this 5-7 year nonsense.

Ole's been better but reminds me a bit of Dalglish with Liverpool in '10-11.

A full season under him weren't so pleasant
"been better"

Nice understatement.

The club was demoralized under Jose. The belief is back. The swagger is back. The proper mentality is back.

Racist assistant Kenny never achieved these highs. But he did excuse and defend a racist. Which was horrible, but par for the course at Anfield. Despicable.

Man U would be very stupid not to keep Ole at this point. However I wouldn't give him more than a 2 year contract, because there is still quite a lot of risk.

xG remains a stupid stat

Ole has the players believing in themselves and that is immeasurable. Sorry, stat nerds.

I don't see how you don't give him the job permanently at this point. But I'd let the season play out before giving him a contract. A 3 year contract at max.

no more of this 5-7 year nonsense.

Two things can be true https://statsbomb.com/2019/03/two-t...etter-under-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-and-luckier/

eta: The beauty of methodology like xG is that you don’t have to deny that those things exist. You just have to properly situate them and understand that in the grand scheme of things they are fleeting. Which, when you think about something like a “new manager bounce,” is obvious. The whole idea of a new manager bounce is that it’s a temporary uptick in form brought about by the new voice, that fades as the new manager becomes, simply, the manager.

There is tremendous amount of room for debate about why things happen in football. Nobody knows better than people immersed in analytics how truly long the long run is, and how frequently the results of a team can diverge from their underlying numbers, and for how long those divergences can persist. As the old saying goes, the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent. And Leicester City won a Premier League title.

What does that ultimately mean for United? Well, the questions surrounding them right now are interesting. How much of what’s going on right now should be laid at the feet of the manager and how much of it is simply proverbial VAR calls that he has now power to influence going the right way for this squad over and over again?

What analytics adds to the table is a hard boundary on those questions. Whatever the answer, even if lots of it is down to Solskjær, it won’t continue forever. Whether it’s tomorrow, next month, or next season, the ball is going to stop flying into the top corner for United, all the penalty calls will stop going their way, and their performances will drift back to what their numbers suggest they should be. The good news is that those numbers are better than they used to be. That bad news is that those numbers suggest worse results than those that have been rolling in under Solskjær so far.

Ultimately that discussion is relatively unimportant for the rest of this season. Solskjær is the manager. After seeming adrift of the top four, the team is in the thick of the race for the Champions League spots, and now, they’re in the quarterfinal of the Champions League itself. But, come this summer, when this year’s race is run, the cold reality of the numbers will again come to the fore. Manchester United will have to decide whether Solskjær deserves the job permanently. And if analytics tell us anything, it’s at that point, the numbers contain more information about what the future holds than the results do.

Last edited:
Oxlade-Chamberlain doesn’t make it to half time in his comeback with the U-23s, substituted off four minutes before half (he was only scheduled to play 45). Sounds precautionary, but I still don’t think that’s great news. Hard to see him up to speed enough to seriously contribute before the end of the season. Bummer. I hope I’m wrong.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/liv...oost-as-midfielder/1gga9au5sgzp71jxpr2knapgp1

Oxlade-Chamberlain doesn’t make it to half time in his comeback with the U-23s, substituted off four minutes before half (he was only scheduled to play 45). Sounds precautionary, but I still don’t think that’s great news. Hard to see him up to speed enough to seriously contribute before the end of the season. Bummer. I hope I’m wrong.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/liv...oost-as-midfielder/1gga9au5sgzp71jxpr2knapgp1

Paul Joyce said he touched his left hamstring right before going off. Probably nothing but I agree with you.

The source who reported the CR7 to Juve news is now reporting Pep to Juve. That would be wild.

Typical Everton-friendly officiating. Pickford should be off and instead they double the lead. Conspiracy!

Should have probably been a red. Awful penalty take from Ritchie though. Everton look good with Bernard replacing Walcott.

Should have probably been a red. Awful penalty take from Ritchie though. Everton look good with Bernard replacing Walcott.

Yeah, I don't understand the stutter runup. Puts the shooter off balance more than the keeper.

Walker Peter's should be off there too. Southampton playing well in the 2nd half. Spurs, not so much.

Back