• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Not Allowed on Colorado, Maine Ballots

i mean republicans will huff and puff about taking Biden off the state ballot but they have no leg to stand on...give it a shot. they LOVE to waste a lot of money on investigations and procedures and get absolutely nothing out of them.

bunch of whiny little bitches. i have no idea why anyone would vote republican.
Hmmm... I wonder...

i mean republicans will huff and puff about taking Biden off the state ballot but they have no leg to stand on...give it a shot. they LOVE to waste a lot of money on investigations and procedures and get absolutely nothing out of them.

They get plenty politically from these phoney investigations.

The Democratic Party suffered defeat in 2000 amd 2016 because of the whitewater investigation. The GOP gets plenty of reward out of their huffing and puffing and “investigations.”

Great. Now the door is wide open for this to become a regular weaponization of SecStates in future elections. Needs to be removal at the federal level, which it won't be.

No I do not think Democrat candidates will attempt an insurrection. I think Republicans are better at winning local and state elections (see school board shenanigans) and will absolutely push candidates that threaten to remove democrats from the ballot for whatever reasons they can think of. I do not underestimate their ability to do shady shit.
I agree, but I wouldn't put it past the birther party to try that regardless of what the Dems did. Still sucks to give the ideas though.

I'm also a bit worried about how this will affect down ballot races. Trumpers will make it a personal challenge to write him in to victory in any state where his removed, and if they also vote in the Senate we might lose Angus King, for example. What's right is right regardless of electoral results, but I'm still worried.

I agree, but I wouldn't put it past the birther party to try that regardless of what the Dems did. Still sucks to give the ideas though.

I'm also a bit worried about how this will affect down ballot races. Trumpers will make it a personal challenge to write him in to victory in any state where his removed, and if they also vote in the Senate we might lose Angus King, for example. What's right is right regardless of electoral results, but I'm still worried.
Probably not since Maine has ranked choice.

What is needed in terms of proof of insurrection for section 3 to apply? Like does he need to have been officially charged or indicted or anything?

I don't believe that's at all clear which is the vague part of this all.

Also, to an earlier comment, I'm not sure how this could be done at the federal level as far as ballot removal given that states run elections. Does the SCOTUS even have the authority to declare candidates off the ballot? I really don't know the answer to that. Perhaps it's been done historically though?

The amendment is vague but it was put in for a specific reason and has been followed. So it shouldn't be too difficult to see how it was applied to Confederates and apply it here.

I don't believe that's at all clear which is the vague part of this all.

Also, to an earlier comment, I'm not sure how this could be done at the federal level as far as ballot removal given that states run elections. Does the SCOTUS even have the authority to declare candidates off the ballot? I really don't know the answer to that. Perhaps it's been done historically though?
Didn’t they teach that in 8L?

The suspreme court will insist that donnie jenius did nit use the word insurrection so we don't really know his intent, so... probs just a stroll on capital grounds. With guns and a gallows.

What is needed in terms of proof of insurrection for section 3 to apply? Like does he need to have been officially charged or indicted or anything?
Very few if any Confederates were indicted or charged but all had participated in an insurrection thus this clause was written to apply. Same thought here. Further, the Colorado Supreme Court stated in ruling that Trump participated in an insurrection.

So then what prevents a state from just saying someone did this to keep someone off the ballot?

I think Trump is an insurrectionist but shouldn’t someone have to be at least charged to be able to invoke this?

I think it's a fascinating question. The language of "have engaged in insurrection or rebellion" may or may not be referencing to specific charges someone could face. To BCobb's point (and to the originalist nature for the conservatives out there) I'm sure we can get some insight into what Congress intended from contemporary discussions/debates/arguments

Just awful that a federal court can’t convict this SOB of these legitimate charges and be done with the charade Maine and Colorado are trying. Until then, they are simply making him a further martyr to his base who wouldn’t care if they led the bastard away in handcuffs.

Back