• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I don’t read that quote as discounting xG. You want to avoid signing players massively outperforming xG, that’s useful.
Why would you want to avoid players scoring more than an average player would in the same positions?

That's nonsensical.

Because overperforming expectations doesn’t denote better play.

Take Anthony Martial, nearly 7 goals above expectation last year. That’s broadly unsustainable, he was likely fortunate with multiple goals, and he’s regressed this season to almost two goals below expectation in spite of very similar xG per shot numbers.

Same goes for Mason Greenwood, 6.4 goals above expected last year, down to -1.7 against expectation this season.

You can call that form, but the theory behind the stat is that even elite players won’t outperform expectations forever. The model is meant to continue to adjust for it, though it regularly lags behind.

Because overperforming expectations doesn’t denote better play.

Take Anthony Martial, nearly 7 goals above expectation last year. That’s broadly unsustainable, he was likely fortunate with multiple goals, and he’s regressed this season to almost two goals below expectation in spite of very similar xG per shot numbers.

Same goes for Mason Greenwood, 6.4 goals above expected last year, down to -1.7 against expectation this season.

You can call that form, but the theory behind the stat is that even elite players won’t outperform expectations forever. The model is meant to continue to adjust for it, though it regularly lags behind.

But Mason Greenwood is going to be a top 5 player in the world within 3-4 years

I think I like this Everton lineup? If DCL and Allan aren’t fit to start this is close to our best XI. I like that he’s trying Digne in the midfield. Maybe the 23rd time is a charm today.

I think I like this Everton lineup? If DCL and Allan aren’t fit to start this is close to our best XI. I like that he’s trying Digne in the midfield. Maybe the 23rd time is a charm today.

It's like when Wenger would play Kieran Gibbs at LW but instead of a 80th minute sub to protect a lead, it's from the start.

Digne is not playing midfield.

Everton making the most of every challenge by screaming and corkscrewing to the ground. Get up.

Totally Unofficial 2020/21 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Year three of a PED program is notoriously bad on muscle issues

ALSO GET IN RICHY!

(Little late, I know)

Back