• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Depending on how fast the visa process is and how bad Everton lose to Liverpool, Arsenal might be facing new managers three matches running

I don't see how the board/Moshiri/whoever at Everton could seriously lay the current Everton position on Rafa. It would be ridiculous to take this season with a net transfer spend of -$15m, with key injury losses and a short training calendar coming off a crowded summer of fixtures, and say to Rafa you have 1 game, against Liverpool, to show us something. I don't love all the player selections he's made, but he's the first coach we've had since David Moyes who has identified the issues we have at the club correctly and taken steps to make changes on them. He oversaw firing the medical training staff after this horrible run of injuries, he has played tactically fluid football given our opponents and available players, and he's identified the areas of need in recruitment when we're allowed to spend again. I know we *could* do a lot better than Rafa, but I don't trust anyone at the club to recruit those people. When we were in coaching searches in previous windows we never even approached the likes of Potter, Ragnick, Tuchel, etc. when they were available, we just jumped down the list to retread names or washed up has-beens.

I don't see how the board/Moshiri/whoever at Everton could seriously lay the current Everton position on Rafa. It would be ridiculous to take this season with a net transfer spend of -$15m, with key injury losses and a short training calendar coming off a crowded summer of fixtures, and say to Rafa you have 1 game, against Liverpool, to show us something. I don't love all the player selections he's made, but he's the first coach we've had since David Moyes who has identified the issues we have at the club correctly and taken steps to make changes on them. He oversaw firing the medical training staff after this horrible run of injuries, he has played tactically fluid football given our opponents and available players, and he's identified the areas of need in recruitment when we're allowed to spend again. I know we *could* do a lot better than Rafa, but I don't trust anyone at the club to recruit those people. When we were in coaching searches in previous windows we never even approached the likes of Potter, Ragnick, Tuchel, etc. when they were available, we just jumped down the list to retread names or washed up has-beens.

FWIW, I think if Everton came calling to Graham Potter, he'd at least pick up the phone. It's still a good sized club with the resources to actually do something, not the case necessarily at Brighton. It would depend on whether any other clubs in Everton's same range make a change and get to Potter first, but if Everton does make the call early and go for him, it's reasonable to think he would go for it.

The problem is and remains Farhad Moshiri. When he first bought into the club, the injection of cash was welcome. Old Bill Kenwright was just using the club to service his theatre debts, and was pretty tight with the purse but also didn't really interfere with the club too much. The Walsh and Brands appointments each seemed promising at the time, but neither of them have been allowed to be proper Directors of Football. It seems like Moshiri needs the final say in the manager and in many of the recruitment choices, and it also seems like he's kind of an idiot.

And frankly I don't know if Everton is a better landing spot than Brighton right now.

The 25 y.o. and under assets at each club worth keeping around:

Brighton
Robert Sanchez
Yves Bissouma
Tariq Lamptey
Alexis McAllister
Enock Mwepu

Everton
Demarai Gray
Ben Godfrey
Richarlison
Anthony Gordon
Mason Holgate
Dominic Calvert Lewin

Each club has more youngsters without much time or on loan, and then a lot of older players and dead weight in the roster. I'm not sure the Everton young core is appreciably better than the Brighton one, which is a massive indictment of our respective resources. If Potter came in with a new Director of Football who had a West Ham like strategy of getting cheap young talents from the Championship and underrecruited areas of Europe and the occasional big money signing, I'd be thrilled, but Moshiri seems to prefer when he's allowed to spend to splash on overpriced trash from big clubs.

Kopa Trophy final standings: 1 = Pedri 2 = Jude Bellingham 3 = Jamal Musiala 4 = Nuno Mendes 5 = Mason Greenwood 6 = Bukayo Saka 7 = Florian Wirtz 8 = Ryan Gravenberch 9 = Giovanni Reyna and Jeremy Doku

Kopa Trophy final standings: 1 = Pedri 2 = Jude Bellingham 3 = Jamal Musiala 4 = Nuno Mendes 5 = Mason Greenwood 6 = Bukayo Saka 7 = Florian Wirtz 8 = Ryan Gravenberch 9 = Giovanni Reyna and Jeremy Doku

Don't really have any issues with these rankings, Pedri clearly is #1. Sucks that Ansu Fati was injured most of the year, I imagine he would have been easily in the top 5, maybe top 2.

Easing Gooner's concerns, Michael Carrick will be in charge tomorrow vs Arsenal as Rangnick is still going through work permit and Covid protocols.

And that caller made some good points but was absurdly negative and I'm not sure he was a true supporter rather than a WUM.

Easing Gooner's concerns, Michael Carrick will be in charge tomorrow vs Arsenal as Rangnick is still going through work permit and Covid protocols.

And that caller made some good points but was absurdly negative and I'm not sure he was a true supporter rather than a WUM.

I hope that means he keeps Ronaldo on the bench. I know that Ronaldo doesn't run anymore and it would be easier to break your press if he is on the field, but if he plays I guarantee he scores and I mentally don't want to deal with that.

I hope that means he keeps Ronaldo on the bench. I know that Ronaldo doesn't run anymore and it would be easier to break your press if he is on the field, but if he plays I guarantee he scores and I mentally don't want to deal with that.
You don't think Ben White or Aaron Ramsdale can stop a 36 year old from scoring?

You don't think Ben White or Aaron Ramsdale can stop a 36 year old from scoring?

I think we could have prime Italy 2006 defense lining up for us and Ronaldo would find a way to score. It's Drogba all over again.

Apparently the FA and English authorities need 'convincing' that Rangnick has the credentials to be a manager of a Premier League club.

But they had no issues with Saudis with oil money and a horrid record of human rights buying a Premier League club.

Cool cool cool. Tight tight tight.

Nice start to the derby as Henderson completes a forward pass right into the opposition's net

What a weird, probably wrongly disallowed goal for West Ham. Bad bad bad

Apparently the FA and English authorities need 'convincing' that Rangnick has the credentials to be a manager of a Premier League club.

But they had no issues with Saudis with oil money and a horrid record of human rights buying a Premier League club.

Cool cool cool. Tight tight tight.

Don’t remember that happening for Bruno Lage.

Can Jurgs please tell his Iberians to stop living down to their stereotype of being some soft ass bitches.

Back