• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Champions League Thread (NWT)

Lol at Micah saying things weren't going Man City's way and using Kyle Walker not starting as an example

Wut

Interesting interview with Haaland. Him saying yes I’ve felt the pressure this season and felt really nervous in this game. Says he knew why Man City brought him here and if they didn’t win the league and Champions League it would have been him failing everyone personally.

Remarkable candor and can’t imagine feeling that type of pressure at his age.

Pep won 14 titles in 4 years at Barcelona. He just won a fucking treble in a league that is a lot deeper than it was the last time an English team managed to do it. I don't care who is on your team. That's insane.
Ummm the Prem was very good in the late 90s. This was an undereducated comment you made

Arsenal then was better than Arsenal today
Chelsea was miles better
Leeds was damn good in the late 90s/early 2000s

There is a reason 79 points won the league in 1998/99. The Prem was far more balanced back then.

And United did it without cooking their financial books and using players that they developed through their academy

That said

Gun to my head and with the use of a time machine...

I think this Man City team win a best of 7 series against the 99 team in 6 or 7

The 2008 Man United team beats both in 5 or 6

Ummm the Prem was very good in the late 90s. This was an undereducated comment you made

Chelsea was miles better

There is a reason 79 points won the league in 1998/99. The Prem was far more balanced back then.

And United did it without cooking their financial books and using players that they developed through their academy
Last point aside as it’s correct, the Prem is absolutely deeper and better overall today than it was in the 90s. The money that even relegation candidates can spend rivals the best teams in most other European leagues other than Madrid/Bayern/PSG. Every single Prem team sent multiple players to the WC, I believe. The treble means more as a pure sporting exercise because winning the Prem/UCL now is harder, but it means less because City is state-backed and also likely cheated.

That said

Gun to my head and with the use of a time machine...

I think this Man City team win a best of 7 series against the 99 team in 6 or 7

The 2008 Man United team beats both in 5 or 6
The 2008 Man United team does not beat this City team in a best of 7. As good as they were, this City team has a level of depth quality that would win over a series, IMO.

Chelsea was miles better

Don't mistake winning the league with 79 points for the league being deeper or better in 1999. A grand total of SIX teams had a positive goal differential that season. One of them barely managed to get there.

But yeah, the next two lines of your next post were accurate.

Don't mistake winning the league with 79 points for the league being deeper or better in 1999. A grand total of SIX teams had a positive goal differential that season. One of them barely managed to get there.

But yeah, the next two lines of your next post were accurate.
Doesn’t that by definition mean more parity?

I know the dam broke in England a while back but I find it encouraging that it took City this long to win the CL.

Last point aside as it’s correct, the Prem is absolutely deeper and better overall today than it was in the 90s. The money that even relegation candidates can spend rivals the best teams in most other European leagues other than Madrid/Bayern/PSG. Every single Prem team sent multiple players to the WC, I believe. The treble means more as a pure sporting exercise because winning the Prem/UCL now is harder, but it means less because City is state-backed and also likely cheated.
All the extra money to the Prem now is great but the Haves have a lot more today than the Have Nots compared to the late 1990s. Even if the Have Nots have more now than they did then the Haves have more comparatively

Doesn’t that by definition mean more parity?
No. 10 teams had positive goal differentials this year. There is no doubt there are more "good" teams in the EPL now than there were 20 years ago. The league is full of cash. Far superior position to where it was 25 years ago. Let's be clear, winning a treble was still and amazing thing back then. But absolutely harder to do today.

Back