• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tougher job ahead of him????? ?

Definately Clawson/Football.

All Manning needs to do is land 1 or 2 studs next year....like a Paul and Eric Williams and wallah, off we go.

Clawson has to land 3 classes in a row of predominantly 3-4 * kids at multiple positions - 17-22 kids per class - to get going toward 7-8 win seasons.

lol all danny manning has to do is land chris paul and eric williams

Manning. Simply because when people hear "Today, WFU basketball..." they tune out. Wellman has conditioned us to ignore WFU basketball as a psychological defense against rage-induced insanity. Sure, people got irritated at Grobe the last few years, but that irritation never really turned to rage. Plus, based on early indications, Clawson and staff are much better at creating excitement.

Manning. Simply because when people hear "Today, WFU basketball..." they tune out. Wellman has conditioned us to ignore WFU basketball as a psychological defense against rage-induced insanity. Sure, people got irritated at Grobe the last few years, but that irritation never really turned to rage. Plus, based on early indications, Clawson and staff are much better at creating excitement.

I think it's way early to make that assertion.....I think even Wake's blind, deaf and crippled PR department will put on some decent hype for basketball. But it's just not time yet.

Manning. All Clawson has to do is consistently win 6 games and occasionally win 8, and beat Carolina whenever the scheduling gods give him the chance. None of these are all that hard to do. Manning has much higher expectations and much higher level of competition to go through to get to those expectations.

I think it's way early to make that assertion.....I think even Wake's blind, deaf and crippled PR department will put on some decent hype for basketball. But it's just not time yet.

Maybe, but as I mentioned on another thread, I feel a lot more excited about our football prospects (as mediocre as they may be) than our basketball prospects. This will change if Manning signs a few top players. But everything that's happened since Manning took over has bored me to tears. That sounds bleak, but boredom is a lot better than Buzz-induced rage.

Maybe, but as I mentioned on another thread, I feel a lot more excited about our football prospects (as mediocre as they may be) than our basketball prospects. This will change if Manning signs a few top players. But everything that's happened since Manning took over has bored me to tears. That sounds bleak, but boredom is a lot better than Buzz-induced rage.

Manning is not as charismatic as Clawson. Of course he isn't the nuclear asshat that Buzz was either. Wake's PR/Athletic Department will have to lead the charge on hype.

Manning is not as charismatic as Clawson. Of course he isn't the nuclear asshat that Buzz was either. Wake's PR/Athletic Department will have to lead the charge on hype.

Hype is bullshit. Manning has two jobs: coach well and recruit well. If we win and get some recruits in, people will get hyped. As long as he is neutral in public appearances and is winning, no one will care. Boeheim, K - these guys aren't focused on hyping their programs. They just win.

Hype is bullshit. Manning has two jobs: coach well and recruit well. If we win and get some recruits in, people will get hyped. As long as he is neutral in public appearances and is winning, no one will care. Boeheim, K - these guys aren't focused on hyping their programs. They just win.

Agree. I was responding to a post about hype...

Hype is bullshit. Manning has two jobs: coach well and recruit well.

Those are the same two jobs Clawson has, yet I love everything that comes out of his mouth. And I like the way his recruiting seems to be going. 100% of those impressions are based on things other than coaching (he hasn't yet) and recruiting (because we really don't know yet). Not to mention that PR affects recruiting, etc.

Some people really thought we were gonna win 7 or 8 games in football last year.

We were right there:

Grobe and company pissed away the BC and ULM games early thanks to the doomed option offense and we lost close road games at Miami and Vandy not to mention at home to dook after squandering a two TD lead.

Football is always harder as you need 50 guys. Basketball you just need 3 great players and 2 role players. Giles could fix things pretty quick.

Recruiting and turning around football is a much larger task. Definitely Clawson. Manning just needs one big recruiting class.

Back