• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump and Trade

It will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think the voters are going to like the results of their actions, but maybe the President will prove me wrong.

I think what's going to be interesting to watch, for both America and the UK, is the practical reality of having to negotiate and renegotiate trade deals with individual nations where broader regional/group deals are withdrawn from. I think in theory it's one thing (namely it can be projected or spun as a fast process) but in reality it's another. All this talk from Donald and the conservatives in the UK about "quickly" doing anything with regard to new trade deals, I think is pretty absurd. It takes years and years to negotiate a comprehensive and thorough trade agreement, and it's entirely possible that these two nations would have to do this with dozens and dozens of individual countries if they both stick to this thought of "we're going to eschew the status quo with trade agreements."

I also wonder if Donald knows yet that China isn't a party to the TPP.

Just another push for something that doesn't work in a globalize world with an attempt to return to the glory days.

I think what's going to be interesting to watch, for both America and the UK, is the practical reality of having to negotiate and renegotiate trade deals with individual nations where broader regional/group deals are withdrawn from. I think in theory it's one thing (namely it can be projected or spun as a fast process) but in reality it's another. All this talk from Donald and the conservatives in the UK about "quickly" doing anything with regard to new trade deals, I think is pretty absurd. It takes years and years to negotiate a comprehensive and thorough trade agreement, and it's entirely possible that these two nations would have to do this with dozens and dozens of individual countries if they both stick to this thought of "we're going to eschew the status quo with trade agreements."

I also wonder if Donald knows yet that China isn't a party to the TPP.

Oh, he knows China isn't a party to the TPP.

And you are absolutely correct about the process. I wonder if he'll just give it a passing effort and then move to rip up the whole thing.

Last edited:
Just another push for something that doesn't work in a globalize world with an attempt to return to the glory days.

What won't work? If he renegotiates a "better" deal that restores more balance to the trade deficit with Mexico how is that, per se, a bad thing? You seem to be conflating the fact we live in a global economy with one trade deal that the administration thinks has led to a harmful trade imbalance. Those are not necessarily the same thing. There are legitimate potential criticisms of redoing any trade deal. But this type of glib statement doesn't say anything.

you can definitely make more gold picking "mercantilism" but the game is much easier when selecting "capitalism". always watch out for Ghandi, doe

What won't work? If he renegotiates a "better" deal that restores more balance to the trade deficit with Mexico how is that, per se, a bad thing? You seem to be conflating the fact we live in a global economy with one trade deal that the administration thinks has led to a harmful trade imbalance. Those are not necessarily the same thing. There are legitimate potential criticisms of redoing any trade deal. But this type of glib statement doesn't say anything.

How long do you think it will take to negotiate one single trade deal with another nation? Much less adding in that he would theoretically be trying to negotiate multiple deals at the same time. This alone isn't a reason to oppose change, but I think we need to fully contextualize the type of commitment a nation needs to make to have this type of overhaul and I really think Donald is just doing himself a disservice by indicating that this can be a fast process.

How long do you think it will take to negotiate one single trade deal with another nation? Much less adding in that he would theoretically be trying to negotiate multiple deals at the same time. This alone isn't a reason to oppose change, but I think we need to fully contextualize the type of commitment a nation needs to make to have this type of overhaul and I really think Donald is just doing himself a disservice by indicating that this can be a fast process.

Re-negotiating NAFTA? Complex mess. Just one aspect of that type of deal is way more complex than people realize - like trucking. Do we allow Mexican trucks on our roads, what inspections do they need, what driver's exams are required, what is required equipment in the cab and on and on and on. Hence my thinking he may engage, say he gave it the college try and then just rip the thing up and start unilaterally imposing what amount to tariffs. They are already alluding to the idea that if they can't get a better deal they'll just walk out on the deal altogether. But I will say this. It is far easier to renegotiate something that is in place than to start from scratch.

President Trump is hitting the groujd running.

Changing the laws about trucking will have zero impact on the trade deficit with Mexico.

The reality is the richer country will almost always buy more from the less rich country than vice versa. We will always have a big trade deficit with Mexico due to their lower standard of living. However, NAFTA has greatly increased sales of our products to Mexico.

NATFA isn't perfect. The trucking is bad. The worst parts are things Trump will never change. The worst is the differing standards for pollution. Trump doesn't believe in things like this. Secondly, he'll never lessen the farm subsidies we have put in place to allow our farmers to massive amounts of corn and wheat to Mexico at prices so low that many farms in Mexico have gone out of business. This was a major factor in illegal immigration.

lol thanks for the trucking take RJ, it's like you didn't even read his post.

Does he mean 4-wheel trucks or 18-wheelers ?

maxresdefault.jpg

Back