• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

Yeah and y’all are pretty obviously afraid of “woman impersonators” showing up in locker rooms with “male genitalia.”

No dipshit, I was asking why Shooshmoo was asking why a poster had daughters..

He was trying to say something like "what if it was your daughter".. or "what if your daughter had a penis".. something lame like that. We may never know!

The question that remains unanswered.
I was asking Renault if he had daughters, not "why" he had daughters, because he said something lame about "what if it was your daughter" who had to compete with a trans person. And I'm assuming that he does not have daughters based on his non-response, so he is just obsessed with child genitals, which tracks.

Fair enough.

I’m no expert in legal considerations regarding disability. Two things caused me to hesitate. One, we’re talking about people seeking to compete athletically who don’t seem physically disabled and two, there could be some undesirable stigma attached to claiming transsexualism as a disability.

But what you suggest appears to have already played out successfully in a number of court cases and as best I can tell from briefly searching.

Here’s a brief essay published in the Harvard Law Review.

Okay cool, I had not looked any of that up but it seems legally logical to me. It would appear to be the most straightforward way for them to reach their objective of being able to play under the current legal framework.

Every affliction protected under the ADA has stigmas arising from the resulting disability classification, and most of those communities themselves don't agree with the stigmas or the classification as disabled. But, in the grand scheme of things, the benefits of the ADA far outweigh the associated stigmas, which is the purpose of the ADA itself. And plenty of those afflictions have nothing to do with athletics but nonetheless use the ADA for athletic accommodations. Use it or lose it. For example, these helmets are ADA accommodations:

Section 504 and the ADA require that “reasonable accommodations” must be provided for an individual who can establish that he has a “disability” and that he is “otherwise qualified” to participate in the sport or activity in question. A disability is defined in the statutes and in cases interpreting those laws as “a physical or mental impairment limiting one or more major life activities.” Otherwise qualified is defined as “satisfying all of the essential skill, ability, physical and eligibility requirements for participation either in spite of the disability or with reasonable accommodations for the disability.”

It's not about the accommodations, to people like Renault and pinocha (and Liquid Karma and Back to Back apparently) it is the "otherwise qualified". To them someone like Lia Thomas does not satisfy the physical or eligibility requirements for participation in women's sports.

For the 3d time, do you have daughters, bigot?

It's not about the accommodations, to people like Renault and pinocha (and Liquid Karma and Back to Back apparently) it is the "otherwise qualified". To them someone like Lia Thomas does not satisfy the physical or eligibility requirements for participation in women's sports.
Understood, but in reality their opinions don't matter. Reasonable Accommodation cases under the ADA rarely, if ever, lose unless the request is patently absurd. As noted in the Harvard Law Review article that ConnorEl posted, courts have granted accommodations tied to gender dysphoria that are far more significant than playing in a sports league.

The issue, as noted in the article, is that trans people have to accept and promote the condition as a disability to get the full benefits of the law. It has taken other, more established, disabled communities a long time to willingly accept that classification themselves. So I understand why they are hesitant, but at the end of the day it generally gets them where they want to be without much struggle.

CaptRenault- I have no idea if you are being serious or not but if you are.... you have a stunningly misinformed view on the politics of Univ. of South Carolina. Just 100% wrong in every way. Everything in your post is absolutely laughable.

I don't see any hostility at all at USC towards ideas such as "preferred pronouns," transgender ideology, etc. It's the same as any major American campus. The actual beliefs of many students and a few faculty might be different but most don't dare object to such ideas. They know the price to be paid. It's the same at Wake Forest, only worse.

Renault thinks not being hostile towards trans people is "left wing ideology". And LOL at you thinking that the University website not having any "chicks with dicks" comments is indicative of a lack of hostility on campus.

Back to the Staley point, as someone else said, the "safe" answer would have been a non-answer-something like "we'll accept the NCAA's ruling but just want to focus on the game". And she does market herself to people outside the immediate university. If the Gamecocks had lost to Iowa, shitbags like Clay Travis would start rumors of her having lost the team over her comments, and there are SC fans who still read that guy.

I don't see any hostility at all at USC towards ideas such as "preferred pronouns," transgender ideology, etc. It's the same as any major American campus. The actual beliefs of many students and a few faculty might be different but most don't dare object to such ideas. They know the price to be paid. It's the same at Wake Forest, only worse.

This level of fear and anger can only come from someone whose uncle put on a dress and molested him well into adulthood. I'm sorry that happened to you, Capt, but it doesn't mean your hostility is justified. I hope you find the therapy you clearly need.

This is effectively gibberish. Did you read any of the links in any of those searches? For the the "Transgender" search, the first link is to the LGBTQ+ student club, the second is to an academic published paper at the university library published by a professor at the Indiana School of Medicine, the third is to a student news paper article from 2018 about trans veteran healthcare. Here is my favorite from the "pronouns" search: https://scholarcommons.sc.edu/cgi/v...httpsredir=1&article=1013&context=ling_facpub.

"Jackendoff (1969, 1972) first suggested that anaphoric epithets are a variety of pronoun, and pointed to the following examples as evidence that an epithet may be coreferential with a nonlocal NP within the same sentence (1972:110):
(1) I wanted Charlie to help me, but the bastard wouldn’t do it.
(2) Irving was besieged by a horde of bills and the poor guy couldn’t pay them.
(3) Although the bum tried to hit me, I can’t really get too mad at Harry.
Jackendoff claimed that ‘‘[t]hese ‘pronominal epithets’ can occur insome subset of the environments in which pronominalization is possible, and they function semantically more or less as specialized pronouns’’ (1972:110)"

That's your argument for trans people being widely and fully accepted by the students, faculty and administration of USC? You're just throwing raw uncooked pasta at the wall.

I could not help but notice that unfortunate name as well. At least it appears he survived to adulthood past the surely horrifying gauntlet of middle and high school

So the expert on trans epithets name is Jackendoff? That is phenomenal. That is as obvious an instance of foreshadowing as Lou Gehrig dying from Lou Gehrig's disease.
Jackendorff is an expert on pronouns. The linked paper has nothing to do with trans pronouns at all, but rather whether “that bastard” is considered a pronoun in the phrases “I don’t like CaptRenault. That bastard is transphobic.” It’s a linguistics paper from 1998.

Jackendorff is an expert on pronouns. The linked paper has nothing to do with trans pronouns at all, but rather whether “that bastard” is considered a pronoun in the phrases “I don’t like CaptRenault. That bastard is transphobic.” It’s a linguistics paper from 1998.
No "r" please; he is simply Jackendoff. Either way, it makes sense that for a career he would explore the proper usage of Jackenoff, Jackoff, and similar terms of art, having likely heard them millions of times growing up.

Back