• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

FYI, anyone who uses T-Mobile can get a free year of The Athletic (not sure if that special is still running, though)

Nice, I think they run a 40% off deal if you pay the entire for the year upfront, so really I only pay $3/month.

Also sorry for being accusatory 61! Not a bad idea to post the occasional article to create interest. I probably read 3-4 articles a day on soccer, the Cubs, or of general interest. Also their Everton focused stuff is unrivaled, and they devote even more resources to the bigger clubs.

Nice, I think they run a 40% off deal if you pay the entire for the year upfront, so really I only pay $3/month.

Also sorry for being accusatory 61! Not a bad idea to post the occasional article to create interest. I probably read 3-4 articles a day on soccer, the Cubs, or of general interest. Also their Everton focused stuff is unrivaled, and they devote even more resources to the bigger clubs.

It's definitely worth the money. I originally got it for hockey but use it for NFL, CFB, and soccer too. Lots of talented writers.

Young Player of the Season should be restricted to U23 and maybe a <50 total appearances requirement as well. This award isn't for Martial who cost >$50M, has almost 150 PL appearances, and 18 senior caps for France or Grealish who debuted in 2013-14 and has been a known quantity for years. I also don't need this award to tell me that TAA + Rashford are really good, that's been apparent for a while for both, they've both been part of their respective first teams for at least a few years each. And if your transfer fee is as high as Pulisic's clearly you're a fantastic player already despite whatever age you are.

The only truly real candidates for this award that received the nomination are Greenwood, Henderson, and Mount. On the basis of just that, give it to Greenwood or Henderson, pick whichever you value more for a young player. I'd probably pick Greenwood. But clearly something is wrong if some of these players are being nominated for "young player" awards. Because of this, you're missing great candidates for the spirit of the award in Bukayo Saka, Max Aarons, Aaron Ramsdale, among others. But that's not as buzzy as having 3 Manchester United players, a future Man U player, 2 Chelsea players and 2 talented Englishmen so I get it.

I think you’d have to get it to Pulisic over him. Better numbers in less games. But neither will win. The Red Shite press with pick TAA.

The award is a joke though, only 20/21 and under should be eligible

TAA is 21 so he fits your criteria.

Young Player of the Season should be restricted to U23 and maybe a <50 total appearances requirement as well. This award isn't for Martial who cost >$50M, has almost 150 PL appearances, and 18 senior caps for France or Grealish who debuted in 2013-14 and has been a known quantity for years. I also don't need this award to tell me that TAA + Rashford are really good, that's been apparent for a while for both, they've both been part of their respective first teams for at least a few years each. And if your transfer fee is as high as Pulisic's clearly you're a fantastic player already despite whatever age you are.

The only truly real candidates for this award that received the nomination are Greenwood, Henderson, and Mount. On the basis of just that, give it to Greenwood or Henderson, pick whichever you value more for a young player. I'd probably pick Greenwood. But clearly something is wrong if some of these players are being nominated for "young player" awards. Because of this, you're missing great candidates for the spirit of the award in Bukayo Saka, Max Aarons, Aaron Ramsdale, among others. But that's not as buzzy as having 3 Manchester United players, a future Man U player, 2 Chelsea players and 2 talented Englishmen so I get it.

so would Greenwood be eligible for the award next season? He'll turn 19.

What about the 2021/22 season when he'll turn 20 but have over 50 apps for MUFC by then, so would he not be eligible then because he had been good for so long?

What about the 2021/22 season when he'll turn 20 but have over 50 apps for MUFC by then, so would he not be eligible then because he had been good for so long?

Yeah that was literally my point, thanks for restating it so clearly

If I didn't know better I'd think that DV7 was 60 years old and that he used to watch ManU on VHS back in the 90's and his views on the game haven't changed much since then

Is there a OGBoards team in a local adult league (once we can, you know, go out again)? I'm moving to Winston soon and really need to see if posters like dv7 have game to match their posting prowess.

Is there a OGBoards team in a local adult league (once we can, you know, go out again)? I'm moving to Winston soon and really need to see if posters like dv7 have game to match their posting prowess.

Welcome back to Winston! We moved back here last summer. There is an adult soccer league, I used to be on DV7's team back in the day along with Wakephan, not sure if he plays anymore. I actually signed up to start playing this spring but our season was cut short after our first pre-season game due to COVID. I'm on the Blast.

The website hasn't been updated since the fall, but if you contact the guys by email they get back to you quickly:
https://ncadultsoccer.sportsaffinit...32022A-F319-4ACB-946E-8A42D08D2BCD&cmnid=2924

If I didn't know better I'd think that DV7 was 60 years old and that he used to watch ManU on VHS back in the 90's and his views on the game haven't changed much since then

DV is pretty close to my age and he's got a kid and ... yep, you're basically correct with that take.

I'm not sure which one of us will be posting BKF level sports takes in another 10 years, but it'll be one of us.

Welcome back to Winston! We moved back here last summer. There is an adult soccer league, I used to be on DV7's team back in the day along with Wakephan, not sure if he plays anymore. I actually signed up to start playing this spring but our season was cut short after our first pre-season game due to COVID. I'm on the Blast.

The website hasn't been updated since the fall, but if you contact the guys by email they get back to you quickly:
https://ncadultsoccer.sportsaffinit...32022A-F319-4ACB-946E-8A42D08D2BCD&cmnid=2924

Awesome. Thanks, Brasky. We're pretty excited.

Pirlo named new manager of Juventus. If anyone can direct the team while standing still at midfield, he's your guy.

Yeah that was literally my point, thanks for restating it so clearly

I just asked a question and you declined to clarify your statement by answering it. Be confident in your opinion and give a proper response!

Or, conversely, take the question on board, and alter your opinion to something different after a different side of the argument is presented to you that you hadn't yet thought of.
But what you shouldn't do is just dismiss it out of hand entirely because it raised a good point that cut into your opinion. That's childish.

oh, nice. Early welcome to Winston, siffy!

The league Brasky mentioned plays on Saturdays and is co-rec and 18+.

There is a Sunday league that is 30+ for men only as well; they also have a 50+ division as well, IIRC. Also a women's only league.

I've not played in any league since my daughter was born + Covid stuff, so I'm not sure how all things will shake out. There are also pickup games midweek and on the weekends and once those get rolling again I can post the details here or in a PM to you.

I just asked a question and you declined to clarify your statement by answering it. Be confident in your opinion and give a proper response!

Or, conversely, take the question on board, and alter your opinion to something different after a different side of the argument is presented to you that you hadn't yet thought of.
But what you shouldn't do is just dismiss it out of hand entirely because it raised a good point that cut into your opinion. That's childish.

Lol I legitimately laid out what I thought should be reasonable eligibility restrictions and then you asked your question which the answer could easily be deduced based on what I had just stated.

Yes, Greenwood would be eligible next year. No he wouldn't the following year if he had made 50+ PL appearances. Yes the whole point of that restriction is because players that have made that many appearances have clearly established they are quality players over a long enough period of time that they have surpassed what the Young Player award should be about even if they still meet the age restriction.

I wasn't dismissing your point that 1) wasn't really a point in the first place, it was a question, and 2) wasn't good either. You would have had your answer if you'd just applied basic comprehension and deductive analysis to your question based on my post you quoted. If you wanted to raise a point that you think Greenwood should still be eligible and that you disagree with my restrictions, you should have done that. You also suggest that you raised some different side of an argument that I should have taken into account and thought about. You in fact did not.

a call went against manchestVAR united just now actually, greenwood goal disallowed for what was an obvious offside

Guardian MBM had this little stat - Copenhagen hasn't given up more than 1 goal in their last 30 European matches, which is 7 more than the 2nd best streak, a Milan side in the 90s.

Pretty amazing.

Lol I legitimately laid out what I thought should be reasonable eligibility restrictions and then you asked your question which the answer could easily be deduced based on what I had just stated.

Yes, Greenwood would be eligible next year. No he wouldn't the following year if he had made 50+ PL appearances. Yes the whole point of that restriction is because players that have made that many appearances have clearly established they are quality players over a long enough period of time that they have surpassed what the Young Player award should be about even if they still meet the age restriction.

I wasn't dismissing your point that 1) wasn't really a point in the first place, it was a question, and 2) wasn't good either. You would have had your answer if you'd just applied basic comprehension and deductive analysis to your question based on my post you quoted. If you wanted to raise a point that you think Greenwood should still be eligible and that you disagree with my restrictions, you should have done that. You also suggest that you raised some different side of an argument that I should have taken into account and thought about. You in fact did not.

It seems to me that perhaps DV7 was being purposefully dense in some respect. An 18 yo player is not eligible for a U23 side. (They would be u20, I believe.) You meant it as younger than 23.

Back