• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tuition Raised/Best Value Award

These lists are useless. Until a family knows how much they will actually pay, it is impossible to evaluate whether they are getting "value."

IMHO, the concept of value needs to start with the family that is one dollar north of receiving any financial aid. They pay full tuition but are probably acutely aware of the other ways they could spend or invest their limited resources.

There could be a separate but equally important metric of value for families that fall at different locations on the financial aid curve.

There is simply no way to measure value without taking into consideration the price that the family is actually asked to pay. Wake has priced itself as a luxury good. For price-sensitive consumers that do not receive a discount, there are better options out there. For sake of discussion, I would love to hear a straight-faced argument suggesting otherwise.

Last edited:
I thank my lucky stars I went to Wake on a faculty/staff dependents discount. No way I could have afforded it otherwise.

Thank you Wake Forest for ensuring that I will NEVER choose to spend my hard-earned money to send my kids to my alma mater. Unless they get scholarships, they're going to have to be happy with a state school.

It was $10,500 when I started and up to $17,000 when I left. Fortunately, I had a scholarship that covered most of it. There's no way that a Wake degree is worth $250k, when you can get a comparable degree from ECU or UNC for a fraction of price.

Thank you Wake Forest for ensuring that I will NEVER choose to spend my hard-earned money to send my kids to my alma mater. Unless they get scholarships, they're going to have to be happy with a state school.

It was $10,500 when I started and up to $17,000 when I left. Fortunately, I had a scholarship that covered most of it. There's no way that a Wake degree is worth $250k, when you can get a comparable degree from ECU or UNC for a fraction of price.

QFT. And it sucks.

So apparently we are now on Princeton Reviews list of "Best Value Colleges." I'm not really sure how we're a best value since we just raised tuition to $42,700 so all in it's $58,060. This makes us one of the most expensive schools in the country.

http://news.wfu.edu/2012/02/08/wake-forest-included-on-‘best-value-colleges’-list/
Yes, one of probably a hundred schools that costs around $40k a year. Top 25-30 university nationally and private, no surprise.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I thank my lucky stars I went to Wake on a faculty/staff dependents discount. No way I could have afforded it otherwise.

Me either...I wouldn't have put my parents through that. Mine was a benefit from my dad being a Duke University employee though not a Wake Faculty member.

Jesus Christ. I graduated in 2007 -- all in then was 47K. Now it's all in at 58K. That is fucking absurd.

I cant believe tuition has pretty much doubled from the time I started 15 years ago

Eh, I think that choosing Wake Forest over University of Texas will end up having a positive marginal NPV for me. And my parents are paying full price.

Eh, I think that choosing Wake Forest over University of Texas will end up having a positive marginal NPV for me. And my parents are paying full price.

I mean the education that we are receiving is some of the best but I could've gone to the Kelley School of Business at IU for a lot less and Kelley is ranked higher than Calloway. I'm happy that I chose Wake but its getting to a point where I question is Wake really worth that much more. I'm just glad that I'm not gonna be a freshmen next year since at this rate itll be 65+ by the time they graduate in 2016.

Look at me!! My parents pay full tuition!!!

#subtlebrag

(and waste of money)

LOL WUT

I think if there's any way at all you can put together the tuition money for it, going to a school like Wake is worth it over going to a degree mill like ECU or even a decent state school like UNC. Compared to my bum high school friends that went to Carolina or State, I had a better overall college experience. I also learned more and was better prepared for whatever I decided was my next step in life.

LOL WUT

I think if there's any way at all you can put together the tuition money for it, going to a school like Wake is worth it over going to a degree mill like ECU or even a decent state school like UNC. Compared to my bum high school friends that went to Carolina or State, I had a better overall college experience. I also learned more and was better prepared for whatever I decided was my next step in life.

if you went to unc with "your bum friends" you would likely be better off in the end regardless.

wake flat isn't worth the money any more. makes me sad

If you are a dedicated student you can get a great education just about anywhere.
The thing is there are just very few really dedicated students, and those people usually get into really good schools anyway.
Wake was good for me because it made me work where as I could've done better at State or UNC with less work. My 2.7 easily would've been a 3.0 (probably more) at any state school and that kind of hurt initially after college, but now, almost 7 years out, it doesn't matter and I'm glad I had the "wake experience". That being said, I had my tuition paid for so I don't really have that concern. If I was paying for it there's no way I could justify Wake without significant scholarship.....just no way. It's actually pretty sad.
Wake's tuition increases are slower than public school but the room and board requirement is really what's driving up the costs. 11K+ for 9 months of room and board? Give me a fucking break....

Switching gears a little, something's got to give. I mean, it's not just Wake, it's just about every private school except for the very few truely elite schools...and even then it might not be totally worth it unless someone else is footing the bill

Last edited:
Back