• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2022/23 Premier League Thread

Areas of need for Everton are many, but I’d rank them:

Striker
2 fullbacks
Gana replacement (Tyler Adams?)

I think we are gonna snap up Viktor Gyorkes from Coventry
Is Gyokeres someone who could play with Calvert-Lewin as well as on his own? I don't really have a good idea -- like, I fully believe he's good, but the few times I've tuned in to Coventry he's been kind of invisible (probably not his fault).

I'm not a big Adams fan (I'm just anti-American), but that seems like it would be a good role for him. Busy, tackly guy in midfield don't expect him to dictate/control anything.

Is Gyokeres someone who could play with Calvert-Lewin as well as on his own? I don't really have a good idea -- like, I fully believe he's good, but the few times I've tuned in to Coventry he's been kind of invisible (probably not his fault).

I'm not a big Adams fan (I'm just anti-American), but that seems like it would be a good role for him. Busy, tackly guy in midfield don't expect him to dictate/control anything.
Dyche wants two big boys up top

Apparently their model doesn’t account for own goals, because Konate did concede one that way.

I think the big thing the graphic (and eye test) show is that zonal marking can work, as much as commentators HATE IT.
i know less than zero about tactics but my chicago fire have been getting crushed on set pieces and use a zonal marking strategy

not apples to apples, but interesting to learn that's what liverpool employs successfully

i know less than zero about tactics but my chicago fire have been getting crushed on set pieces and use a zonal marking strategy

not apples to apples, but interesting to learn that's what liverpool employs successfully
I think (eye test) it requires the right personnel and tactics. The reason all the old players doing comms now hate it is because when they were going, it was unheard of that you wouldn’t pick a player and mark him. The idea of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is big there. You need smart players able to command a zone of space flexibly based on the flight of the ball and with good physical attributes to make it work.

I think (eye test) it requires the right personnel and tactics. The reason all the old players doing comms now hate it is because when they were going, it was unheard of that you wouldn’t pick a player and mark him. The idea of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is big there. You need smart players able to command a zone of space flexibly based on the flight of the ball and with good physical attributes to make it work.
yeah, size is important

seems like the fire can't handle when a zone gets overloaded, especially when it's a zone covered by a non-CB without size

It makes sense in theory to me - that you'd eliminate the ability to run screens or beat one man to get a free look at a header. The downside being a team can easily overload an area of the box and you end up defending 1v2. I'd be interested in a breakdown of goals from corners/set pieces what % of them are contested in some way vs. someone breaking completely free of a mark.

It makes sense in theory to me - that you'd eliminate the ability to run screens or beat one man to get a free look at a header. The downside being a team can easily overload an area of the box and you end up defending 1v2. I'd be interested in a breakdown of goals from corners/set pieces what % of them are contested in some way vs. someone breaking completely free of a mark.
your revs scored two on corners against said zonal (non-)marking

I’ll speak to the big Everton units I know

James Tarkowski can do either thing, he’s a prototype CB that can mark any player on any set piece but also he reads crosses well, great at blocks and interceptions, not huge physically or fast or quick just very, very smart and has good instincts for winning the ball in the air.

Yerry Mina is also the best of both worlds in spite of not being fast or quick at all. He knows exactly where to be and will never be caught out of position defensively. He offered absolutely nothing going forward this season, but when healthy he’s the best defender on the field most games. Nobody is going to outcompete him for a position, doesn’t matter if he needs to mark a man or a part of the field.

Michael Keane is a very good man marker. In a system of man marking where he has a guy he needs to keep in front of or between him and goal, he’s imposing, laterally quick, and makes good decisions. When you give him any free roam at all to mark a zone or to make a decision about where to go, he’s a mess.

Conor Coady sucks at everything? Not sure what he does well. Similar feelings about Ben Godfrey. Not good on the ball, in space, positionally, etc. In the right system their size can be used to advantage. Godfrey is also fast.

Need Branthwaite back from loan, he’s apparently been incredible at PSV Eindhoven.

your revs scored two on corners against said zonal (non-)marking
Jozy's he was clearly wide open and within 2 steps of the goal, because there's no other way Jozy is scoring. For whatever reason Chicago had no one on the back post - they had a flat line across the 6, though a guy on the near post.

Jozy's he was clearly wide open and within 2 steps of the goal, because there's no other way Jozy is scoring. For whatever reason Chicago had no one on the back post - they had a flat line across the 6, though a guy on the near post.
it was a real shame imo

On the other hand, dv7 said it’s nothing special. Gonna prioritize getting there next season for the final year at the grey old lady.

I think I'm somehow less optimistic about Liverpool next year after their 11 match unbeaten run to end the season than I was before, but it could just be end of season depression and this weird Sporting Director set up. A little unsure if the inverted Trent thing is the way to go for good, or if that was just the shake up they needed to push them over the line during what was a favorable run of matches.

I didn't think they were that great as much as I thought Trent AA was that great (and he wasn't that great in the last two, which they drew and still looked vulnerable defensively). That being said, I'm not sure how many clubs put together an unbeaten streak that length this year, which you need to do if you are going to even make City think about it. So they showed they can still dial it up.

They need at least 2 midfielders (I think 3, but I'm actually talking myself into Gakpo being the more advanced 8 on the right) but if that's the way they're going set up permanently, I think they'd need at least two new defenders, too. Matip and Tsimikas might go, Konate isn't the most robust, and Van Dijk is still great, but I think you want to watch his minutes and I don't think he's getting any better from here. Haven't seen them mentioned with too many defenders -- Inacio and Timber more recently, who both seem like they could do a fullback/centerback thing on either side and Timber might be able to do sort of the Trent thing, too, but I'm not sure either could work in a regular centerback pairing in the Premier League. Colwill would be perfect, but if Pochettino is smart he makes that a non starter -- that would be the dream, though.

Think you could make a case for another versatile attacker, too, since Firmino and -- likely -- Carvalho are going, and Gakpo for me has looked more natural in midfield and they still need some shot volume monster in there like Darwin.

Give me: Mac Allister, a 6-ish with a high ceiling (Thuram?), young English/homegrown midfielder (Lavia/Scott/Hackney/O'Riley -- unsure if the last two count as homegrown), versatile defender or 2 (Timber/Inacio/Kelly/Hincapie/Colwill), and a versatile attacker (Chiesa). That's 5/6 which is about the maximum I'd expect them to do (not counting a backup GK if Kelleher goes). Don't know how that works with homegrown numbers.

Eventually something like this:
Alisson
Trent AA/Konate or Timber/VVD/Colwill or Robertson
Gakpo/Fabinho or Thuram/Mac Allister
Salah/Nunez or Diogo J/Diaz

Bench: Zieler; Timber, Robertson, Henderson, Thuram, Elliott, Jones, Diogo J, Chiesa (Gomez, Thiago, Bajcetic, Ramsay, Scott)

Sell: Kelleher, Phillips, Matip, Carvalho, Tsimikas

Talked myself into a little optimism after that. Don't think that's too much of a fantasy? Sorry, that's long and was kind of stream of consciousness.
I find it hard to believe that Gapko as an 8 is a serious option. I fully expect Klopp to rely on his 4-3-3 with Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Jota and Gapko in some kind of rotation for the front 3 spots based on form and health. My assumption is that Liverpool will bring in 3 mids to play along side Fabinho, Henderson, Jones, Elliot, and Bajcetic.

Areas of need for Everton are many, but I’d rank them:

Striker
2 fullbacks
Gana replacement (Tyler Adams?)

I think we are gonna snap up Viktor Gyorkes from Coventry

our CB situation is a mess. the wages being paid out at the position is staggering. surely we'll move on from Mina (our best CB when healthy) and one or both of Keane and Holgate. should we look to sign Coady permanently if he comes cheap?

our CB situation is a mess. the wages being paid out at the position is staggering. surely we'll move on from Mina (our best CB when healthy) and one or both of Keane and Holgate. should we look to sign Coady permanently if he comes cheap?
Mina is already gone. Holgate and Keane are fine, wouldn’t mind upgrading. Both are short on confidence but have flashed very good skill on their day. I would absolutely not bring Coady back under any circumstances. His option is £4.5m for another year. I guess if that’s what the club wants, fine? He’s apparently a good locker room presence. I hate him.

Look at him in this video lol.

Mina is already gone. Holgate and Keane are fine, wouldn’t mind upgrading. Both are short on confidence but have flashed very good skill on their day. I would absolutely not bring Coady back under any circumstances. His option is £4.5m for another year. I guess if that’s what the club wants, fine? He’s apparently a good locker room presence. I hate him.

Look at him in this video lol.

yeah, i agree on Coady. not a fan either and that option might sound cheap but looking into it further, it's really not for a guy his age. and this isn't easy to say, but i will give him props for a game well played against Bournemouth. he was rock solid, basically coming in from cold in a do-or-die game. that's not easy to do.

not sure what you see in Keane and Holgate. they have been god awful for as long as i can remember. hell, even Godfrey was better under Ancelotti than those tw. i wouldn't be confident at all if any of the aforementioned are starting alongside Tarkowski. moving on would obviously depend on the offers, if any. either way, upgrading won't be easy. going to be an interesting summer

Holgate has played out of position too much. Needs a proper coach. He has the tools. Keane is so up and down. He looked like the best defender on the team a few seasons ago and then the worst in the league. I’d be happy to upgrade.

I find it hard to believe that Gapko as an 8 is a serious option. I fully expect Klopp to rely on his 4-3-3 with Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Jota and Gapko in some kind of rotation for the front 3 spots based on form and health. My assumption is that Liverpool will bring in 3 mids to play along side Fabinho, Henderson, Jones, Elliot, and Bajcetic.
For me it depends on if they stick to this Trent inside thing or not. If they use him back as a regular RB then, yeah, you don’t want Gakpo ahead of him and being deeper in midfield.

They could also definitely target someone who could do those things and keep Gakpo up front exclusively like I thought would be the deal with Mount. But what they’ve asked of that right sided position with Trent inverted matches Gakpo’s skill set really well, it’s more like a double 10 (which I think would be perfect for Mac Allister on the left side where Jones has been). He carries the ball well, doesn’t give it away, and is more of a goal threat from there than Henderson or Elliott.

Thought he looked good there against Brentford, and thought the whole team improved when he dropped back in there against Villa and when he came on Saturday. Small sample size, definitely. Unless Mount interest is suddenly back on, or someone like that, I’d prefer him there to the alternatives in the current squad.

I’d definitely rather them buy three plug and play midfielders ready for >2k league minutes, but I have a feeling it might just be Mac with others needing more adaptation and that they might be looking for different style defenders, in which case they might need to think creatively elsewhere.

But I have no clue, I’m just thinking out loud.

I really hope you all know what you’re talking about. You all have become a disturbing amount of my soccer learning.

And now that I know OGB’s American football thoughts are shit I’m having second thoughts. :)

Back