• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I honestly would just kick it fucking deep every time and then press.

Reminds me of the Grobe era when it was 3rd and inches and we are lined-up in the shotgun for a draw play or run off-tackle from a hand-off 5 yards deep in the backfield...nothing good can happen.

i know money doesn't matter for united but that de gea contract is duuuuumb

Meh. At best DDG regains his form and United have locked in one of the better keepers in the world. At worst United will get something out of a transfer rather than him leaving next summer on a free.

Read this morning that DDG already has as many clean sheets in league play at OT this season than he did the entire 18/19 season

Well reportedly they agreed to terms because they waived the deduction clause of 25% salary deduction for not making champions league last year, whereas most of the rest of senior players at the club still have it. Maybe this settles De Gea and he finds peak form for the remaining months on his 250k/week deal (which is now movable to fewer clubs). Maybe it unsettles Pogba and the senior players who are paid less and not treated the same way. His shot stopping numbers don't really command that salary.

I guess when you're United and you have to pay a premium for players because your management sucks this is the kind of short term thinking that makes sense though. Spend a mil a month on the player to get a fee for him later!

United's management has been incredibly bad recently, and this past summer was an unforgivable disaster. Signing DDG to a new (albeit spendy) contract is not remotely close to the worst things that United's management has done of late.

Anyway de Gea is a top 3 keeper in the league and you bought a good defender to put in front of him. That at least has a semblance of planning to it. If I’m United it’s not what I’d do to my wage bill or recruitment strategy but I understand United fans’ position too. He’s good.

Anyway de Gea is a top 3 keeper in the league and you bought a good defender to put in front of him. That at least has a semblance of planning to it. If I’m United it’s not what I’d do to my wage bill or recruitment strategy but I understand United fans’ position too. He’s good.
I accept your apology.

I’m just glad DDG is human again. For a few years there he was one of the players where every time Liverpool faced them I thought “this dude is going to murder us”. DDG, Aguero and Drogba are the three that stand out most.

I honestly would just kick it fucking deep every time and then press.

I think teams play out of the back to draw the opposing team out of their own half, giving more space to attack. I think the risk is greater than the reward. Errant back passes/loss of possession in your own third can quickly turn into easy goals, especially in the PL.
Bless Norwich for keeping their style of play and they played well to beat Man City, but I think over the course of the year, I think they just won't win enough games to stay up.

John Stones hurt himself in training and is out for a month. City are down to just Otamendi for healthy first team CBs. Not great!

Back