• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

"JL Caspers a Prohibition Steakhouse coming to the second floor of Roar at 633 North Liberty Street. JL Caspers will feature all your favorite Steaks, Chops, and Rotisseries!
Does JL Caspers sound familiar? "The name comes from a family that established a distillery in Winston-Salem in 1861. John L. Casper, the grandson of the founder, was known for being a shrewd businessman who got the idea to expand into the mail-ordering business in the 1890s. Casper’s upscale liquor came in a distinctive blue bottle, but the box it was shipped in was unmarked – a smart marketing move that customers loved. Eventually, the Casper Co. became a blender and bottler, using whiskey from more than 20 distilleries in the area. Until North Carolina began state prohibition in 1908, Casper was said to be one of the top mail-order distributors of alcoholic beverages in the country."

(Michael Hastings)

I know some of the Triad folks were so-so on Cugino Forno but I’ve been to the new Durham location a few times and it’s really good. That crust is phenomenal.

I know some of the Triad folks were so-so on Cugino Forno but I’ve been to the new Durham location a few times and it’s really good. That crust is phenomenal.

I mean it's probably top tier for Durham.

Just hard when Mission is in town as a comparison.

I mean it's probably top tier for Durham.

Just hard when Mission is in town as a comparison.

But Cugino is next to Incendiary while Mission is across the street from Fiddle Fish. Cugino + Incendiary wins that fight.

As far as Neapolitan pizza goes, it's ok. Don't think their ovens get hot enough, as every pie I've ever had there has had a gum line. For what it is and the price and location with Incendiary it's a great spot to hang out. But Mission is just so much better.

Hoping to try Mediterraneo, in Clemmons, soon. Have heard good things about their Neapolitan pies.

Last edited:
But Cugino is next to Incendiary while Mission is across the street from Fiddle Fish. Cugino + Incendiary wins that fight.

yah I mean it's solid enough and obviously in a great location, just saying on a pizza vs pizza location when mission had existed for years and then they move in, there are gonna be comparisons made

As far as Neapolitan pizza goes, it's ok. Don't think their ovens get hot enough, as every pie I've ever had there has had a gum line. For what it is and the price and location with Incendiary it's a great spot to hang out. But Mission is just so much better.

Hoping to try Mediterraneo, in Clemmons, soon. Habe heard good things about their Neapolitan pies.

this man knows his pizza

Was thinking it might be the flour, but I do recall seeing the bags of 00 flour near the entrance. Some pies have burnt toppings, so it could just be technique and timing as to why the crust doesn't rise. Or maybe it's how they make their fires.

Sean Brock invited Peyton (Mission Za) out to do a pop-up with him in Nashville. Game respects game.

Cugino is good for what it is. A chain who is trying to expand and also working on getting into the frozen pizza market. It's more about the brand/money than the food. Living that CPK life. I will happily eat it when I'm drinking in Incendiary's great space and letting my kid run around, but I'd never choose to eat there for the food itself.

Also Mission is located next to all the IH digs. So you have Fiddlin across the street, but Wise Man, Radar etc. are all just a stones throw away.

Back