• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump will be removed before he can finish his term

If your Romney why would you run? It is a losing cause for the GOP in 2020 a democrat president is all but certain. Serious republican contenders should be preparing for 2024 after the pendulum starts swinging back to right/center and the economy slows significantly/crashes under whatever far left candidate is elected.

my romney always runs

There’s no room left for decent Republican candidates.

I wouldn't say that. Any moderate Pub could primary Trump. It's just that they're not going to win the primary in the current environment. If Trump dies, becomes disabled or is somehow successfully impeached and convicted, I'd still bet on another social conservative firebrand to get the nomination. Probably Cruz or someone of his ilk. Trump rather miraculously won the EC in 2016. And if you watch Fox 24/7 you're living in a bubble that supports this administration. It'll take the Pubs badly losing a couple of general elections in a row with social conservative candidates before they realize they can't win with one.

Do you really think he would fare better than Kasich? Don't get me wrong. He wasn't a bad governer. But he's a yuge phony, and most on the right and the left know that. As a Pub, he was a successful moderate governer of a liberal state, much like Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan. But then he had to kiss up to the religious right in order to get the Pub nomination and change a bunch of his positions, just like McCain did 4 years before that. Trump's base knows that and hates him. Sure, establishment and libertarian leaning Pubs would show up in a primary to vote for him, but they are now only a fairly significant minority in their own party. In a Romney/Trump match-up, Romney would win UT, much of the rest of the mountain west, VA, maybe MD, NY, NJ and much of New England. But he'd get slaughtered in the entire midwest, southeast and southwest. Romney is the Pub version of John Edwards.

Romney wins in 2012 if not for the disastrous 44% comment, IMO. I'm not saying he could get elected, as the GOP power has gone far right nut job. But he would be a better alternative than Trump (obviously) or the collection of mediocre candidates the GOP trotted out in 2016.

As in the political preferences and desires of American citizens, voting and non-voting.

I'm late to this party so I may have missed important context, but I don't think the current leadership in either party reflects the true preferences and desires of over 50% of American citizens. I don't think most Americans are as far right or left as the current GOP / Dem leadership. I do think a moderate candidate could get elected if he/she had the support of one party or the other. Right now, that isn't the case, not due to preferences of the majority of American citizens, IMO, but due to the lunatic fringe running our political parties.

The rubes still love trump. Not tolerate. Not accept. They love him. You can’t be the nominee without the rubes. That’s the lesson of 2016.

The lunatic left fringe of Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, and Maxine Waters!

The rubes still love trump. Not tolerate. Not accept. They love him. You can’t be the nominee without the rubes. That’s the lesson of 2016.

Yep. Trump's rural, older, white, and mostly Evangelical base simply adores him. There's been article after article over the past two years in how they treat any bad news about him as "fake news", and they watch Fox 24/7 and believe everything they hear there. They've emotionally identified themselves with him, imo, and for Trump to fail or fall now would be as if they had failed. For that reason alone they'll stick with him to the bitter end. A few might turn if the economy goes south, but not enough to make a real difference within the GOP. It really has taken on the trappings of a cult, and any Republican who dares to challenge Trump in the 2020 GOP primaries will be in for a very rough ride (and rough reception in primary states), and will be lucky to win more than a handful of delegates, imo.

Completely agree. This is the endgame of decades of Republican indoctrination. They’ve created a base that will tolerate and feed rampant corruption to get liberal tears. There’s no straw. This is the GOP. Junebug desperately wants Democrats to end it without having to support Democrats. Ain’t happening.

I think there are plenty of conservatives who don’t want to believe the worst about their party’s current iteration, but every day Trump’s approval rating confirms it.

Exactly. Even if Trump loses in 2020, even if he’s impeached, he will be a kingmaker in GOP primaries. Even if he’s in jail, Trump will be a martyr.

They are convinced this is fake news, s product of the deep state.

Don't you remember his meeting with Kim Jong Un that went so well? He doesn't need to prepare. He thinks he is so great that preparation isn't necessary. He can just spout out bullshit and his cult falls in line.

Romney wins in 2012 if not for the disastrous 44% comment, IMO. I'm not saying he could get elected, as the GOP power has gone far right nut job. But he would be a better alternative than Trump (obviously) or the collection of mediocre candidates the GOP trotted out in 2016.

Just noticed your post. I reject your premise. That 47% comment was not nearly as damaging as Comey's email announcement and the ACA announced rate hikes less than 2 weeks from election day. In 2012, Obama won the EV 332-206, won the popular vote by 4%, and the only state he won by less than 3% was FL. Not a yuge blow out, but I don't see that 1 comment as having that large an effect. That comment came out in the press in mid September. He was already down in the polls at that time and did edge closer in Oct-Nov. Take a look at the polling from Sept-Nov of that year in the link below. He got closer to a dead heat in the ensuing weeks after that comment, and then Obama edged back ahead in the last couple of weeks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natio...the_United_States_presidential_election,_2012

And I'll double down on Trump routing Romney in a 2020 Pub primary. Romney is the definition of an establishment and globalist Pub. And that's just not where his party is right now. This is Trump's party until the base wakes up. And that base is showing zero signs of waking up. Ever since the 1st month of his presidency, his favorability numbers have been in the 38-43% range overall and > 85% of self identified Pubs, and they're hovering at 41-42% right now. The base is still loving this shite.

Who?

43e.jpg

I knew lurking on The Tunnels would pay off one day.

And it’s too late for candidates in Trump’s corner to back away from him.

Back