• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Not Allowed on Colorado, Maine Ballots

Just awful that a federal court can’t convict this SOB of these legitimate charges and be done with the charade Maine and Colorado are trying. Until then, they are simply making him a further martyr to his base who wouldn’t care if they led the bastard away in handcuffs.
He could shoot someone in the face on fifth avenue and wouldn’t lose any voters.

I don't believe that's at all clear which is the vague part of this all.

Also, to an earlier comment, I'm not sure how this could be done at the federal level as far as ballot removal given that states run elections. Does the SCOTUS even have the authority to declare candidates off the ballot? I really don't know the answer to that. Perhaps it's been done historically though?

Federal law is what protects the right to vote in federal elections, so why couldn't it somehow apply here?

It's certainly a legal question we are bound to get an answer to.

Federal law is what protects the right to vote in federal elections, so why couldn't it somehow apply here?

It's certainly a legal question we are bound to get an answer to.
The right to vote, yes. But that's not what the legal question is as far as appearing on the ballot I don't believe. Eligibility for that is, I believe, a states' rights issue since elections are within states' purview.

What is needed in terms of proof of insurrection for section 3 to apply? Like does he need to have been officially charged or indicted or anything?
Should not need to be officially charged or indicted. Hundreds of thousands of Confederate military members were never indicted nor formally tried. However, they were barred from federal office under the 14th amendment. That is why it was written.

Colorado trial court had a trial with you know, evidence and witnesses and all that. Trump chose not to appear. He had attorneys represent him. The decision from that trial was that Trump did participate in insurrection.

He could shoot someone in the face on fifth avenue and wouldn’t lose any voters.
I’ll go one step further and say that might even GAIN him voters. Honestly , I think trying to get trump removed from ballots in states he was going to lose is going to backfire. It will probably galvanize more of his supporters to vote. Short of his death, nothing will stop him. And even in his death, he will replace saint reagen and be the holy trinity/idealogy for the Republican Party for years to come.

Depends on who he shoots. If he shoots a Democrat he gains voters. If it's an illegal immigrant he is president for life.

Any Republican or cop can shoot someone and gain supporters. That little shithead Kyle Rittenhouse has a whole career based on grabbing a gun and shooting protesters on a busy street.

I have no idea how the Supreme Court will rule on this. But it may be worth noting that the Trump appointees all started before Jan 6. That may be a non-starter for them. They're all long-time party loyalists going back well before Trump. I don't think we can just assume they'll pave the way for Trump. They're three of the only people in the conservative ecosystem who can oppose Trump without paying a real price.

I have no idea how the Supreme Court will rule on this. But it may be worth noting that the Trump appointees all started before Jan 6. That may be a non-starter for them. They're all long-time party loyalists going back well before Trump. I don't think we can just assume they'll pave the way for Trump. They're three of the only people in the conservative ecosystem who can oppose Trump without paying a real price.
Although if they’re like Clarence Thomas and are on the grift train, they’ll vote their pocketbook.

Although if they’re like Clarence Thomas and are on the grift train, they’ll vote their pocketbook.
No question. But there's plenty of money to go around. They can get in some of that Koch brothers Nikki Haley money.

No question. But there's plenty of money to go around. They can get in some of that Koch brothers Nikki Haley money.
I did not think of that. Excellent and also depressing point. Highest bidder gets the vote.

Back