• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Champions League Thread (NWT)

Inter is so disciplined when defending. Crazy Italians
City can't tiki taka against them, they'll have to move the ball quicker to break them down IMO

Inter need to counter on their wings. Both are wide open when they win possession.

And I just don't rate Lautaro. Think he is incredibly overrated

every time i've watched Serie A matches i feel like this is what i see. is this a particularly Italian style of play or am i just unfortunate that every time i watch Italian soccer it's defensive.

or am i just scarred by Conte and projecting?

every time i've watched Serie A matches i feel like this is what i see. is this a particularly Italian style of play or am i just unfortunate that every time i watch Italian soccer it's defensive.

or am i just scarred by Conte and projecting?
That's the prevailing style. There's a saying in Italy that's basically you can't lose the match if the other team doesn't score. There are some exceptions depending on the manager though. Napoli, Milan, Fiorentina, etc. play different styles.

Generally speaking, Italian football is far more tactical than the other big leagues. A lot of strategy and slowly picking apart the other side, so it can feel a little more like a chess match.

Serie A is a fantastic league to watch, especially if you're interested in learning more about the strategy of the game, but when you're first getting into the sport Serie A style football can def come across as boring, much like watching golf or tennis would feel to someone who's still kind of new to the game at this level.

Last edited:
That's the prevailing style. There's a saying in Italy that's basically you can't lose the match if the other team doesn't score. There are some exceptions depending on the manager though. Napoli, Milan, Fiorentina, etc. play different styles.

Generally speaking, Italian football is far more tactical than the other big leagues. A lot of strategy and slowly picking apart the other side, so it can feel a little more like a chess match.

Serie A is a fantastic league to watch, especially if you're interesting in learning more about the strategy of the game, but when you're first getting into the sport Serie A style football can def come across as boring, much like watching golf or tennis would feel to someone who's still kind of new to the game at this level.
thank you. i'm getting closer to appreciating it
not there yet, but i can see the appeal

Not enough talent and money for him, I'm afraid
I know you’re making a glib joke in your misery, but being serious for a little of it: he runs probably the most anti-international team system possible, he needs key players to have been in the system for years and years every single day to get the most out of it. I’m sure he could be a good international manager if he ever wanted to give it a go, but it wouldn’t work to his strengths.

Back