• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Travel ban upheld

Many think that Justice Kennedy (middle of the road) is on the verge of stepping down.

Ginsburg is 85 and has had cancer. Reasonable to think that Trump will get to add one if not, two, more before 2020. FWIW, unlikely that Dems will control the Senate in 2018. Even if they did, the margin will be so slim they might not have the votes to block a qualified nominee before 2019.

One thing I do agree with ELC on is that Kennedy is concerned about his legacy. I could envision a scenario where he does not want part of his legacy to be he stepped down while Donald was president.

Several of the most recent Justices who stepped down announced it before on on the last day of their annual session.

We need to keep Notorious RBG on life support until 2021.

Several of the most recent Justices who stepped down announced it before on on the last day of their annual session.

We need to keep Notorious RBG on life support until 2021.

Also, got to consider the possibility that Trump wins reelection in 2020. Initially, thought 8 years with Trump in the White House was virtually impossible, but no longer feels like an impossibility. Disturbingly reminiscent of my feelings about a Trump presidential candidacy about 3.5 years ago.

Also, got to consider the possibility that Trump wins reelection in 2020. Initially, thought 8 years with Trump in the White House was virtually impossible, but no longer feels like an impossibility. Disturbingly reminiscent of my feelings about a Trump presidential candidacy about 3.5 years ago.

The only way Trump is out of office before 2024 is via assassination.

He might very well get impeached if the evidence is bad and democrats retake the House. But I have a strong feeling that his impeachment would mean a red revenge wave in 2020 and Pence would easily win re-election.

Electoral College map is going to be interesting. Donald isn't ever going to win the popular vote. Democrats will need to spend their time in the midwestern swing states and working hard on GOTV efforts. The urban-rural divide will likely be larger in this election than any other in American history.

It's not really about the hardcore Trump states. If the trade wars continue, states like PA, WI, IA, MI, OH become problematic.

Screwing up Maria recovery could be more of a problem than Katrina ever was for the GOP. It won't take many more Puerto Ricans moving to FL to give Trump a lot of problems there.

I have to admit that I'm shocked at the spread in the AZ Senate race. At best, I thought it might be a toss-up. With all of Trump's immigration policies, AZ may actually be in play.

The Dems need to get rid of as much of the old guard as they can. They are a huge anchor on their chances.

It may still turn out this way, but I recall a few people on here scoffing that Sinema had a chance (nontheistic and bisexual). She's a very solid candidate and has a massive war chest.

Kennedy's concurrence is very interesting (sorry for formatting issues - pulled directly from supremecourt.gov)

"There are numerous instances in which the
statements and actions of Government officials are not
subject to judicial scrutiny or intervention. That does not
mean those officials are free to disregard the Constitution
and the rights it proclaims and protects. The oath that all
officials take to adhere to the Constitution is not confined
to those spheres in which the Judiciary can correct or even
comment upon what those officials say or do. Indeed, the
very fact that an official may have broad discretion, discretion
free from judicial scrutiny, makes it all the more
imperative for him or her to adhere to the Constitution
and to its meaning and its promise.

The First Amendment prohibits the establishment of
religion and promises the free exercise of religion. From
these safeguards, and from the guarantee of freedom of
speech, it follows there is freedom of belief and expression.
It is an urgent necessity that officials adhere to these
constitutional guarantees and mandates in all their actions,
even in the sphere of foreign affairs. An anxious
world must know that our Government remains committed
always to the liberties the Constitution seeks to preserve
and protect, so that freedom extends outward, and
lasts"

"And with that, I give you my seat."

Back