• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

So there's 5 PL-only matchups, 8 PL-non PL matchups, and 3 non-PL only matchups? That distribution seems about right to me (as someone that only casually follows along)
I'm not saying it's funky, just a bit disappointing. I am going to get two Newcastle/City games this year anyway, we will have two Brentford London derbies, just sucks that we can't see more distribution of PL/non-PL.

Nat Phillips on loan to Celtic. Done.

Santiago Bueno to Wolves on a transfer. Done.

I'm not saying it's funky, just a bit disappointing. I am going to get two Newcastle/City games this year anyway, we will have two Brentford London derbies, just sucks that we can't see more distribution of PL/non-PL.
Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't this give more of the little guys a chance for said upsets and going further into the competition? I mean it gives them a win and confidence in next round vs having 10 PL clubs (potentially) knock em out? Ie. instead of New Castle and City or United and Palace knocking someone out, two of them gets the axe while 2 non-epl teams advance.

To me the only difference is non-epl clubs get experience, confidence and perhaps the PL clubs use better players in the next round?

I guess you could argue for having 10 matches this round vs 5 this round and 5 next round?

Believing that clubs can spend however they wish and should be able to do so without arbitrary restrictions
yet believing clubs that just buy success didn't really earn their way to success

are not mutually exclusive.

Weird that you can't reconcile that in your mind. But you do you and keep pretending you're a Man City supporter. A plastic fan like you is a perfect microcosm for what that club has become.
But are hypocritical. At least ManU have got a couple of leagues cups and a UEFA cup to show for that 1.2B in net spend the last 7-8 years. Congrats!

It's hilarious that Steven Caulker is involved in two of these in a row: an own goal when he was with QPR, and that batshit Norwich game, when he came on as an emergency centerforward an created havoc before Lallana's winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTB
Love this. I think Pellistri is about to take a huge step forward

Clear 2nd option at that RW spot right now behind Antony. He should see plenty of time on the pitch.

Lame. Just give Alvaro Fernandez a chance. Don't like this at all, but oh well.

Fulham want Iwobi

Everton should snap their hand off. He isn't good. I've said it for years.
I think it’s a little more complicated than this.

Iwobi wasn’t ever going to be good enough for Arsenal. Everton overpaid for him, but he was also one of the more consistently performing players since he joined. And now that Everton have a couple strikers/forwards/wingers in this window, it would be helpful to have someone who can turn in midfield and pick a pass, and he’s been the guy to do that the best for us in recent seasons. Not to mention he’s played both wings, through the center, and fullback for us.

But also, if Fulham want to pay nearly what Everton paid for him, I think given our cash problems you have to take the $. Iwobi refused a new contract from us anyway, his career has been rehabbed a bit since joining, he’ll never be at a top club again, but he’s probably right to want to be away from relegation scraps while he’s near the peak of his career.

The problem with the sale is not having anyone lined up to replace him, nobody in the squad really has his profile.

pacey attacker that makes poor decisions in the final 3rd

where or where could you find a replacement for such a profile?!

pacey attacker that makes poor decisions in the final 3rd

where or where could you find a replacement for such a profile?!
Not claiming he’s amazing or anything. But he won the player of the season last season for players vote, where he led the team in assists, was second in G+A, second in progressive carries, second in minutes played, and created the most goal and shot creating actions from open play on the team. On a club starved for creativity and linking up play, he was pretty much the only one doing anything. Are there better players out there? Probably lots! But he would be tough to replace on no notice.

Not claiming he’s amazing or anything. But he won the player of the season last season for players vote, where he led the team in assists, was second in G+A, second in progressive carries, second in minutes played, and created the most goal and shot creating actions from open play on the team. On a club starved for creativity and linking up play, he was pretty much the only one doing anything. Are there better players out there? Probably lots! But he would be tough to replace on no notice.
Or put another way

Iwobi is a fine mid-table PL player. He is solid as an attacker, does his defensive work pretty well, but never made the leap to a true game changing type player. I think most PL teams would be better for having him in the squad outside of the very top echelon, it's not Iwobi's fault that Everton overpaid for him (which doesn't look that bad in today's market TBH).

So basically: Firmino, Milner, Keita, Oxlade, Fabinho, Henderson out

Gakpo (pushed forward this past Jan.), Endo, Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Gravenberch in.

That's not terrible. Major shift in the age bracket in the right direction, for sure. I'd have liked a little more defensively focused guy other/rather than Endo and another centerback, but whatever. Roll with what you got.

Last edited:
OGB I like you and will always support you in your fight against dv7's tyranny, but you can't count Gakpo as an "in" lol

Back