• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trustees are AWOL

So heard today that there are some trustees positioned against Wellman but the vast majority are in support of him. Wellman also has apparently gone completely mad and he has recently stated that "he is even more excited about the basketball program after this season than last." My heart sank upon hearing this and it appears the athletic department is being run by someone with severe mental illness.

2NABQ.jpg

Based on the way this unfolded (giving Dino a new contract, then turning around and firing him, then the inexplicable hiring of Bz), I think there's little real oversight of Wellman. There might be people looking over his shoulder but he's probably got a cozy relationship with them. And maybe they were the ones pushing Ron to make the change before we had a decent replacement lined up? Oh well, when Ron and the Trustees are the only people left sitting in the Joel to watch this team play maybe then they'll realize they've made a colossal mistake and own up to it. But I doubt it. I'm sure in their minds it'll be us fickle fans who are to blame for this fiasco.

yes but isn't this the culture we want?

If the team quits on him for the rest of the season then he should be let go.If he gets to come back and the team performs up to standards then we should be middle of the road. Then the following season would project to a possible NCAA bid. Personally, I don't intend to make that journey and hope he will be replaced now.

It sounds like the players might be the only force that can stop Ron. Are they going to show for him tomorrow night or not? Otherwise, if he gets to next season and has a competitive team that are going to proceed with him to season 4 and beyond.

It sounds like the players might be the only force that can stop Ron. Are they going to show for him tomorrow night or not? Otherwise, if he gets to next season and has a competitive team that are going to proceed with him to season 4 and beyond.

I honestly think tomorrow night is a true teller. The top teams have all blown us out in ACC, and maybe we just didn't show up against Clemson, but if we don't show up again against a pitiful Gtech team and the team rolls over like they have been doing, we know it is the end and I think everyone else will finally know too.

If the kids quit, they're not the right culture... So we have to give him time to get kids that won't quit (no matter that they may have never played HS ball, are missing fingers from their shooting hand, and have vision so poor they don't qualify for lasik). They don't quit. And we continue to say we're in the ACC competing (we have a team that we use to recruit extra bodies for the debate team), give us the money suckers....
Bzz for at least 3 yrs..

Happy friggin Vday.. I couldn't be happier.

Big money donors were behind firing Dino; they raised the funds for that. I'm pretty sure [Redacted] had to be sold to them as a long-term replacement. I think last year was a "throw away" in many eyes. But this year, with how it has gone into the shitter, is going to be a lot harder for Mr. Wellman to explain to the men that write the checks. Stated previuosly by DV7.

DV7- I have not agreed with you on this all along but this statement is just an out and out lie. I am high enough on the donor list that I am sure I would have been contacted to provide money for a Buyout. I was never contacted. Further, I know the guy who is first on the list and he has never said anything like this to me, and finally, I know the guy who is in the second 10 on the list and he gave up his floor seats because he was mad at the firing of Dino and certainly would not have contributed to this. That is not the way that Wake works. Another way to look at it is that because Dino was owed money to terminate him Ron had less money to attract another coach. Thus the hire we have.

Let me finish with this item, I said that if Buzz was a good coach it would show up in February of this year-2012(when the hire was made). I have seen nothing to make me think that our current coach can be anymore than middle of the road and do not think he is the coach we need. Sorry it has taken this long but I believe in giving people a chance and I have done that now. I will still be there encouraging the team and hoping for a miracle but I don't see it coming.

Big money donors were behind firing Dino; they raised the funds for that. I'm pretty sure [Redacted] had to be sold to them as a long-term replacement. I think last year was a "throw away" in many eyes. But this year, with how it has gone into the shitter, is going to be a lot harder for Mr. Wellman to explain to the men that write the checks. Stated previuosly by DV7.

DV7- I have not agreed with you on this all along but this statement is just an out and out lie. I am high enough on the donor list that I am sure I would have been contacted to provide money for a Buyout. I was never contacted. Further, I know the guy who is first on the list and he has never said anything like this to me, and finally, I know the guy who is in the second 10 on the list and he gave up his floor seats because he was mad at the firing of Dino and certainly would not have contributed to this. That is not the way that Wake works. Another way to look at it is that because Dino was owed money to terminate him Ron had less money to attract another coach. Thus the hire we have.

Let me finish with this item, I said that if Buzz was a good coach it would show up in February of this year-2012(when the hire was made). I have seen nothing to make me think that our current coach can be anymore than middle of the road and do not think he is the coach we need. Sorry it has taken this long but I believe in giving people a chance and I have done that now. I will still be there encouraging the team and hoping for a miracle but I don't see it coming.

Reading this makes me feel like we're stuck with this bozo.

I would agree with BZZ, but put Lobo at 25, max. We went to a bowl game this year. Too many days of App State coming down and beating us to start the season, or Clemson trying to hang 100 on us for the Wake fanbase to really get up in arms about an assistant coach when our team is going to bowl games on a regular basis. LOWF, maybe, but the fact is that label is appropriate (historically) in football. I think the long term Wake fans understand that the football success we have experienced under Grobe is gravy but that situation is fleeting. Wake Forest is a "basketball school" in the eyes of most alums.

Not anymore...sorry

Not anymore...sorry

I love football, but Wake will always be a basketball school. I think Grobe is the right coach for our football team and we have done some great things during his tenure, but we will never be relevant on the national stage in football. Although fleeting, our basketball team has made noise nationally...and I believe with the right coach we could make some noise.

Can you provide any insight into how much money we would need to come up with to make Harv our new men's basketball coach?

Are you saying that donors didn't offer to pay for some of Dino's buyout or that they have not been contacted about buying [Redacted] out?

Sorry, I just want to be clear on this. Cheers.

I much prefer football to basketball because I like the game better. Now with BZZZ, the basketball is just ruining my happy life.

Are you saying that donors didn't offer to pay for some of Dino's buyout or that they have not been contacted about buying [Redacted] out?

Sorry, I just want to be clear on this. Cheers.

Seems clear he was insinuating both, no?

DV7- I was not contacted about buying Dino out nor anyone that I know, I have not been contacted about buying Buzz out or anyone that I know. I have been contacted last Saturday regarding money for updating the Locker room at Bridger for Football so contacts are occurring for other things. Hope this helps.

There is absolutely no way Wellman can afford to keep Bzz if Wake loses out.

DV7- I was not contacted about buying Dino out nor anyone that I know, I have not been contacted about buying Buzz out or anyone that I know. I have been contacted last Saturday regarding money for updating the Locker room at Bridger for Football so contacts are occurring for other things. Hope this helps.

It's nice to have someone be candid and has shown their willing to open up their pocketbook for the university.

There is absolutely no way Wellman can afford to keep Bzz if Wake loses out.

I'd be curious to know how many of the few remaining season ticket holders are planning to get season tickets next year.

I'd be curious to know how many of the few remaining season ticket holders are planning to get season tickets next year.

I know a few couples that have said that getting season tickets next year depends on if [Redacted] is still the coach or not.

As stated earlier, my wife and I will be there next year and pulling hard for the Deacs and frankly we need all our fans there, the way to have enough money for good coaches is to support the School, I know it seems counterintuitive but I beleive this. I know that the there are people in the administration that are fans like all of us and they are feeling the pressure but we have what we have. I can only go back to how long Jim Caldwell stayed to understand that we need to be there for the long haul.

Back