• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump's real goal

What worries me is that the more I talk to the people I know on 5th avenue, the more it seems they would be ok with Trump being a dictator. One went so far as to say "Hitler only fucked up when he started putting people in ovens." The people who don't know why authoritarian regimes or dictators are bad are the ones that threaten a democracy. It's the people who don't understand that while every dictator may not actually "put people in ovens", they are all clearly FAR more capable of atrocities than the head of a democracy. This stuff should be fundamental in American culture, but I do think Trump has shaken that bedrock, and THAT is what's dangerous.

It's like a "shirt sleeves to shirt sleeves in three generations" scenario, but with the foundation of democracy. That is to say it's as though the current generation is forgetting why democracy is the best form of government.

Computers make our form of government obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite

Getting close. Randomly selected samples of people voting on bills is surely better than bills being voted completely on party lines for no other reason than to keep power and influence in numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. We use randomly selected groups of Americans for far more important tasks than most bills.

I like how Bush was dumb enough to run the greatest conspiracy ever concocted and how Trump is such a mongoloid that he's going to orchestrate a coup and become a dictator. Get a grip, people. These people are either tards or they aren't. You can't have it both ways.

In the case of Trump, it's pretty clear he doesn't have the acumen to pull it off, nor does he have the support within his own party. At least it appears this guy isn't the same dufus who was talking the other day about how he's going to pull off a coup, as if the military is just blindly Trumpist, if that's even a word.

I like how Bush was dumb enough to run the greatest conspiracy ever concocted and how Trump is such a mongoloid that he's going to orchestrate a coup and become a dictator. Get a grip, people. These people are either tards or they aren't. You can't have it both ways.

In the case of Trump, it's pretty clear he doesn't have the acumen to pull it off, nor does he have the support within his own party. At least it appears this guy isn't the same dufus who was talking the other day about how he's going to pull off a coup, as if the military is just blindly Trumpist, if that's even a word.

Hey, commie, has anyone, including the author of the original article on this thread, said Trump would be successful? No.

I have been consistent in my view that Trump is in over his head and would posit that it does not take Mental acumen to pull off a coup. There have been quite a few of these in the last 100 years,

You don't need mental acumen to consolidate power. You just need a lot of followers who don't have mental acumen.

I still believe he never wanted to win. The rubes were just rubier than he realized. Probably figures he will keep rolling with the grift, because conning rubes has pretty much been his whole resume.

I still believe he never wanted to win. The rubes were just rubier than he realized. Probably figures he will keep rolling with the grift, because conning rubes has pretty much been his whole resume.

I'm not certain Trump wanted to win, but I think the people around him wanted to win. They all had a plan and needed a suit to stand at the podium. This American Life had a good piece on Bannon et al.'s political strategy and ambition last weekend.

You don't need mental acumen to consolidate power. You just need a lot of followers who don't have mental acumen.

This is and always will be the greatest threat to democracy. It's why populism's core of questioning facts, science and education is so dangerous. Combine that with a salesperson like Trump, and you have the answer to why so many people are concerned.

Last edited:

+1

Trump's real goals are to do/say anything in a campaign style settings that gets applause and massages his ego, walk away from office as a triumphant demagogue, and to make money. Period.

Trump's real goals are to do/say anything in a campaign style settings that gets applause and massages his ego, walk away from office as a triumphant demagogue, and to make money. Period.

This. This is about two things:

1. Ego
2. Money

He has no interest in being a dictator. That would take way too much effort, and the risks would be too high (IE: death). He wants to make money....the Trump name is forever etched in the history books, and that will serve himself and his family well in the decades to come.

Reactions: ONW
I'm not sure if he wants to be a dictator. I do believe he thought the office of the president is like a CEO.

Back