• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tuesday Practice Report

the_Oracle

Reaction score
No scrimmage notes as I did not make it this past Saturday. Heard encouraging things about the offense though.

Depth Chart Update: Defensive Line
1st team: Thompson, Whitlock, Dorty
2nd team: Redding, Booi, Vogelsang

For those keeping score at home, yes, Dorty has moved back to putting his hand in the dirt after a brief stint at OLB. Whitlock and Booi are the NGs, lined up over the center. I don't expect any of the three DL spots to go down to the wire; first team has really distinguished themselves. To address some of the guys that come up on the boards a lot, Souza and Gallagher are both out injured, and Mosby is behind Booi.

Tuesday Practice Notes
-2 hr practice
-Shorts (no tackling)
-great weather
-30 min of 11v11 (last 10 min were 2 min drill)

-Saw a couple of rarities today: Camp dropped a catch-able ball, and Josh Harris fumbled (he recovered).
-OL/DL was pretty standard. Same standouts as always. As a whole I think the OL looked a bit better, particularly Blitch and Hoag.
-While Lobo was pleased with the offensive line today, he was not happy with the pace of the offense. He emphasized looking to the sideline immediately after a play ends and hurrying to the line. Our offense seems to utilize many different personnel packages.
-QBs and WRs worked a lot on underneath routes, focusing on the movement of the LBs. Looks like we have a lot of option routes; if the QB and WR make the same correct read, its pretty much impossible to stop...the key is making the same correct read of course.
-Galloway is placing a large emphasis on route running and hands, and I can understand why. We've been dropping a lot of passes, and some of our receivers have poor footwork.
-Offense definitely won the first 20 minutes of team. I counted three touchdowns (and they scrimmage from between the 40s). Harris took two to the house, and there was a long touchdown pass from (I think) Stachitas to Scooby. AJ Marshall nearly picked it off, but couldn't quite recover in time. Based on Russ' comments afterward, it actually was a blown assignment by Des Cooper.
-Defense turned the tide during 2 minute drill. Zach Thompson picked off Tanner twice (he's got great hands for a Dlineman), and Cooper redeemed himself with an interception of Cross on what became the last play of practice. Cross' reps are pretty limited in team drills right now, so throwing a pick on the first play of his drive is quite a dagger.

Next practice is Thursday at 4:30.

For those keeping score at home, yes, Dorty has moved back to putting his hand in the dirt after a brief stint at OLB.

Thank God. Could never understand the squawking of people who said our linebackers were too slow then turned around and wanted Dorty moved to OLB.

Thanks for the report. Encouraging news about the O-line. Many agree that a lot of our struggles on both sides of the ball started in the trenches.

Thanks for the practice report. Harris will be special if he can stay healthy all year. It's good to see the new coach getting involved.

Thanks for the update. quick question, though. Harris has been a stud but the o-line has not been as spectacular. Do you expect Harris to still be able to produce during the season if the o-line doesn't improve drastically? Or is the o-line's problem more with pass blocking than run blocking?

Questions about Thompson's picks.
1. Where they just low passes that Thompson intercepted at the line? If so, he's got to have really good hands considering Tanner's cannon.
2. Or was he dropped back in coverage in a zone blitz scheme?

Continues to blow my mind how little production we've gotten to date from our Nease D linemen. Im not too surprised about Booi to be honest because he has always struck me as a total space cadet but the other two seemed like they would make an instant impact.

Any word on the linebackers? Its going to be interesting to see who plays and where.

1. Where they just low passes that Thompson intercepted at the line? If so, he's got to have really good hands considering Tanner's cannon.

One was at the line, where it looked like the typical lineman sticking his hand up to deflect the pass, but he one-handed it and came down with it. Not sure about the other.

Thanks for the update. quick question, though. Harris has been a stud but the o-line has not been as spectacular. Do you expect Harris to still be able to produce during the season if the o-line doesn't improve drastically? Or is the o-line's problem more with pass blocking than run blocking?

I do expect Harris to produce regardless of the line. Even though I think our OL could be a real weakness this season, remember that we return 4 starters from last year. Moderate improvement from them should at least cancel out the loss of Nenon. So I really can't see the OL being worse than it was last year, and considering Josh averaged something like 6 yards per carry last year, yes I think he will produce. And I would also agree that the OL is better at run blocking.

Also, keep in mind that they aren't tackling in practice right now, so the defense is essentially playing tag. Obviously Harris' incredible explosiveness and great vision are key for those long touchdown runs, but the OL is doing something right if the RB gets through the first two levels without getting touched (and of course, the front seven is doing something wrong).

The first one was actually a screen pass, so Tanner did not have his normal heat on it. Second one I did not have a good view of.

Any word on the linebackers? Its going to be interesting to see who plays and where.

I plan on providing the two-deep for every position before the end of spring practice, don't worry. I have been saving the LBs though; definitely the most wide-open position we've got. I agree it'll be very interesting to see how it shakes out. Wilber will obviously be starting but the other 3 spots are anything but locked down in my opinion.

Thanks again for the all-around information and analysis Oracle.

Absolutely nothing even remotely fucking "oracular" about this thread.

#1 this OL will be led by the 325 pound animal Joe Looney. Most guys on the OL shine as RS JR's in college...that is essentially what Looney is.

Look for Looney and Godfrey to lead a ressurgent line where Lobo can concentrate on the run game in lieu of adding staff. Also look for Dennis to put all the past in the past. I expect him, now that he has fought through adversity, to excel and become the player to match his prodigous ability. At 335 (he'll lose 15 by the start gun) he is a 5th year Jumbo who is ready to follow DeGeare into the NFL. He will join Joe Looney in the big leagues.

Absolutely nothing even remotely fucking "oracular" about this thread.

#1 this OL will be led by the 325 pound animal Joe Looney. Most guys on the OL shine as RS JR's in college...that is essentially what Looney is.

Look for Looney and Godfrey to lead a ressurgent line where Lobo can concentrate on the run game in lieu of adding staff. Also look for Dennis to put all the past in the past. I expect him, now that he has fought through adversity, to excel and become the player to match his prodigous ability. At 335 (he'll lose 15 by the start gun) he is a 5th year Jumbo who is ready to follow DeGeare into the NFL. He will join Joe Looney in the big leagues.

Who shit in your cereal this morning?

You've probably missed his other posts Lectro, but he's been saying Looney has been the big standout on the O-line since the first practice report he put up.

Back