• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

It was funny to me because I couldn’t get any Premier League matches yesterday or today in Ireland without premium Sky, yet they were showing an early season, meaningless MLS match on a brown pitch on free tv. Just seemed odd.

That's funny. I don't understand why showing MLS matches in Europe at all is funny, however.

Is that technically accurate? If Spurs lose their max points are 79. Looks to me like Arsenal max points are 81 and they don't play each other. Note, I'm not saying Arsenal will win out.

Oops, my bad. Forgot that game in hand.

That's funny. I don't understand why showing MLS matches in Europe at all is funny, however.

that's because you like to think of yourself as Super Fan #1 of all things American soccer

My guess is MLS games don't cost much for the European broadcast rights, whereas Premier League cost a fortune, so they're only on pay channels. I've found MLS games on in all sorts of random countries you might not expect. Sort of like when ESPN showed Aussie rules football when it started as a channel. There's no competition in the bidding. That said, places like Brazil, Mexico and Argentina show matches more frequently now that they have a number of well known players in the league.

By contrast in the Uk there are barely any prem matches on tv every weekend. You’ve got to pay a premium just for regular two or three games a weekend. The tv deal clubs benefit so much from is so much more from the US and rest of world than UK. It’s just generally accepted that if you’re not traveling to see your club you probably won’t see the match.

Or you just find a pub that doesn't give a shit about tv licenses. There are plenty around that show every match.

Ok just take issue with “plenty” then.

More broadly, you and I have talked about this before, but footie there is not as big a deal all around as we may assume it to be here. For rugby fans it’s too posh, for cricket fans it’s too working class. Of course there are die hards but it’s just not the same picture as we always make it out to be here. And that’s definitely shown in the weird lack of good tv deal.

So for you experts out there, if Chelsea wins Europa and United were to win UCL given current table, would EPL only get 3 UCL bids? City, Pool & Spurs How many Europa League spots in that scenario?

Ok just take issue with “plenty” then.

More broadly, you and I have talked about this before, but footie there is not as big a deal all around as we may assume it to be here. For rugby fans it’s too posh, for cricket fans it’s too working class. Of course there are die hards but it’s just not the same picture as we always make it out to be here. And that’s definitely shown in the weird lack of good tv deal.

I think the lack of a tv deal is done intentionally by the FA to prevent people from skipping lower league matches in favor of watching Premier League matches on tv. If Premier League matches were all televised those lower leagues wouldn't survive.

4th place would miss out.

Only one thing left to do in CL then...

YlgQ.gif

Back