• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

As a West Ham fan, I'd take this deal in a heartbeat. I love Declan but we need the cash and that's an incredible offer.
Wish your board felt the same way about the first two ridiculous offers. But either way, if they haggle over this bid, I don’t know what WHU’s board is expecting. Arsenal (and City) bid overpay prices, they aren’t also responsible for fixing any FFP concerns that WHU could have with bending over backwards with the deal structure.

Man City reportedly OUT of the Declain Rice sweepstakes as they won't match Arsenal's 105 m all in offer. Now probably just some haggling over how the transfer fee gets paid and Rice will be a Gunner.

Great replacement for the guy about to go to prision for rape that played all of last season. Because Arsenal is classy like that.

Wish your board felt the same way about the first two ridiculous offers. But either way, if they haggle over this bid, I don’t know what WHU’s board is expecting. Arsenal (and City) bid overpay prices, they aren’t also responsible for fixing any FFP concerns that WHU could have with bending over backwards with the deal structure.
WHU's board is largely insane and/or incompetent, but they get things right some of the time. I can't see how they could say no to this one. On paper it's almost everything they wanted, and they'll just have to deal with the structure.

Of course, they also might go spend it all on two players instead of, say, finding five players with smaller profiles. We need bodies in order to be competitive in Europa Cup League this year.

Last edited:
Looks like Maddison to Spurs is on; second priority signing of the summer after Vacario.

Excited for that! Not excited for Lloris to leave. Like, should be a substantial improvement on the on-field product but, you know, my heart.
Same feels. He's been between the sticks since I started seriously watching Tottenham.

Googly Elmo has big shoes to fill.

Also think the Maddison business looks really good sending Winks the other direction. Really hope he has a great year for them in the Championship and helps them get back up.

Man, that's a lot of cash for Rice. He fits Arsenal better than City, though. Go for it, fuck it.

Sounds like Liverpool are now showing interest in Szoboszlai, but it also seems like they're fucking around some. All "interest," "exploring," and "monitoring" while mentioning that they accept a deal will be difficult -- the classics. Everything else has kind of gone quiet. Some stuff on Lavia, and the others still kind of hanging around. They seem like they might be waiting around for an answer from Bayern on Gravenberch, and he's like the last of the ones they've been mentioned with that I'd want, but whatever.

City now possibly going in for Gabri Veiga.

Last edited:
WHU's board is largely insane and/or incompetent, but they get things right some of the time. I can't see how they could say no to this one. On paper it's almost everything they wanted, and they'll just have to deal with the structure.

Of course, they also might go spend it all on two players instead of, say, finding five players with smaller profiles. We need bodies in order to be competitive in Europa Cup this year.
The problem is that once teams know they have that kind money coming in, they are gonna get extorted a bit in negotiations.

Part of the reason I think Tottenham is trying to make Maddison, Guglielmo signings etc. now because I expect them to eventually reach Kane agreement w/Bayern.

Yeah, they've gotta cash in on Kane. They should have cashed in when City were in. But if they don't take 70+ with a year left on the contract it's insane.

Man City reportedly OUT of the Declain Rice sweepstakes as they won't match Arsenal's 105 m all in offer. Now probably just some haggling over how the transfer fee gets paid and Rice will be a Gunner.

Great replacement for the guy about to go to prision for rape that played all of last season. Because Arsenal is classy like that.
Says the guy with Antony on his club

the Antony news broke after Antony played his last match of the season due to injury. You, nor I, have any idea what punishments, if any, will come from them. And Antony wasn't accused of raping multiple women. Hitting a woman is horrible and should never, ever happen, I've said that part numerous times and will say it again. Don't ever hit a woman. From what I recall, however, is that Antony grabbed his on again/off again girlfriend by the arms, creating bruises, and then threw her towards/against the wall. That's also horrific and should never, ever happen. He also threatened, allegedly, to kill himself if she left him. It's just an awful situation and my best guess is that neither of the two main parties involved is all that emotionally mature or sane. Not victim blaming on her, but it is clear that neither person in that situation is making a rational decision.

Not excusing anything Antony is accused of doing by that lady. It's awful. And I personally believe that if the accusations are valid that he should be suspended, without his wages, for a very long time.

I'd still rather be thrown against a wall than raped. And Partey is credibly accused by numerous women of doing it at this point and somehow still out on "extended" bail and Arsenal let him play the entire season knowing these allegations.

In short, fuck off. You and I both know these aren't the same thing. Mason Greenwood is still suspended from the club as well and he's been formally cleared of charges.

£170m for Havertz and Rice, man idk
If you have it, spend it, I guess. Both transfers have been reported to be very clearly Arteta-driven. Considering everything that's happened the last 3 years since he took over, I'm willing to trust his judgement on this.

18-20 months ago Arsenal supporters were having debates about whether Lacazette or Joe Willock should line up as our attacking midfielder in PL games, now we potentially have Rice-Havertz-Odegaard as a midfield with Smith Rowe, Jorginho, and Fabio Vieira as depth options. Still room for improvement but a clear massive step up. And I would be surprised if this is the only midfielder that comes in this summer with Xhaka and Partey both likely to leave.

I like both players it’s just sooo much money. Meanwhile everton are like maybe if we sell Ellis Simms for £4m and loan out Mason Holgate we can afford Calvert-Lewin’s special rehab bills

I like both players it’s just sooo much money. Meanwhile everton are like maybe if we sell Ellis Simms for £4m and loan out Mason Holgate we can afford Calvert-Lewin’s special rehab bills
It is a lot of money. I had many issues with the Kroenke ownership through the end of the Wenger years and during Emery's short tenure. But post-Super League debacle, they have been a model of consistency and smart investment, eating plenty of COVID losses themselves for the betterment of the club. Doesn't hurt that three of their American franchises won a championship in the last 2 years and revenues are at an all-time high. I never thought I'd get to the point that I'd be happy that we have the Kroenke's in charge (especially since Stan went to Mizzou), but with the continued proliferation of oil money and state-backed ownership fronts + whatever Boehly is, the Kroenkes aren't half bad after all.

Idk how City keep doing it but at least the Rice deal felt like those were fake bids just driving up the price for their biggest title hunt rival.

Good for West Ham getting that fee though, will be a big amount of dm production to replace.

Idk how City keep doing it but at least the Rice deal felt like those were fake bids just driving up the price for their biggest title hunt rival.

Good for West Ham getting that fee though, will be a big amount of dm production to replace.
The reporting I saw from City journalists seemed to indicate that the bids were legitimate and not just to drive up the price. Also with regards to that is that it wasn't like WHU was reported to accept the 80M bid and then City came over the top with 90M to make the price go up, WHU was always adamant (to their credit) that they wanted no less than 100M and City merely matched Arsenal's 90M bid but had a different deal structure that was more favorable to WHU. City aren't the type of club who would make a bid just to try and fuck over someone else, they are (frustratingly) smart and Pep seemed to truly want Rice as a Gundogan replacement, but they weren't going to match the ultimate 100+5M bid.

The Man City Rice deal was to the prime the pump

Take off your red and white glasses

Back