• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump will be removed before he can finish his term

Much better for Dems if they take House to just continue to investigate Trump corruption vs going for impeachment. IMO it makes him easier to beat in 2020. Were he to step aside for some reason, Pence would be harder to beat. Not a lot harder, but some because it'll be harder to prove what he knew and when he knew it.

Exactly, DeacWatcher.

Premature impeachment could risk not learning the whole story. There are plenty of big fish to fry.

I hope that Trump isn't impeached. I want him to run in 2020 after more of his inner circle goes to jail and more of his crimes become public. Let's go for a wipeout.

Trump will not be the Republican nominee in 2020.

seh6p.gif

Unless something changes, I don't know how not. He's very popular with Republicans. I think he's 87% now, which is Reagan-like numbers.

on the other hand, Trump and his cabal will have abolished the constitution by 2020 so junebug is probably right

I'd imagine you can get some pretty good odds laying bets on Pence, Kasich, Romney if you believe this.

I don't see any Donald v. GOP field odds, but Donald is a 4/7 favorite on a couple British books to be the 2020 GOP nominee.

Much better for Dems if they take House to just continue to investigate Trump corruption vs going for impeachment. IMO it makes him easier to beat in 2020. Were he to step aside for some reason, Pence would be harder to beat. Not a lot harder, but some because it'll be harder to prove what he knew and when he knew it.

Agree strongly with your 1st 2 sentences. But not so sure about Pence being harder to beat. Pence generates little excitement with today's Pub base. He was losing popularity in IN when he was added to the ticket. He was losing the business community by his support for that stupid religious freedom bill and then lost populist conservatives when he backed off that bill and enacted a much more watered down version of that bill. I think he's largely viewed as a a sycophant who totes Trump's water by folks on both sides.

As for Trump not being the 2020 Pub nominee, who else is going to be? I mean, he could die or become disabled. At this point, there aren't anywhere near 67 votes in the senate to convict, so any impeachment proceedings would just be an exercise in futility. The guy still enjoys 80-90% favorability among Pub voters and is way more popular than Ryan or McConnell, so who is going to successfully primary him? Sasse is thinking about it, but Sasse's problem is he's a true traditional conservative whose party has been taken over by the populists, and he knows that he's not anywhere near as popular as Trump, so Trump would drub him in the primaries unless there is some fundamental change that takes place in the hearts of Pub voters in the next 1-2 years.

There is still an enormous amount of Trump corruption and criminal behavior left to come to light between now and 2020. It will be interesting to see what straw actually breaks the camel’s back.

There is still an enormous amount of Trump corruption and criminal behavior left to come to light between now and 2020. It will be interesting to see what straw actually breaks the camel’s back.

"Between now and 2020" seems like a long time, but the Iowa caucuses are less than 18 months away. Any Republican planning to run will need to declare within the next 12 months at least.

I don't think a staunch social conservative has much of a chance in 2020 but hey I didn't think Donald stood a chance to be the GOP nominee or, eventually, the president.

I don't think a staunch social conservative has much of a chance in 2020 but hey I didn't think Donald stood a chance to be the GOP nominee or, eventually, the president.

Social conservatives dominate the Pub party these days. We're pretty much assured of getting a strong social conservative as the Pub nominee in 2020.

I think Kasich would have a good chance in 2020.

Put down the pipe. Never believe the pipe. Kasich won 1 state in 2016 and came close nowhere else. The party is in control of populist conservatives. They hate Kasich.

Back