• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

I know you don't really care about Manchester City as a club, DeacMan, it is just a convienent way for you to gloat on an internet message board. I understood that.

But thanks for confirming.

Ansu Fati to Brighton on loan. I don't pay much attention to them, did they get some Saudi owner or something or is this a weirdass fit?

and it was 35 mil for Palmer. Not 45.

And City don't blink at 35 mil if they aren't worried about FFP. Their pockets are endless with Abu Dhabi and they wouldn't think twice about selling a top ACADEMY asset if they weren't concerned about FFP.

Get real.

Ansu Fati to Brighton on loan. I don't pay much attention to them, did they get some Saudi owner or something or is this a weirdass fit?
I get it.

Brighton play good football and will help Fati progress (checks a box for Barca)
Fati is pretty much a guaranteed starter (checks a box for Fati)
Fati will help them win matches and perhaps get into Europe again (checks a box for Brighton)

If he isn't in Barca's immediate plans, which he doesn't seem to be for whatever reason, then this move makes complete sense to me. And some English dude that plays poker named Tony Bloom owns Brighton.

Fulham want Iwobi

Everton should snap their hand off. He isn't good. I've said it for years.

I adore Xavi, favorite player ever, and he seems to be doing most of the right things as manager, but this one seems like a bit too far. Hopefully he keeps Lamine Yamal on the trajectory he's on (what it looked like Fati could be a few years ago).

Most players who go on loan for Barca don't really come back, they just endlessly get loaned out until eventually someone signs them for a pittance or they go on a free.

Meh. I get it but maybe make it a mandatory buy if Amrabat plays like 20 or 25 league matches or something like that. There has to be a middle ground that can be reached. The player clearly wants the move so Fior's hand is very much weakened in these negotiations.

top 2 teams in the Prem. Polar opposites.

Football. Bloody hell. Gotta love this game.

1693490228405.png

TIA reporting:
Liverpool are hoping to sign Bayern Munich midfielder Ryan Gravenberch before 11pm on Friday, but the Dutchman is likely to be their final summer addition.

A short-term agreement to loan Nat Phillips to Celtic, with the option to bring him back in January, suggests there are no plans in place for a centre-back signing.

Liverpool in talks to sign Andre in January – “zero chance” of move this week

We might get 2 more MF this season but apparently we're ready to roll the dice on back line again...
If they get to this point and there's no defender they're sure of, I can kind of get it. But I think it should have been more of a priority all summer if they were committed to this system and groundwork should have been done on options/alternatives; instead it seems the plan was basically praying for Colwill to force a move, which always seemed like a total fantasy.

Konate injury not as serious as first thought, as he's in the France squad. That's good news/bad news. Just stay back at the AXA and rest big Ibou.

giphy.gif

I'm a sucker

You wouldn't be just droning on with yet another hot take on the dealings of a club not named ManU.

Money in / money out since Guardiola arrived in GBP

Man City - 1.4B / 688M
ManU - 1.5B / 317M

Pretty hard to argue City is now conducting fire sales after they just shelled out another 180M this year (with a net of -70M). Just call a spade a spade. ManU has always been a massive spender and their success since transfer fees started spiraling was always largely predicated on being able to spend.

FFP is nothing more than code for the really big clubs don't want anyone ever again doing what Chelsea and City did through uber rich benefactors who didn't have to give a crap about cash flow. Bc Real, United, Barca, etc. don't want yet another club, say Newcastle, to come along and further disrupt the power structures that had long been established. Let's create a cash flow rule. And when it doesn't work as well as we'd hoped, let's be a prime supporter of the European Super League to assure our own cash flows are secured. Bc now that we have to compete year in and year out against more teams to secure Champions' League mulah our entire business model could be threatened.

and it was 35 mil for Palmer. Not 45.

And City don't blink at 35 mil if they aren't worried about FFP. Their pockets are endless with Abu Dhabi and they wouldn't think twice about selling a top ACADEMY asset if they weren't concerned about FFP.

Get real.
Yes, presumably ESPN has it wrong. NVM the reference to him facing more competition for playing time.

FFP is nothing more than code for the really big clubs don't want anyone ever again doing what Chelsea and City did through uber rich benefactors who didn't have to give a crap about cash flow. Bc Real, United, Barca, etc. don't want yet another club, say Newcastle, to come along and further disrupt the power structures that had long been established. Let's create a cash flow rule. And when it doesn't work as well as we'd hoped, let's be a prime supporter of the European Super League to assure our own cash flows are secured. Bc now that we have to compete year in and year out against more teams to secure Champions' League mulah our entire business model could be threatened.
AGAIN, DM, since you don't seem to grasp this

I think FFP is horrible and should have never been implemented. Preach your tired bullshit to somebody else.

14 non-PL teams out of 32 in the Carabao Cup draw and somehow we have 5 PL-only matchups. That sucks. Great for getting some lower teams further but I enjoy having more upset potentials in the cup. Guess we will have to wait for the FA Cup to start.

14 non-PL teams out of 32 in the Carabao Cup draw and somehow we have 5 PL-only matchups. That sucks. Great for getting some lower teams further but I enjoy having more upset potentials in the cup. Guess we will have to wait for the FA Cup to start.
So there's 5 PL-only matchups, 8 PL-non PL matchups, and 3 non-PL only matchups? That distribution seems about right to me (as someone that only casually follows along)

LOL. You‘ve spent years droning on about how Chelsea and City didn’t “earn” their success. No double speak there at all.
Believing that clubs can spend however they wish and should be able to do so without arbitrary restrictions
yet believing clubs that just buy success didn't really earn their way to success

are not mutually exclusive.

Weird that you can't reconcile that in your mind. But you do you and keep pretending you're a Man City supporter. A plastic fan like you is a perfect microcosm for what that club has become.

Spurs are in for Brennan Johnson

I think that'd be a great buy. There is a special player in him just waiting to burst out. His numbers aren't great but he passes my eye test.

lol wut

Manchester United are working to complete a deal to sign left-back Sergio Reguilon on loan from Tottenham Hotspur.

The Old Trafford club have been granted permission for the 26-year-old to travel and undergo a medical.

Did Luke Shaw's leg fall off or something?

Back