• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transparency in the White House

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
Remember 2008?

"My Administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in Government" because "transparency promotes accountability and provides information for citizens about what their Government is doing."

"The American people want to trust in our government again – we just need a government that will trust in us. And making government accountable to the people isn't just a cause of this campaign – it's been a cause of my life for two decades."

-------------------------------

White House office to delete its FOIA regulations

WASHINGTON — The White House is removing a federal regulation that subjects its Office of Administration to the Freedom of Information Act, making official a policy under Presidents Bush and Obama to reject requests for records to that office.

The White House said the cleanup of FOIA regulations is consistent with court rulings that hold that the office is not subject to the transparency law. The office handles, among other things, White House record-keeping duties like the archiving of e-mails.

But the timing of the move raised eyebrows among transparency advocates, coming on National Freedom of Information Day and during a national debate over the preservation of Obama administration records. It's also Sunshine Week, an effort by news organizations and watchdog groups to highlight issues of government transparency.

"The irony of this being Sunshine Week is not lost on me," said Anne Weismann of the liberal Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, or CREW.

"It is completely out of step with the president's supposed commitment to transparency," she said. "That is a critical office, especially if you want to know, for example, how the White House is dealing with e-mail."

It is insane. I mean I know this is not a partisan issue but there is no greater juxtaposition of his speech in 2008 and Obama's presidency in regards to transparency.

By far my biggest issue with this administration. This is one thing I actually believed he was being honest about in his campaign.

Coincidentally, the Obamas are getting rich really quickly. It's amazing how they get rich by doing the Christian thing and helping people.

Coincidentally, the Obamas are getting rich really quickly. It's amazing how they get rich by doing the Christian thing and helping people.

WTF does this have to do with the thread topic?

get-rich-or-die-tryin_o_1022363.jpg

There's never going to be a truly transparent White House. We can just give up that dream.

I have to agree with Ph and the Cap'n. Who believed that horsehockey?

The slurping of bankers and weak financial regs, and its adherence to trickle-down unicorn nonsense, are the glaring fuck ups of this administration.

There's never going to be a truly transparent White House. We can just give up that dream.

Throwing a "truly transparent" straw man out there is one way to defend this shit I guess. It's not black/white, transparent or not...it's a scale of transparency. Obama said he would move things heavily in one direction, and instead he's actually accelerated things beyond previous administrations in the complete opposite direction.

Certainly one of the larger disappointments of this administration, although there are many to choose from.

Throwing a "truly transparent" straw man out there is one way to defend this shit I guess. It's not black/white, transparent or not...it's a scale of transparency. Obama said he would move things heavily in one direction, and instead he's actually accelerated things beyond previous administrations in the complete opposite direction.

Maybe we're splitting hairs, but I don't see how he's accelerating things anymore than just keeping with the pace as government at all levels becomes more distant from the people.

WASHINGTON — The White House is removing a federal regulation that subjects its Office of Administration to the Freedom of Information Act, making official a policy under Presidents Bush and Obama to reject requests for records to that office.

Glad to see other people finally calling Obama out for the sellout that he is.

Been saying that he is George W. Bush version 2.0 for 4 years now. He campaigned as the anti-W, and he has become his doppelganger.

Maybe we're splitting hairs, but I don't see how he's accelerating things anymore than just keeping with the pace as government at all levels becomes more distant from the people.

1) Policies against transparency are what makes government distant from the people. He's setting the pace, not keeping the pace. And that pace is accelerating.

2) Rather than being willing to call him out on refusing to turn the ship around after he made it one of his biggest talking points as a Senator and POTUS nominee, you're defense is that "he's only continuing to fuck the American people at the expected pace"?

So ITT we're holding our elected officials to the letter of what they promised on the campaign trial?

This outta be good.

:popcorn:

Back