• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump fires Acting Attorney General Sally Yates

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Trump has just fired acting AG Sally Yates for not supporting the EO.

"For betraying" the law.

Welcome to a new Watergate Era.

I don't think it's clear cut.

She's not wrong for refusing to defend the EO. And her responsibility is to the law and the Constitution, not the President. There's a long history of Justice Dept. independence on this front, for good reason.

That said, I think she should have resigned and said her piece. She forced Trump's hand and left him with no choice but to fire her

55030469.jpg

She's not wrong for refusing to defend the EO. And her responsibility is to the law and the Constitution, not the President. There's a long history of Justice Dept. independence on this front, for good reason.

That said, I think she should have resigned and said her piece. She forced Trump's hand and left him with no choice but to fire her

Or fucking wait 3 or 4 days until Sessions is approved?

Just fucking absurd.

I don't follow. What she did wasn't wrong, but Trump's hand was forced. Some piece is missing here.

Or fucking wait 3 or 4 days until Sessions is approved?

Just fucking absurd.

Well that wasn't really an option dude. If you think the policy shouldn't be defended, you can't just suck it up and defend it anyway. Violates your oath

I don't follow. What she did wasn't wrong, but Trump's hand was forced. Some piece is missing here.

Saying that she would not defend the law but then not resigning was wrong. You don't just get to make that decision unilaterally as the AG. If the president wants you to defend something and you don't think you can, the right thing to do is voice your concerns and step down

Saying that she would not defend the law but then not resigning was wrong. You don't just get to make that decision unilaterally as the AG. If the president wants you to defend something and you don't think you can, the right thing to do is voice your concerns and step down

I thought the AG could rightfully refuse to defend something if there was precedence or law that they could point to? Not necessarily in this case since it's somewhat uncharted territory, but I don't think she had to step down if she couldn't defend what Trump asked.

I could be wrong in this, especially since the United States could in theory be sued and need to have representation in a court of law.

Trump just fired the only person in the government who could sign foreign intelligence wiretapping warrants.

According to CNN, the signer has to be someone confirmed by the senate. I don't know if she fits that bill.

On the west wing Bartlet always hated his AG, so I think Trump was wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back