• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tunnels Gun Rights Thread

Brangus

Reaction score
So in the unpopular opinions thread, I saw this statement:

I think all guns should be banned from America unless they are hunting rifles. Can't imagine why anybody would need a gun.

It's the unpopular opinions thread, so debating it there wasn't the right place. I can give a few examples as to when a gun is useful.

Three times when I was a kid we had break ins at the family home. Twice my father fired over the intruders head to run him out of the yard as he didn't flee the property when the flood lights came on. The third time Dad detained the burglar at gunpoint and he was arrested and incarcerated. (Yes my folks moved after that).

When I was in Miami for work I had a pistol in my suitcase. My hanging bag and other luggage (I was there to do a week of depositions) were still in the hall on the cart, so I propped the door with the bar latch. Big, big mistake. A large man on PCP (as was later determined) came through the door, told me I was "fucking his girl Tracy" and that he was going to kill me. I unzipped the duffle that was on the bed and pulled a small revolver. I was scared shitless but was ready to pull the trigger and told him I would shoot him if he came closer. He cursed me and took one step closer, allowing the door to close against the latch bar again. I cocked the revolver, used every curse word I knew, and told him to leave or I would kill him. He turned around, threw the door back open, pushed over my luggage cart, and busted the exit sign and stairway door on his way out. The cops caught him on a sidewalk down the street after I called 911. I had to testify, the whole deal. He spent 6 months locked up and is now on probation (he also resisted arrest pretty intensely).

I'm not telling this to be a tough guy. I was scared. But I think having the gun deterred him enough to keep from hurting me.

Unless you have steel doors and doorframes deadbolts are pretty useless, and then there are windows. Just sayin'.

In all seriousness, I said that on the unpopular opinions thread, but it was primarily for the shock effect. I'm fine with the Second Amendment/having a gun for personal protection.

I do think that there needs to be much, much more stringent gun laws, with harsher penalties if your gun winds up in the hands of somebody that shouldn't have it. Stricter penalties for folks who aren't licensed to carry guns, and extensive background checks for anybody wishing to carry a gun.

I never plan on owning a gun nor do I really see the need for it where I live, but clearly we have established I am in a bubble more than most. If peeps feel the need for guns then all the more power to them. I believe they make society a more dangerous place than a safe place.

Doofus gonna doofus. I really wish we could hammer out some common sense gun control measures with input from citizens - both gun owners and non gun owners - without the arms manufacturing lobby controlling the narrative.

I predict success for this thread.

It could happen! DF27 clarified and gave a reasoned response.

My personal hangup is large capacity magazines (my personal definition of LCM's is anything over 10 rifle rounds or 15 pistol rounds...there may be a legal definition). Useless for hunting or the range, the only thing a large capacity or drum magazine is good for is efficiently murdering people.

It could happen! DF27 clarified and gave a reasoned response.

My personal hangup is large capacity magazines (my personal definition of LCM's is anything over 10 rifle rounds or 15 pistol rounds...there may be a legal definition). Useless for hunting or the range, the only thing a large capacity or drum magazine is good for is efficiently murdering people.

I 100% agree with this. I would love to hear why, outside of military usage, anybody needs large capacity magazines for civilian life.

Brangus, where did y'all live where you kept having people break into your house? Those are some crazy stories, especially the PCP one.

Buying a gun -- mandatory background check, registry of all firearms, mandatory gun safety classes, and this is the minimum required. I understand the complications presented by our current 2nd amendment jurisprudence, but my dream is that guns are treated at least as seriously as driving a car is under the law.

Because what if the government tries to implement sharia law

I know you're trolling/playing a role...

but if the government wants to kill you then they will do so before you have a chance to move, and your gun won't do a damn thing about it.

I 100% agree with this. I would love to hear why, outside of military usage, anybody needs large capacity magazines for civilian life.

Yes. I wish they were illegal. Any gun that is made to look like an assault weapon, I wish it was illegal for civilians. I also wish there was some way to make sure the mentally ill do not get access to guns. Nothing is 100%, but do a better job of keeping guns out of their hands. Maybe start holding family members accountable. If you have a mentally ill child, you should not have guns in the house. Also, would love for all guns to have biometric triggers.

not gonna take my guns, and i haven't hunted in a decade. i am sorry, skeet shooting is a great outing with friends.

not gonna take my guns, and i haven't hunted in a decade. i am sorry, skeet shooting is a great outing with friends.

You're not skeet shooting with an assault weapon. No one wants to take your shotgun.

Back