• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2022/23 Premier League Thread

it seems Man United players have collectively forgotten how to play football in yet another 2nd half

its a pattern at this point. worrying.

The point for Spurs didn't help much, but the 2nd half performance was potentially big for the remainder of the run.
I don't think they make it to the top 5...but clearly the squad played for Mason in a way they were never going to for Stellini. What a waste of 3 matches by naming Stellini interim.

y'all isn't it so weird that Liverpool's best run of form of their season is when Darwin Nunez has been relegated to the bench? It's almost like Klopp has realized that Darwin is a donkey and his side is better off with his expensive signing not playing.
#chaos.

y'all isn't it so weird that Liverpool's best run of form of their season is when Darwin Nunez has been relegated to the bench? It's almost like Klopp has realized that Darwin is a donkey and his side is better off with his expensive signing not playing.
#chaos.
1682688676019.png

A bit simplistic of a take, dv7. I know you're a big post hoc, ergo propter hoc type of guy but Nunez has not been nearly as bad as you like to make him out to be and I don't think him not starting is nearly as big a reason for their uptick in form as their improvement in midfield (shoutout TAA as a regista). Clearly there is room to improve for Darwin, and I'll defer to the Liverpool faithful on here for a more nuanced view of things but I think Nunez will be just fine in the long run.

It's all about off the ball stuff and Klopp is a little frustrated his English is still bad/non-existent.

We'll see what happens in the off season, but I think he's kind of drawn a line for this year.

15g 4a in a donkey first year is something to build on though, but it wouldn't be the biggest shocker to me in the world if they cut bait, reading between the lines, imo. I don't think they should and I don't think they will, but I also don't think they had a real plan for him coming in, I don't think the rest of the team had a clue how to defend with him in, and he is a little clueless at the moment unless he is running into channels or instinctive in the box.

The last two brief appearances have been pretty underwhelming, but not nearly as bad as Thiago's last two -- they were both good coming on against Leeds, but who wasn't.

Last edited:
It's looked to me like Nunez was unlucky or lacking poise on many of his opportunities for a large portion of the season. If a 1/3 of those find the back of the goal his season looks wildly different.
I'd be more concerned about him if he didn't have those chances at all.

It's looked to me like Nunez was unlucky or lacking poise on many of his opportunities for a large portion of the season. If a 1/3 of those find the back of the goal his season looks wildly different.
I'd be more concerned about him if he didn't have those chances at all.
he's not a good finisher

BECAUSE HE'S A DONKEY

1682690818416.png

he had one really good season but the proof is there that it is an outlier. I've watched him play plenty. He isn't a striker you want on the end of chances. He just isn't.

Let's go!

I'm not as mad as other United supporters about the challenge that ended up hurting him (thought it was clean) but so excited to see him back and playing again. Explosive talent.

Nunez isn't starting mostly because all 3 of Salah, Jota, and Gapko are playing at a high level. Those three plus a healthy Diaz and Nunez in his second season under Klopp promises for a dynamic and deep front 3 next year.

As discussed here all season, Liverpool's struggles were about its midfield. Putting it on Nunez or any other attacker is silly imo.

the midfield is the same as all season, it wasn't improved in January

The only difference between now, when Liverpool are playing well again, and earlier this season is that Gakpo settled in and Jota and Diaz got healthy. Draw your own conclusions.

You can improve in midfield without adding new players. They have improved in midfield, especially recently with Jones and Trent AA operating more in there. Fabinho has been a lot better, Henderson a little better. They were both absolute dogshit for most of the year.

So that's not the only difference. Could easily also say the form has improved with Thiago being injured and Elliott playing less. Konate has also been more available.

They have also had fewer matches after getting dumped out of the Champs League, and getting that little extra time for recovery/training. Lots of changes not related solely to personnel or buying players.

Back