• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump and Trade

I agreed with him about him about the trucking problem. It's like you didn't read my post.

By now you've probably re-read his post and discovered that he didn't say there was a trucking problem.

Defintely not as much equipment in the cab of a small truck as their is in one of those 18-wheelers. What are the current regulations regarding mexican truckers sleeping in the cab of their trucks ? Are there designated areas where it's allowed/not allowed ? How could this change with Trump ?

I'm generally curious about the timing aspect because of the discussions surrounding May's announcement last week about how Brexit would happen. NPR had advisors on, including one from the Brookings, that speculated if the UK had to renegotiate (even using a current agreement as a backbone) all their trade deals with America it would take over a decade alone. A UK-America trade deal would certainly be one of the more complex that had to be renegotiated, but using that as a starting point it's not hard to see how it would be almost impossible for Donald's efforts on changing our trade agreements to come to fruition on anything close to a "short" timetable - which seems exactly what he has in mind.

By now you've probably re-read his post and discovered that he didn't say there was a trucking problem.

" Just one aspect of that type of deal is way more complex than people realize - like trucking. Do we allow Mexican trucks on our roads, what inspections do they need, what driver's exams are required, what is required equipment in the cab and on and on and on"

In what world does listing all those issues not constitute a problem?

Basically, you are saying, if RJ says it, this must be wrong.

Changing the laws about trucking will have zero impact on the trade deficit with Mexico.

The reality is the richer country will almost always buy more from the less rich country than vice versa. We will always have a big trade deficit with Mexico due to their lower standard of living. However, NAFTA has greatly increased sales of our products to Mexico.

NATFA isn't perfect. The trucking is bad. The worst parts are things Trump will never change. The worst is the differing standards for pollution. Trump doesn't believe in things like this. Secondly, he'll never lessen the farm subsidies we have put in place to allow our farmers to massive amounts of corn and wheat to Mexico at prices so low that many farms in Mexico have gone out of business. This was a major factor in illegal immigration.

Uh, ok. I was responding to a question about how hard it would be to change a trade deal, not whether one aspect of said deal impacts trade imbalance in any significant way. But sure, continue to chime in with tangents.

Back