• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump will be removed before he can finish his term

they are familiar with the alternative

You mean Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, Chris Christie, Ted Cruz, Carly Fiorina, Jim Gilmore, Lindsey Graham, Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, John Kasich, George Pataki, Rand Paul, Rick Perry, Marco Rubio, Rick Santorum, and Scott Walker?

nywaes

He's not turning up the heat slowly at all. He's turning up the heat quickly and Republicans are helping.

He's not turning up the heat slowly at all. He's turning up the heat quickly and Republicans are helping.

I agree with this, mostly. The temperature was turned way up during the campaign and has just gotten higher. Trump actually called for his opponent to be jailed at rallies and campaign events 2 years. People were chanting "Lock Her Up!!!" and the fucking GOP convention, and most rational folks just thought it was funny and not a threat to our Democracy. As Isaac Brock declared way back in 2008, we were dead before the ship even sank.

Why Bill Clinton Must Resign Or Be Impeached

By Mike Pence, Late 1990’s

Excerpt:
While the office brings with it the duties that attend the administration of the government, as President Herbert C. Hoover wrote, "The Presidency is more than executive responsibility. It is the inspiring supreme symbol of all that is highest in our American ideals." When a president fails to fulfill his oath of office, as is the case where the law is broken in a big way or a small way (another way of saying high crimes or misdemeanors), the Constitution provides for a mechanism whereby the legislative branch might impeach him.

This may seem drastic to the average American. It is. Our founders intended it to be so because they intended the President of the United States to be the center of the government of the United States. Other constructs were considered, including the appointment of a prime minister-like president by the legislative branch, but all were rejected in favor of a strong and elected President. Alexander Hamilton defended this concept in 'The Federalist' writing, "the Executive is a leading characteristic in the definition of good government... it is essential to the steady administration of the law." Hamilton also cautioned against long suffering where a President failed to meet this high standard, writing, "a feeble Executive implies a feeble execution of government. A feeble Executive is but another name for a bad executive; and a government ill-executed... must be proclaimed a bad government."

Against this recitation of the Supreme Law of the Land, only one sad conclusion attaches; President Bill Clinton must resign or be removed from the office of President of the United States.

Full story: http://web.archive.org/web/20010306205858fw_/http:/www.cybertext.net/pence/pres.html

Despite his absurd assertions to the contrary, President Clinton's admission to a sexual relationship with Monica Lewinsky stands in diametric opposition to his sworn testimony in the Jones vs. Clinton case. The President's responsibility to faithfully execute the laws of the land begins in his own administration. The President committed perjury. Perjury is a crime. President's who commit crimes should resign or be impeached.

Further, the Presidents repeated lies to the American people in this matter compound the case against him as they demonstrate his failure to protect the institution of the presidency as the 'inspiring supreme symbol of all that is highest in our American ideals'. Leaders affect the lives of families far beyond their own 'private life'. In the Bible story of Esther we are told of a king who was charged to put right his own household because there would be "no end of disrespect and discord" among the families of the kingdom if he failed to do so. In a day when reckless extramarital sexual activity is manifesting itself in our staggering rates of illegitimacy and divorce, now more than ever, America needs to be able to look to her First Family as role models of all that we have been and can be again.

Chaser.

The Two Schools of Thought on Clinton

By Mike Pence, August 1999

With the news on August 17th that the President of the United States lied to the American people (and very likely under oath) about an illicit relationship with a college student, readers are no doubt wondering "where to from here?" The two schools of thought can be summed up in the choices presented through various and diverse sources, namely, move on or move out.

The "move on" crowd's argument goes something like this; 'the President admitted he made a mistake, you have your pound of flesh, now let's move on with the serious issues facing the country'. While this approach is appealing even to some of us who have little regard for the policies of this Administration, it's just not as simple as all that. The 'Move On Crowd's argument is predicated on the notion that presidents, just like the rest of us, ought to be entitled to a little privacy. This argument fails on two grounds; (A) President Clinton made this issue public when he denied it eight months ago and (B) President Clinton is not, by definition, 'like the rest of us'.

On the first count, the President has admitted to having taken advantage of a college intern working at the White House (that's a public building) who was on the White House Staff (that's public employment) on many occasion in and around the Oval Office (again a public building). Also, the President lied about the affair in public and (very likely) under oath in Jones vs Clinton. He also may have used the power of his PUBLIC office to cover up the whole sordid matter. This was not a private matter and cannot legitimately be argued as such. A truly private matter in this realm might be an affair between the President and a friend not working in the White House for whom no favors were granted and no cover-up attempted. That, it seems to me, could be argued as part of one's (immoral) private life. Ms. Lewinski is a part of the President's public life not his private life.

On the second count, that the President is 'just like the rest of us', he is the most powerful man in the world. If you and I fall into bad moral habits, we can harm our families, our employers and our friends. The President of the United States can incinerate the planet. Seriously, the very idea that we ought to have at or less than the same moral demands placed on the Chief Executive that we place on our next door neighbor is ludicrous and dangerous. Throughout our history, we have seen the presidency as the repository of all of our highest hopes and ideals and values. To demand less is to do an injustice to the blood that bought our freedoms.

So we get to the other, and in my view, only school of thought remaining. For America to move on, and we must, the Clintons must move out of the White House. Either the President should resign or be removed from office. Nothing short of this sad conclusion will suffice to restore the institution of the presidency to its former and necessary glory."

http://web.archive.org/web/19990821083429/http:/www.hublergroup.com:80/pence/clinton2.html

I'm not going to do it, obviously, but somebody should just write up in formal language the (many) biblical arguments against Trump and make them available. Won't change anybody's minds but will be available for future leverage.

4Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;b 6it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.

NED, 2 things. First, consistency is not exactly a human trait, especially for pols in Washington, and that's true for both sides of the aisle. So it's not really news when a DC pol is inconsistent in his positions. Second, Trump is doing everything evangelicals want him to do, so therefore 80-90% of evangelicals will look the other way. The Sojourner types are a small minority of the evangelical community. Are evangelicals in general the biggest hypocrites in the US today? Sure, but they still wield way too much power in the Pub party in southern and midwestern states, so it is what it is. I remember when I was in high school 1 of my Sunday School teachers saying in class that it was time to put a Christian back in the WH in 1980. At the time, I was amused at the irony in that statement, but it's been that way for the last 40 years. Barry Goldwater, who was rarely if ever inconsistent in his positions, would be less than enthused with today's Pub party.

It’s about queers and dead fetuses. The master stroke of the Republican Party was partnering with the Religious Right and stoking religious ferver over abortion during the first carter admin to solidify the Southern Strategy. Brilliant. Christians who didn’t give two shits about abortion during or after RvW now had a crusade, and here we are with them supporting a blowhard idiot bag of corruption and lies to further the crusade. They will sell out anyone and everyone, including themselves, to (in their minds) save these fetuses.

Carter is the most devout Christian president in my lifetime and evangelicals hate him.

He was, and the fear was that he was soft on school integration and he had to go.

NED, 2 things. First, consistency is not exactly a human trait, especially for pols in Washington, and that's true for both sides of the aisle. So it's not really news when a DC pol is inconsistent in his positions. Second, Trump is doing everything evangelicals want him to do, so therefore 80-90% of evangelicals will look the other way. The Sojourner types are a small minority of the evangelical community. Are evangelicals in general the biggest hypocrites in the US today? Sure, but they still wield way too much power in the Pub party in southern and midwestern states, so it is what it is. I remember when I was in high school 1 of my Sunday School teachers saying in class that it was time to put a Christian back in the WH in 1980. At the time, I was amused at the irony in that statement, but it's been that way for the last 40 years. Barry Goldwater, who was rarely if ever inconsistent in his positions, would be less than enthused with today's Pub party.

I agree and get that 2 columns from Pence aren’t going to make a dent in the support for Trump.

But I disagree on saying “it is what it is” and moving on. Blatant hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty needs to be called out on both sides of the aisle - both elected officials and voters who partake in it. I’m all for the natural evolution and changes in one’s views (more information, different context, etc) but blatant hypocrisy because it’s politically expedient should not be tolerated. People like Mike Pence and Paul Ryan should be shunned for not being honest with themselves and more importantly the American people. We’re a republic and we elect them to lead and make decisions based on what’s best for the country...not what’s best for a party or because a constituency demands something like a petulant child.

Intellectual dishonesty is one of the root causes of our problems today. You can’t solve problems and build a better future with two parties plus a constituency that would rather work in partisan fiction than in an honest reality.

Back