• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tuition Raised/Best Value Award

LOL WUT

I think if there's any way at all you can put together the tuition money for it, going to a school like Wake is worth it over going to a degree mill like ECU or even a decent state school like UNC. Compared to my bum high school friends that went to Carolina or State, I had a better overall college experience. I also learned more and was better prepared for whatever I decided was my next step in life.

What if you graduated from UNC-CH with a better GPA than you had at Wake, got laid more, and your dad gave you a check for the difference in cost between UNC and Wake, which would be about $120,000?

And you can hate on UNC-CH all you like, but it's more than a decent state school. NC State is a decent state school.

ETA: You probably would have gotten a nicer car somewhere along the way too.

What if you graduated from UNC-CH with a better GPA than you had at Wake, got laid more, and your dad gave you a check for the difference in cost between UNC and Wake, which would be about $120,000?

And you can hate on UNC-CH all you like, but it's more than a decent state school. NC State is a decent state school.

ETA: You probably would have gotten a nicer car somewhere along the way too.

HAHAHAHA

I think we have a winner.

This.

In the 2012 USNWR rankings we're 25th and UNC is 29th. Its not like they are tiers below us.

Yeahh, but that ranking has a lot of factors in play as well.

The general undergraduate education as UNC is nowhere close to WFU. UNLESS you are a really really motivated student, which are few and far between once you actually get to college. Ask me how I know.

Yeahh, but that ranking has a lot of factors in play as well.

The general undergraduate education as UNC is nowhere close to WFU. UNLESS you are a really really motivated student, which are few and far between once you actually get to college. Ask me how I know.

If you are studying any of the sciences I would choose the state school with their pool of resources over Wake every time, and this comes from someone who double majored in Physics and Computer Science at MSD.

The lab resources and variety of study tracks available for a chem, bio, or physics major are superior at pretty much any major state school.

58k is not the actual cost of tuition. At schools in the not-quite-ivy-league tier that do not have massive endowments, one segment of the student population is going to subsidize another portion of the student population. Also, Wake is a need-blind school, so that puts extra constraints on the budget.

"Awards" like this take into account things like average aid packages.

Still, you have to commend a school like Sewanee that cut tuition by 10% across the board for everyone.

How you know?

Am I doing it right?

Lulz, well out of the 8 kids that attended UNC from my high school graduating class, I was the only one to graduate in 4 years with a degree. Only 2 of us actually got a degree, period. That was definitely the "getting lost in the crowd" effect. Some of these kids were actually really smart too.

If I had been fairly motivated and a self-starter, I would have gotten straight A's and B's really pretty easily. To get a really good education at UNC you have to push yourself beyond just getting good grades there. It's just the reality of a school that size. The teachers have to grade/teach/construct classes for the masses. At WFU I don't think that's the case.

If you are studying any of the sciences I would choose the state school with their pool of resources over Wake every time, and this comes from someone who double majored in Physics and Computer Science at MSD.

The lab resources and variety of study tracks available for a chem, bio, or physics major are superior at pretty much any major state school.

Yeah, that's probably true. That's definitely one area I don't have as much experience with. UNC did just finish building a really sweet computer science building/addition. However, there were also some serious flaws with their CS track according to a friend of mine. That has hopefully been fixed with the new curriculum requirements.

I'm sure top to bottom things are much tougher at Wake, you just cant hide in classes that small. UNC, like any school though has some top notch programs, that we cant even compete with. I loved the Anthro program at Wake, but I would have loved to been in a program with the resources of UNC Anthro.

Of my friends who attended both UNC and State, I'd say the Wolfpack grads had a more challenging college experience. Hell I knew a few Tarheel grads who had a similar workload than I did in school.

I'll let Heavy Petter inform of you of my alma mater.

Look at me!! My parents pay full tuition!!!

#subtlebrag

(and waste of money)

That's a pretty relevant fact for the purposes of this thread. For the record, my parents are high income earners, but they certainly aren't wealthy.

And, yes, it will most likely have been worth it for me. You don't know my situation, but I assure you that Wake Forest provided me an amazing opportunity that I almost certainly would not have had at a large state school.

My little brother is looking at schools and I am going to make sure he understands what paying back student loans is like before he decides to go to Wake. For 250k, I am pretty sure I am going to encourage him to go to UNC where he can get a top 25 education for 1/6 of the price.

My little brother is looking at schools and I am going to make sure he understands what paying back student loans is like before he decides to go to Wake. For 250k, I am pretty sure I am going to encourage him to go to UNC where he can get a top 25 education for 1/6 of the price.

Not that it changes what you said, but UNC is really more like 1/3 the price of Wake

Don't know any employer who looks at 'where you went to school' first. A diploma nowadays is a 'work permit'. Someone said, 'better college experience'. Give me a friggin break, what does that even mean?

What a joke to charge someone that much for education.

For 58k/yr, students really should be encouraged to pick a degree that directly links to a specific job field.

To be fair, I've yet to meet someone at Wake who is paying full price for their education here.

Back