• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Bild, mixed reliability I know, is reporting Chelsea is in talks with my man Timo, and may activate the release clause with a view of getting him on a five-year contract. Seen this stuff before previously with Alisson/Van Dijk/AOC, that just turned out to be media stuff and Liverpool got their guy, but this could get interesting. I guess I wouldn't be shocked if Liverpool decides to pass or go some other route (must mean MBAPPE is in the bag, right? right?? ... ...).

Last edited:
Premier League going to go with 5 subs and 9 on the bench when it restarts.

Premier League going to go with 5 subs and 9 on the bench when it restarts.

top reply to a tweet i saw announcing the rule changes was

"No change to the rule that City may only sub on Phil Foden up 8-1 in the 86th."

Merseyside Derby is gonna be the 21st at 7 UK time.

Ha, poor Phil. Pep likes to throw him the smallest of bones every so often.

Mentioned this in the Bundes thread, but I wouldn't be opposed to a year of 5 subs (though limiting the number of times you can sub still to three + half-time or something like that), especially if we see the calendar condensed some and more tournaments/competitions. Just to see how it works.

I def would like to see bigger subs benches; I think it sense to do what Italy is doing (11 person benches). I don't know, maybe that would just lead to the bigger teams grabbing even more players. Anyone seen or have any arguments against increasing the number of people on the bench?

There were a few weird Ousmane to Liverpool rumblings last week, which seemed regurgitated but maybe make sense now. Normally I'd be all about it, except for the fact that I think his legs might be broken.

Sounds like the Chelsea stuff could also be RB and/or Werner's agent leaking to make sure Liverpool speed up/pay more, which would also not be a shock.

And now I'm just talking to myself.

yea the prices quoted for werner seemed too low anyway, he's real young and real good, though i'd still rather have havertz

Or, it's all legit.

One interesting thing I read recently in an analysis about Werner was a comment from Nagelsmann about how one of the reasons they moved him slightly deeper this season was that he needs a bit of a running start to get going/full speed. I don't think I'm making this up, but I think I read another place recently that Liverpool value how quickly you can accelerate, rather than top speed. Like, I think Werner beats Salah in a 40m head-to-head (though they are both fast as shit), but I bet Salah is quicker over the first 5.

I also think Werner would shred Sancho in a 40m, but Sancho can get past you in the blink of an eye, and if Werner even needs that extra split second, it could make the difference in what you want to invest in, even if Sancho might cost at least twice as much (but is younger, English, etc.). Or Liverpool are just being tight. Or Werner wants to live in London. Or or or, and and and.

Last edited:
Whether it's a financial issue or an evaluation one, the only thing that makes me feel a little better about it is that I can be reasonably confident that it would be Liverpool's call to bow out, rather than them missing out, but it's still a player that I like and an area where I think they could make even a small gain.

But yeah, it doesn't seem like a lot of money to me, even in the beginning of a global financial crisis. Like, if they are hesitating on spending 50-60 on Timo, I def don't see them dropping 80-100 on Sancho or Havertz (or 200 on MBAPPE), and could see them mostly standing pat again, which would be risky, but what do I know.

Last edited:
Rumors are LFC pulled out. I think price tag is too much given Covid-19. Though I don't understand that cause 60 for Timo is a steal. This might be a case of trying to pinch pennies too hard. He would have been a hell of an addition. Guessing Klopp has others he sees as near as good but cheaper options. IDK.

Whatever it is, it is definitely generating some clicks and engagement. I guess it's just good to have this as an occasional distraction again.

penny wise and pound foolish if $ is the reason pool passed, but i'd have to see final figures first

It's weird, I'm seeing all this speculation on twitter about how this is a bad thing for Tammy Abraham, as if Werner hasn't played with another striker or on the left of a three at RB and internationally? Like, isn't Abraham a classier version of Poulsen with more upside? He and Schick kind of profile similarly for me, too. What am I missing here? Werner can definitely play with a player like Abraham and they can totally co-exist, imo.

Guardian column I just read/added above mentions this, at least, but seeing, like, semi-legit soccer twitter questioning it.

Last edited:
Now a bunch of Havertz rumors starting to pop. Mostly seeing to United.

It has begun.

everton will gladly take table scrap player, tammy abraham

I gotta think Hudson-Odoi is the odd man out here. Werner plays on the left or the middle, Pulisic on either wing, Abraham in the middle, Ziyech on the right. Mount also provides depth on the wings.

They paid 70M+ for Pulisic a season ago, so I doubt he's leaving.

And honestly I hope Everton goes in for CHO hard. We need a natural RM badly. Would like to see us move to a 4-3-3 with Richy-DCL-CHO up top.

Back