• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Chatter about Adama to Liverpool the last few days, which could just be nothing, or deflection of the Werner thing, or bored journalists. Hard to believe that they would go for him at at least the same amount Werner would have cost (have to imagine Wolves don't let him go for less unless there's some contractual thing we don't know about), but because of just what a unique player he is, I can kind of see it/get behind it. There's just no one like him, so it could add a dimension. He's been fun to watch at Wolves, but it was super interesting to see how Pulis used him a few years ago, basically structuring almost dead-piece like set plays -- get the ball to Adama out on the wing, create movement in the box, and he produced. Gotta think Klopp/Lijnders would have an idea, but even if not, it would be cool just to see him dribbling past people, and one less guy to potentially cut up Robertson.

He's waaaaaaaaay out in front of the league in successful dribbles. Very fun player to watch.

Oh yeah, he exists in a different plane that I think maybe only Spurs' M. Dembele could even conceptualize occupying in terms of dribble numbers, but Dembele was kind of slow, and Adama has like sub-10 second 100m speed. It's crazy. So for that, rather than pure g/a numbers, and just the supernatural element -- underlying stat-supported or for the sheer intimidation -- I could see them paying, even if they were being tight with Werner. Knows the league already, still has a level to go up where he could add numbers to that, but influential and effective even without g/a.

But I still don't think there's probably much in it, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Also, Saul's "new club" announcement was some partnership with a youth club, so you guys were right -- nothing in it. Man, great player. Would love to see Saul and/or Koke in the Premier League, but also kind of hope they stay with Atleti forever.

Adama reminds me of faster Tony V at Wigan.

I hope if he moves that he isn't forced into slowing himself down to fit a tactic. He's so fun to watch.

Obligatory Brazil Scout vid.

Now just going to hope Arsenal fuck up and don't offer Saka a contract, and Traore and Saka come in as wide attacking alternatives AND cover for TAA/Robertson.

Last edited:
I'm watching that last Atletico match, of which I had only seen parts but then didn't go back to after I saw the final five minutes or so, and what the fuck man, wtf. This is some very good soccer, they should have killed this off. What a bummer. But also, Liverpool: good at the soccer, good reminder.

Lallana signs a short-term extension that will let him finish the season with Liverpool, but the articles were at pains to say how he doesn't want to block the progress of those under contract next year, etc. etc.

Did I just make up out of nowhere that Lovren was also out of contract this year? I guess I did, I'm a dumbass. He has one more year. I was convinced for like the last six months/year he was in his last year, but I guess just Clyne and Lallana are in their last year. Anyway, could see him just running that down now, considering the circumstances.

Pool should sell Lovren for whatever they can get to some Italian club. Mebbe some German club not named Bayern, Dortmund, or RBL.

Couple of papers are reporting there may have been a breakthrough with Wijnaldum's contract talks and he might be set to sign a 3 to 4-year extension. That'd be solid. Big Game Gini solid.

Also, City's appeal of their Champs League ban has been heard, and a decision from the panel of three lawyers should come out "first half of July."

Keita, Mané, and Minamino on the scoresheet. Yeah. There’s a tingle.

But I very much like seeing Keita and Minamino producing, even in a closed doors friendly.

Cool little "flashback" on Makelele: https://medium.com/@MoeSquare/football-flashbacks-claude-makelele-d85dcbf43adf

The vids are awesome; there's so much value in the little "flash into space, progress the ball into the next 1/4 of the field" move (though this piece focuses on how relatively little he contributes to attack). Everton haven't had that player since Barkley who wasn't really even that player. Maybe Gareth Barry. Leon Osman. Not really anyone!

I'm thinking more of a Yaya Toure type, though he's more box-to-box.

I really wanted to watch some old Mauro Silva vids to see how he compares, because when the Makelele role first started being mentioned, I remember going, "uh, isn't that kind of what Mauro Silva did?" Mauro Silva was awesome, one of my favorite 90s players.

Anyway, I just looked it up and here they are against each other! Cool. Although, this is slightly past his prime Mauro, but he looks good in this. Leaves it in a couple of times against Raul and Zidane early, dude wasn't afraid to leave a mark, but could play a little too, obv.

Would have loved to have seen Pep and Mauro in the same midfield. Maybe my dream 90s midfield.

Interesting to see Ben Brereton's name on there -- a couple of years ago when he was at Forest he was getting some hype.

Watched the extended highlights -- Salah and Robertson held out for precaution. Liverpool lined up Alisson; TAA, Gomez, Van Dijk, Milner; Henderson, Fabinho, Keita; AOC, Minamino, Mane.

Keita was involved in a number of good moments. Minamino and Mane looked sharp, too, but they were basically just showing the attacking moments, so of course those guys stood out. Matip with a g+a in the 2nd. Lot of youngsters in the second half.

It did not look intense, and two of the goals could very well have been offside.

It sounded windy.

Last edited:
Back