• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Champions League Thread (NWT)

Agreed, said the same to friends. Gana fortunate not to have his leg snapped.

much worse than what AWB did last matchweek and AWB was sent off (which was the correct decision)

I'm pretty concerned about no Shaw, Maguire or AWB today. I don't love it when United does it, but I think a back 3/5 might be the way to go today (which means that Sancho is once again on the outside looking in):

DDG
Bailly - Varane - Lindlof
Dalot ------------ Telles
Fred - Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood - CR7

Telles is a tremendous liability on defense right now, so I think he's going to need all the help he can get. But what do I know, I'm usually way off when I try and make these kinds of predictions.

I bet Ole just slots in VL for Maguire and sticks with his double pivot McFred, but I do agree that I think given the absentees that a back 3 with wing backs would make a lot of sense.

could also go 3-4-3 with Sancho and Telles the wide players in the 4 but I don't know if Ole would be that aggressive

I don't know if Ole is truly on the hot seat, but Unai Emery absolutely is--he has won just one game with Villareal since the Europa final last season when they beat Manchester United.

I bet Ole just slots in VL for Maguire and sticks with his double pivot McFred, but I do agree that I think given the absentees that a back 3 with wing backs would make a lot of sense.

could also go 3-4-3 with Sancho and Telles the wide players in the 4 but I don't know if Ole would be that aggressive

Well Ole seems to be rolling the dice

DDG
Dalot - Varane - Lindelof - Telles
McT - Pogba
Bruno
Sancho - CR7 - Greenwood

At least it's not McFred. And I really hope that Telles doesn't get thoroughly abused like he did last time out. He was fucking embarrassing.

Hopefully getting slaughtered so absolutely got Telles refocused since he has to know he needs to big performance or his opportunities at Man United are going to become few and far between

I don't know if Ole is truly on the hot seat, but Unai Emery absolutely is--he has won just one game with Villareal since the Europa final last season when they beat Manchester United.

All accounts say that Ole's seat is icy cold. Fabri Romano made a good point by saying that adding CR7 to the team was pretty disruptive from a tactics perspective because no matter what Ole wants to do CR7 is gonna do him. So that being the case, it'll necessarily take a couple of months to ease in. The past few games have certainly borne that out. But I still think that the warmers need to be on under his seat. Maybe the Glazers are holding out hope that team Norway can convince Haaland to come over the summer, but if United don't advance out of the CL group stage and don't come away with any hardware, and limp to a top four finish and don't get Haaland next summer, then it may be time to move on.

lol just keep buying the world's best attackers and eventually ole will figure out how to turn maticomifred into a midfield

lol just keep buying the world's best attackers and eventually ole will figure out how to turn maticomifred into a midfield

That may be the Glazer's thinking, but that hasn't worked out too well so far obvi. Saw a rumor yesterday that Phillips has surpassed Rice as the preferred holding mid. Phillips, a life-long Leeds fan, coming to United seems unlikely.

Dalot and Telles are both having a tough time on defense today

Villareal has missed four or five really good chances so far. Varane just made a howler and was bailed out by a really poor shot.

Not a ton of positives to take from that first half. Scotty hasn't looked horrible in the holding mid role and this is maybe the best Sancho has looked in a united jersey so far. Neither of those say much, but that's about all I've got. It's a game like this, though, that's going to take attention away from signing a holding mid and shift it to finding capable backups at both RB and LB.

ETA: DDG has been superman, so that's a positive in a sense. Just wish he didn't have to be.

Alex Telles just attempted a cross and hit it in a direction that I didn’t think was possible. Needless to say it was not towards danger or the goal or another player.

That may be the Glazer's thinking, but that hasn't worked out too well so far obvi. Saw a rumor yesterday that Phillips has surpassed Rice as the preferred holding mid. Phillips, a life-long Leeds fan, coming to United seems unlikely.

NINTCHDBPICT000003158527.jpg

Back