• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

xG just seems like a made-up stat to try to seem smart when really it isn't saying much at all. Seems to treat all 20 field players on the pitch the same in terms of finishing ability when that is clearly not the case, which is why the StdDev is so grotesquely high.

Not everything in sports can/needs to be boiled down to some mathematical equation. And I love math.

K, I'm done on this one for now. I'm sure we will revisit in September or so. :thumbsup:

It has flaws, mostly that you can't or wouldn't want to create a model that does account for individual player quality, but it's pretty good for accounting for:

shot location
body part
type of pass
type of attack

All that together is better than shots numbers or chances created or big chances, assuming we agree that recruiting for scoring goals is an important part of building a squad.

I don't think that has much to do with Messi and more with giant club issues for the last couple of years. He is still playing out of his mind and is still the best player in the world.

A lot of the problems Barca currently have on the field are due to the fact that Messi is really difficult to play with. You can only play one way and every one else has to be tactically strict in order to accommodate his role. It worked earlier in his career when he was more athletic and he had Xavi and Iniesta supporting him, not so much now.

A lot of the problems Barca currently have on the field are due to the fact that Messi is really difficult to play with. You can only play one way and every one else has to be tactically strict in order to accommodate his role. It worked earlier in his career when he was more athletic and he had Xavi and Iniesta supporting him, not so much now.

Brasky hates Barca to the point it makes him irrational.

I don't like Barca either, but their fault clearly does not lie with Messi right now. That's just an ignorant take.

haha i'm just imagining the manager pulling his hair out so frustrated by the constraints of having lionel messi in the team

Lets talk about all the success the mercurial plug-and-play Messi has had with Argentina.

But anyways, this EVE/SHU game is just as dire as predicted. Wish I had bet for it to end 0-0 prematch.

heeeee's brazilian

HE ONLY COST 50 MILLION
AND WE THINK HE'S FUCKING BRILLIANT

Seriously, even if Everton only manage a point from this match, absolutely HUGE for Arsenal potentially clawing back up to 7th.

HE ONLY COST 50 MILLION
AND WE THINK HE'S FUCKING BRILLIANT

Seriously, even if Everton only manage a point from this match, absolutely HUGE for Arsenal potentially clawing back up to 7th.

hahahahahahhahahahahahahha

bless your hearts

Lets talk about all the success the mercurial plug-and-play Messi has had with Argentina.

But anyways, this EVE/SHU game is just as dire as predicted. Wish I had bet for it to end 0-0 prematch.

World Cup final is shit

hahahahahahhahahahahahahha

bless your hearts

lol I don't know what you're laughing about, we have two opportunities to get back into Europe if that happens, I'm not too proud to admit that we need to do so to really get the rebuild moving, we can't just pay $80M for Harry Maguire.

lol I don't know what you're laughing about, we have two opportunities to get back into Europe if that happens, I'm not too proud to admit that we need to do so to really get the rebuild moving, we can't just pay $80M for Harry Maguire.

If Wolves pick up all three at home this afternoon (which they should handle Crystal Palace) then that basically means Arsenal's only hope for Europe is to beat Chelsea. That or pour open goals on Watford and Villa, both of whom are fighting to stay up so they should be aggressive.

top quality doesn't really care about Europa League vs no Europe for a season, I can't imagine.

And I've never said the Maguire buy was a good one and certainly not for the price paid. Welcome to the PL thread though. I'm glad you've ventured outside just mafia. (seriously)

top quality doesn't really care about Europa League vs no Europe for a season, I can't imagine.

And I've never said the Maguire buy was a good one and certainly not for the price paid. Welcome to the PL thread though. I'm glad you've ventured outside just mafia. (seriously)

It's less about getting players to join vs. having the guaranteed revenue to purchase players outside of selling to raise money

If Wolves pick up all three at home this afternoon (which they should handle Crystal Palace) then that basically means Arsenal's only hope for Europe is to beat Chelsea. That or pour open goals on Watford and Villa, both of whom are fighting to stay up so they should be aggressive.

We need Wolves to take only 3 points from their last 2 and make up the goal difference. With them playing Chelsea on the last day and Chelsea likely needing a win to guarantee UCL, I'm still hopeful that Chelsea win that game and that Arsenal can gain the GD back with Aston Villa/Watford.

That being said, my years of Arsenal support tell me that we are going to choke a fat one against Villa tomorrow and render it moot.

lol, nonsense

Kroenke is worth like 10 billion USD.

Lol you know nothing about Kroenke's ownership of Arsenal if you think that matters. He maintains his commitment to making sure Arsenal runs on its own revenues, he has never injected his own money into Arsenal for transfer purposes in a significant fashion.

Back